Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
You should really be impressed by Walmart in being able to pay as well as $9.50... not by Costco paying $16. Walmart has more than twice the number of employees as Costco as well. So Walmart "employs" more of the middle class than Costco.
No one who earns $9.50 an hour (barring other family members earning significantly more, or this being a job on top of a job, e.g. on top of a hefty pension or as a moonlighting extra job) is even close to middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
The poster was stating that the Walmart that opened in her rural area probably was the catalyst that caused those mom and pop grocery,jewelry, liquor, lumber mills, tool stores to go out of business or be on the verge of going out of business. I doubt Walmart hired all those unemployed people in that town and those folks probably had no where else to go. As for the waltons refusing to spend their money to give the workers a raise, how about the CEO cut his pay. The Walmart CEO made 26 million dollars last year yet the Costco CEO made 350,000 dollars last year. If the Walmart CEO said I will cut my salary to $ 1 million dollars so all 2.1 million Walmart workers can make at least $15 an hour. This you be great public relations remark and many patrons that refuse to shop at Walmart because the way they treat their employees would start shopping there again so more profits and the theft from Walmart employees would be significantly reduced also increasing their profits because all their workers are making a decent wage. Why can't the Walmart CEO be like this CEO of this Seattle company. Seattle Company Raises Minimum Wage to $70,000 a Year For All Employees! | Dimensional Bliss. Of course don't offer all Walmart employees 70,000 a year but offering all at least $15 an hour seems reasonable.
What? I may not be a mathematician, but if the CEO of Walmart's salary was reduced by 25 million dollars per year, and that 25 million dollars was divided amongst 2.1 million employees, that is less than $13 per employee PER YEAR. I'm not seeing a huge jump in good will or productivity in a 25 CENT PER WEEK raise.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No one who earns $9.50 an hour (barring other family members earning significantly more, or this being a job on top of a job, e.g. on top of a hefty pension or as a moonlighting extra job) is even close to middle class.
I was waiting for someone to point that out. If that's middle class, what is working class, $5.00 per hour?

Old 07-12-2015, 07:42 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What? I may not be a mathematician, but if the CEO of Walmart's salary was reduced by 25 million dollars per year, and that 25 million dollars was divided amongst 2.1 million employees, that is less than $13 per employee PER YEAR. I'm not seeing a huge jump in good will or productivity in a 25 CENT PER WEEK raise.
Not everyone who works at Walmart makes the same amount or have the same job title. 10% of those workers are the executive level making 6 figure salaries. Another 20% is at the management level and a bottom third are cashiers, sales associates, fork lift drivers, stockers, and tire technicians. The raise would only apply to 25% of those workers. I am no mathematician either even after 2 semesters of calculus but in my honest opinion a living wage to Walmart workers will get them off of food stamps, welfare, and government assistance so us Americans can stop complaining about them using tax payers money for food stamps and welfare. A family that can make 60k a year at $15 an hour will make happier workers, better customer service, and better morales; therefore, less employees will steal from Walmart. Loss and prevention across stores cost Walmart a lot of money and not every Walmart employee gets caught when they steal. I don't look down on anyone working any job and I think any individual or family that works 40 hours a week deserves to at least afford food and some living exspenses.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to point that out. If that's middle class, what is working class, $5.00 per hour?
Heck $15-20 an hour is not even middle class. That is working class blue collar workers at best. Working for less than $10 an hour is poverty in today's times due to the effect of inflation.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
That's why most Walmart employees are on food stamps. That's why every year, Walmart asks customers for donations so their employees can afford a merry xmas. That's why Walmart is BAD for your city/neighborhood. Walmart was also caught telling people that they support "Made in America", when in reality, they can't wait to bring cheap Chinese goods into America. Walmart is probably the most unpatriotic company in America.
Quote:

Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
That's why most Walmart employees are on food stamps. That's why every year, Walmart asks customers for donations so their employees can afford a merry xmas. That's why Walmart is BAD for your city/neighborhood. Walmart was also caught telling people that they support "Made in America", when in reality, they can't wait to bring cheap Chinese goods into America. Walmart is probably the most unpatriotic company in America.
Right on there are so many unpatriotic American companies too. Apple manufactures iPhones in China and those workers get paid Poverty wages to make a product that is producing them billions. Instead of paying an Anerican $12-15 an hour to make those iPhones they want to manufacture them in China were workers get paid $3 an hour so they can maximize their profits. America can create so many jobs if they stop outsourcing work to countries because they want cheap labor and pay those workers a decent wage so they don't have to live off of food stamps just to put food on the table.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many of the above comments are good reasons. Especially employee production. Walmart need more cashiers because they are so slow, while Costco hires only the best, trains them well, and fires them if they are not up to the standards they require. Another is simply that Costco has no shrinkage/shoplifting problem. Requiring people to be a member, and checking receipts at the door makes a big difference. Walmart gets a lot of "customers that go in but don't buy anything, yet leave with things they didn't have when they came in.

Walmart Loses $3 Billion a Year to Theft
Haven't gone through all the posts past this^, but the above reminded of why I love shopping at Costco--it's efficient and pleasant. Employees at Costco seem happy and helpful, and many of them stay with the company for years and years. That's a HUGE difference I see between Wal-Mart and Costco: employee satisfaction. Makes shopping much more enjoyable, IMO.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Work like dogs? Putting stuff in bags and pressing keys is working like a dog? They don't even ring up things fast either they take their good ole time. All this in a climate controlled environment too.
In a climate controlled enviree-ment, too??! Pshaw!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree with your statement. Walmart wants them to work like dogs for $9 an hour but they want to know why half of their employees steal merchandise from them and they have such a high turnover rate. Pay your employees a decent wage and you have more loyalty. All of the Walton kids were born with a silver spoon in their mouth when daddy Sam Walton left the company to them. The Walton's fourtune is about a 145 billion dollars with each child being worth 35 billion dollars on average. You can't tell me that can't afford to pay their employees an effective wage even Kroger, Publix, and Aldi start their cashiers and associates of at $10-11 an hour. My aunt worked for Walmart for 20 years and what she got from them was a whopping wage of $13 an hour as a department manager. I don't blame you from not wanting to shop at Walmart/ SAMs because who wants to support a company that treats their employees like dirt because the Walton kids are greedy and selfish and want all the profits for themselves.
Publix is another example of a company that seems to have happy employees that are treated well. That, in turn, makes the employee/customer interaction much more positive.

I will gladly pay a bit more to shop at Publix and Costco, where I interact with pleasant, helpful employees who are treated well by their employers. Selfishly, it makes my time spent shopping much less frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment