U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 02:41 PM

134 posts, read 212,899 times

Advertisements

I am bored at work. I’ve been at this job for about 2 years. I used to ask for more work but I don’t anymore. I didn’t want to keep pushing the issue and make it too obvious that I’m not really busy. But they do know I have plenty of time on my hands and I’ve pretty much stopped asking for more work. The work I do and the projects that are assigned to me are things that any decent intern could probably do. At this point, I’ve gotten used to having little work to do and I have grown comfortable with the just doing the bare minimum. which is kind of concerning. I feel bad about it though because my coworkers who often seem stressed and I don’t feel like I work half as hard as they do. I make more money than most people on my team (probably because I have a college degree). I got a substantial promotion and a raise last year. Someone was supposed to report to me and there was supposed to be an increase in my responsibilities but this never happened because they pretty much decided the timing wasn’t right. What’s really weird is that my boss talked to me recently about how swamped the team is and how they need to hire someone new for me to train. I was just confused like… train them to do what exactly? I thought we should work better on restructuring our current responsibilities before we bring someone new on board. Even my direct supervisor who supervises the whole team doesn’t seem like she’s very busy. She calls me into her office to help me work on my “projects” and usually we end up watching cat videos (something I really have no interest in doing). I’m thinking of starting to look for a new job with more challenges, where I make more contributions. I also think I could make a lot more money at a larger company. On paper I think my work experience looks really good but in practice, it’s actually not that impressive because I really haven’t been doing that much. I’m afraid potential employers would call my bluff
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM

117 posts, read 98,449 times
It's a problem with a lot of office jobs. When I was working in Minnesota my job was like this. Everyone acted 'swamped' all the time but nobody actually did anything. They also left exactly at 5pm every day. Like... they would get their coat and boots on around 4:40... then watch the clock so they left exactly as the clock changed to 5pm. This wasn't some brain dead call center job or something either, it was in engineering!

Anyway, I quit and got a crazy job in Chicago where I was busy all the time and made 10 times as much money.

Thus, yes I suggest quitting if the situation is like what you say. However, some people seem fine with just cruising through life with an easy job. Could be worse, I suppose.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM

9,240 posts, read 13,200,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
Even my direct supervisor who supervises the whole team doesn’t seem like she’s very busy. She calls me into her office to help me work on my “projects” and usually we end up watching cat videos (something I really have no interest in doing).
LMAO.

Yea, I'll swap jobs with you STAT. Jesus, where do you work and how are they paying people do nothing? Mind giving us a hint? I've got my resume ready.

Don't get me wrong. I've had a job like that before, but it was temporary. And was it was over, people got the boot. Working for the government, it's often like that on a permanent basis.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

16,380 posts, read 19,685,466 times
I am with you, OP. I quit a job before because they didn't have enough work for me. They hired me as a high paid technical contractor but never gave me any real assignments. I asked for work many different times over a month or two.

They always promised work, but the manager and others on the team stayed busy, rushing around like busy bees. I even tried getting the individual team members to unload some of their extra work to me - even parts of it. Nobody wanted to give up any work. There weren't new projects that were 'coming soon' either.

My guess is they missed due dates before I was hired and maybe they gave excuses to the manager, so the manager hired a contractor to help the team. But then when it came time to pass the work off to the contractor, everyone kept ownership of their work and they were afraid to give it up, for fear of getting laid off, I think. Because the company had gone through some layoffs shortly before that. So the workers kept their 'turf' (their work).

There is nothing worse than wasting time. I don't care if they are paying me or not.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:53 PM

6,232 posts, read 6,822,908 times
Yes, if you don't like being there its time to look for a better situation for you.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:54 PM

366 posts, read 400,961 times
This seems to be happening a lot. Also, people don't want to give up any work as they fear layoffs or firings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment