Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is the business model of every business, even Costco. They are able to reduce their costs by paying more, which means attracting better people, and keeping them after investing in their training, but they are still paying as little as possible to maximize their profits. Their possible is just more than Walmart's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Walmart is probably the biggest Walfare recipient in the nation and their owners are the richest people in the world, that's what you can get away with when you can buy congress.
Walmart is a publicly traded company, and many, many, many people across the globe own a piece of Walmart. Maybe even you, if you have a 401K or an IRA. I doubt that many of those owners are among the richest people in the world.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Walmart now starts people at $10 an hour.

Walmart is one of the 10 best paying major retail chains in the country. Consider how many higher end department stores there are, that pay minimum wages which is lower than Walmart.
Maybe where you're at. Around here they start them off around $7.70/hour. My daughter has been there a year and has got $9/hour now.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Just from watching WalMart and Costco cashiers, Costo cashiers probably ring up about five times the dollar amount in an hour as a WalMart cashier does. They really should be paid about five times as much rather than not even twice. Also I leave Costco not hating the place which generally every time I go to WalMart I'm reminded why I only go there at 2 a.m. when nothing else is open.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just from watching WalMart and Costco cashiers, Costo cashiers probably ring up about five times the dollar amount in an hour as a WalMart cashier does. They really should be paid about five times as much rather than not even twice. Also I leave Costco not hating the place which generally every time I go to WalMart I'm reminded why I only go there at 2 a.m. when nothing else is open.
When my son worked at Costco he hated to work the register, they time every transaction and have established parameters for how long each transaction should take, if you get a customer who starts asking questions or slows you down you have to bust butt to make it up for the next 30 minutes or it will reflect badly on you. He did like working for the company though, he had great benefits, he got some kind of stipend toward his college tuition and had great health and dental.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
if you get a customer who starts asking questions or slows you down you have to bust butt to make it up for the next 30 minutes or it will reflect badly on you.
so I could be a jerk and pull out coupons/change/etc and just be one of those slow guys?

btw, if anyone use adp for workplace, you can get a lifemart subscription through them and on there get free costco membership.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Maybe where you're at. Around here they start them off around $7.70/hour. My daughter has been there a year and has got $9/hour now.
She will soon get a raise. Walmart has announced this new pay rate, is being established nationwide. It is already in our area, having been one of the first stores to raise.

Of course in our area, McDonald's starts high school kids at $10 and after training moves them up to $12 an hour. Adults start at $12 to $14 an hour depending on the shift they can work, and how many hours they are available. Hard at that wage, to even find anyone to work. Our housekeepers 16 year old son went in and asked if they were taking apps. The manager came out, showed him around, asked him if he could do the work they were doing. He said Yes, so she told him to fill out an app, and hired him on the spot to go to the training class 2 days later, and to start on Saturday. Keeps him so busy, he can no longer do my yard work, which I paid him $ 10 an hour to do. In our area, everywhere you look, there are help wanted signs for all kinds of work and a 3.1% unemployment rate.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
@OP, Walmart also has a 1 billion a year electricity bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Work like dogs? Putting stuff in bags and pressing keys is working like a dog? They don't even ring up things fast either they take their good ole time. All this in a climate controlled environment too.
They also got to deal with irate customers, doing that day in, day out, repetitively. Face it... humans weren't meant for this type of job. I suppose you'd be fine doing such a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
........... As for the waltons refusing to spend their money to give the workers a raise, how about the CEO cut his pay. The Walmart CEO made 26 million dollars last year yet the Costco CEO made 350,000 dollars last year. If the Walmart CEO said I will cut my salary to $ 1 million dollars so all 2.1 million Walmart workers can make at least $15 an hour. This you be great public relations remark and many patrons that refuse to shop at Walmart because the way they treat their employees would start shopping there again so more profits and the theft from Walmart employees would be significantly reduced also increasing their profits because all their workers are making a decent wage. Why can't the Walmart CEO be like this CEO of this Seattle company. Seattle Company Raises Minimum Wage to $70,000 a Year For All Employees! | Dimensional Bliss. Of course don't offer all Walmart employees 70,000 a year but offering all at least $15 an hour seems reasonable.
I heard in 2013, when the Wii U was doing poorly, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata (RIP ) took a voluntary, 50% pay cut to keep company operations going without laying off any employees. Many execs and high level employees also took pay cuts to the tune of 30% to 50%. I hear this is a common thing to do in Japan.

In the US, when times are tough, companies instead lay off employees, cut their salaries, and reduce their benefits so the higher ups can maintain their bonuses. It's sad, but Sam Walton used to be like this... when execs and managers had road trip meetings, they would stay in a Howard Johnson, not some 5-star Hilton suite. He didn't believe in that sort of excess, but his children sure don't seem to think so.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoru_Iwata

Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Because Wal-mart and Sam's both suck and treat their employees like crap.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 AM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
@OP, Walmart also has a 1 billion a year electricity bill!

They also got to deal with irate customers, doing that day in, day out, repetitively. Face it... humans weren't meant for this type of job. I suppose you'd be fine doing such a job?

I heard in 2013, when the Wii U was doing poorly, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata (RIP ) took a voluntary, 50% pay cut to keep company operations going without laying off any employees. Many execs and high level employees also took pay cuts to the tune of 30% to 50%. I hear this is a common thing to do in Japan.

In the US, when times are tough, companies instead lay off employees, cut their salaries, and reduce their benefits so the higher ups can maintain their bonuses. It's sad, but Sam Walton used to be like this... when execs and managers had road trip meetings, they would stay in a Howard Johnson, not some 5-star Hilton suite. He didn't believe in that sort of excess, but his children sure don't seem to think so.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoru_Iwata
Yeah I heard that Sam Walton was one of the most frugal business man in America. He lived on a farm and drive an old pickup truck despite being a billionaire. His kids defiantly don't have that perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment