Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You are very ignorant.

These jobs don't pay for anything.

These are very hard jobs; the require standing for long periods of time, and the environment is awful!

Ignorant? Do tell. Have you ever worked these jobs? I have. The environment is no worse than any other job and I've worked jobs on an assembly line which were much more tiresome than flipping burgers.

I'm assuming you decided not to read my post where I clearly stated that these are unskilled jobs. They're not going to pay very much.... unless you want to pay $30 for a Big Mac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:37 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
There are careers and there are jobs. Jobs are great to pick up experience and extra money. Not all jobs pay the same, some more then others. Please don't expect all jobs to pay all your bills and more, depending on where you are in life. As you go through life consider looking towards starting a career sooner then later. Life has a way of putting more bills in your mailbox sooner then you think. Don't wait till your 33 and have two kids to decide that your current job doesn't quite pay the bills.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
There are careers and there are jobs. Jobs are great to pick up experience and extra money. Not all jobs pay the same, some more then others. Please don't expect all jobs to pay all your bills and more, depending on where you are in life. As you go through life consider looking towards starting a career sooner then later. Life has a way of putting more bills in your mailbox sooner then you think. Don't wait till your 33 and have two kids to decide that your current job doesn't quite pay the bills.
Correction, it's a great way for a teenager to gain work experience not a person who is a college grad.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Buggy whip makers lost their jobs 100 years ago, along wheel wheel rights (they made wagon wheels), and on and on down through time as the need for them dried up.

The days of a burger flipper ending soon, replaced by machines.

HOW MOMENTUM MACHINES PLANS TO DISRUPT THE FAST FOOD INDUSTRY WITH A ROBOTIC BURGER MAKING MACHINE - PBT Consulting

One person to feed in whole tomatoes, meat, condiments, etc., and the machine does everything needed to make the hamburger. They can pay for themselves in as little as 1 year from the labor saving alone. They can make better burgers than humans can, at a far less cost per burger at a rate of 360 per hour. Each is made on an individual basis, as ordered. Coupled with a touch screen computer to take the orders, and a card reader to take the money, about 90% of the help to run a fast food burger restaurant is gone. Doing away with all the human help, allows a restaurant to make perfect burgers as ordered, and allows savings in help to be able to use better ingredients in the making of burgers at the same price.

Just think, machines like this can end the cry to pay fast food restaurant workers $15 an hour. At $15 an hour wages, the machine would pay for itself in 6 months or less.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Correction, it's a great way for a teenager to gain work experience not a person who is a college grad.
Correction, it's an avenue to take for ANYONE who for whatever reason, whatever age and whatever educational level, can't find a job in any other field and who needs to keep the wolf from the door and a roof above the head until something better opens up.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:22 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Sounds more like the place you worked had crappy management, EVERY McDonald's I have been in had at least one person doing each of the steps you listed, pretty much the same as every fast food place.

McDonald's type jobs like all minimum wage(or close to it) jobs were NEVER meant to be household supporting jobs, they are for teens, retired folks, and for those wanting to provide a little extra money for the household.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM

52 posts, read 49,606 times
I have a best friend who has worked at McDonald's for the past two years. It's terrible pay, long hours, and erratic schedules. And she admits it's not for everyone. If you're not accustomed to working in a fast-paced, high-stress environment and on your feet for long periods of time, and making minimum wage while the owner rakes in 100,000 plus per month (she saw the books once) then I wouldn't suggest taking a job at Micky D's.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahgx3 View Post
I have a best friend who has worked at McDonald's for the past two years. It's terrible pay, long hours, and erratic schedules. And she admits it's not for everyone. If you're not accustomed to working in a fast-paced, high-stress environment and on your feet for long periods of time, and making minimum wage while the owner rakes in 100,000 plus per month (she saw the books once) then I wouldn't suggest taking a job at Micky D's.

Telemarketing and call center jobs are much better options for someone looking to get a job out of college while searching for something better. Fast Food and retail jobs are mainly for the people who fall into the category below.

Teens
Ex-cons
Welfare Recipients
Drug Addicts

I can even imagine why someone who went through four years of studying, writing papers, and taking exams and accept a burger job right after graduation.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
People who work at McDonald's should get paid more, no joke. I worked there a couple years ago and it was extremely stressful beyond belief. They were always short handed so it made it even worse. For example:

1. I would take a persons order
2. Run into the back and throw some meat on the grill (I also had to make sure I wasn't short on fries!)
3. Get on assembly and make the sandwhich (which sometimes could be like 8 sandwiches)
4. Get the meat off the grill if I didn't burn it already
5. Run up to front counter and bag the food
6. Give the food to the pissed off customer (don't forget the drink)
7. Rinse and repeat

This is how it sometimes was for me. So yeah, don't work at McDonald's
you just described a job

notice that you left said job... hopefully for something better

ALL "jobs" should pay more, however we dont live in a utopia with unicorns and shht

Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahgx3 View Post
The owner is not making 100k per month -_-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment