Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single pushing 30 seeking career change advice, currently data entry clerk, lost in life, tired of big cities, enjoy country settings, no bachelor’s degree

Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times

Advertisements

I am lost at this point in my life -- I want to change employment for the better. But I've no idea where to begin.

I currently hold a position in data entry at a military contractor in Northern VA. Pay is lousy, and cost-of-living is dangerously high. Half of my paycheck goes to rent. The rest are not enough to get comfortable. Food takes a lot, and there is little left for else. At this point, I am viewed as a very poor bastard. I have to be cheap because, well, I don't have money to burn. I hate being cheap.

As America is one big service country nowadays, what is a good job for a person like me? Few details about me. Pushing 30, living by myself without a significant other. I've been living in big cities in order to be near employment. I don't like suburbs or cities. I like being in rural areas. I also am getting worn out with this area. I think the east coast doesn't please me anymore. But the jobs I don't mind having seems to be located in densely populated areas around here or anywhere else. I also don't hold a bachelor's degree, but I would like to go back and pursue a bachelor in science, but the major is still unknown at this point. I was thinking I might be an engineer or work in IT. But those require heavy thinking and long hours, don't they? Really, I have little insight as how to play it forward.

In short, I need help determining what kind of job that I don't mind working and not hating it enough to drink myself to death come retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
A couple of things here:
- living in a rural area will seriously limit your job choices
- not having a college degree will seriously limit your choices of high-paying jobs
- accept that long hours and hard work is part of being successful

Next, take stock in who you really are:
- if you go to school, will you finish? Are you serious about school?
- when you take a job, do you go above and beyond your duties or just do the minimum to get by?
- do you prefer to have a lot of structure in your work or are you able to just jump in and figure stuff out?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
In as much as you don't know what you want to do and your income is not making it have you considered a second job to find out about other opportunities? You are single, sounds like you have few things holding you back, and you could use the money. Like Sassberto said you will be held back because of not having a degree. Have you considered completing an education in a field other than IT or Enginerring? It is never to late to start. I am soon to be 43 and will complete my MBA this May. Took a while but I am almost there.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
A couple of things here:
- living in a rural area will seriously limit your job choices
- not having a college degree will seriously limit your choices of high-paying jobs
- accept that long hours and hard work is part of being successful

Next, take stock in who you really are:
- if you go to school, will you finish? Are you serious about school?
- when you take a job, do you go above and beyond your duties or just do the minimum to get by?
- do you prefer to have a lot of structure in your work or are you able to just jump in and figure stuff out?

1) Yes, I know living in a rural area will limit job choices. But the less obsclates, the better?
2) Precisely why I am going back. When I scope the papers, employers are wanting degrees (I'm seeing "associates" more often these days) for the basic jobs like file clerks and receptionists!
3) This I am aware. But we all have limits. I rarely have to push myself over the limits. Moreover, I don't want to.
---

1)Yes, very serious about school. As we speak, I'm filling out financial aids, grants, and selling toys to raise funds for tuition. I am mixed between aboyt going to a brick-and-mortar college versus taking online classes.
2) go above, beyond, and out there. I always put myself fully into work and work my hardest every and each day. I never do the minimum. At the current job, it's becoming so everyone else do the minimum because I work faster and harder than everyone else thus I get dumped with the majority of the work. People love to take advantage of you at dead-end jobs.
3)I'm content with both. I will take either way depending on the situation. I find the latter to be more challenging.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In as much as you don't know what you want to do and your income is not making it have you considered a second job to find out about other opportunities? You are single, sounds like you have few things holding you back, and you could use the money. Like Sassberto said you will be held back because of not having a degree. Have you considered completing an education in a field other than IT or Enginerring? It is never to late to start. I am soon to be 43 and will complete my MBA this May. Took a while but I am almost there.
I have little time beside work as it is. I commute 30 minutes everyday in order to keep the residence costs down. In N. Va, that's like an hour or two with all the traffic. I don't know how I would manage myself having two jobs. I have very little experience employment-wise. I believe having a degree will open a few doors even if I don't have anything to prove.

I'm open to alternatives. But what? I have no idea. There is photography, but it is very unstable. It never is, but the sooner the better! What field are you in? I truly want to get a bachelor's as soon as possible. How many fields there are? Maybe I'll do the elimination game...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
I will give you the best advice I can based upon my own expericence. You have to really take a look at what is important to you about a job. Pay? benefits? commute time? nice atmosphere? respect? dignity? decent treatment? The chances are that you will have to trade off some things to get others. I am employed at at&t (used to be Bellsouth) and I am there for two reasons- pay and benefits. If that is what your main goal is then you might want to look at a company like at&t BUT you also have to accept that you will be treated like a 5 year old, have an a**hole boss and never once be told you did a good job. No matter how well you do- you can get 99 things right and never hear a thing until the 1 in 100 things you got wrong. I have a job I hate coming to everyday and work for people I hate working for. When I pull into the parking lot in the morning, I actually feel sick. I do it for the pay and benefits but somedays I wonder if all the crap is worth it. On the other hand you can work for a company that pays you less and has crappy benefits but where you and your work will be respected if you work hard for them. It is all in what you think is the most important thing for you.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
If you don't have a lot of things holding you back, then why not try to follow your interests and hobbies?

You may have to "find" opportunities to get employment in various areas. You'll find some you'll like better than others. When you find something of interest, then it's time to "make" your own opportunities doing that ... by more education, more experience, and applying yourself.

Life's too short, IMO, to slave away at something you hate doing for most of your life. Even if you "find" yourself doing something that isn't the biggest bucks and benefits, there's many other factors which should motivate you.

As long as you have determination and motivation to succeed, and are willing to work to achieve your happiness .... it's available to you. Don't go for a degree .... expense and mental effort ... unless you have a clear vision of what you're going to do with it. Also, keep in mind that a lot of "service" jobs can lead to pretty good pay and benefits, too.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
1)Yes, very serious about school. As we speak, I'm filling out financial aids, grants, and selling toys to raise funds for tuition. I am mixed between aboyt going to a brick-and-mortar college versus taking online classes.
Then your #1 priority is finishing school. The job should just pay the bills. Concentrate on school, and most importantly, the people you meet there. Grow relationships there, these people will become your colleagues.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. After some consideration, I guess I could slave away until I complete my BS - hoping to shorten the length shorter than 4 years so I can open up more opportunities sooner.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment