Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 8,013 times

Advertisements

I'll try to be brief.

The company I started working for this year sells services, i.e. makes all it's revenue from billing clients for projects. I don't know exactly what their intentions were when they hired me, but I know that the large majority of work I've been doing is internal projects that are supposed be on the backburner for when there isn't any client-facing work that would otherwise take priority. For the past few weeks, I've felt bad having to fill out my time sheet and putting "Internal Projects and Meetings" for 3/4 of the hours, but then again I can't help the fact that there hasn't been enough client-facing work for the role I fill. I know I do a good job and I enjoy the work, especially the internal projects, which I suppose are related to getting more clients and therefore aren't necessarily "money down the drain." I also know of potential upcoming client-facing projects I will be involved in, although I don't know whether the deals have been finalized.

Am I worrying too much? When I have my biweekly meeting with my manager, in which I'm supposed to ask him about any questions or concerns that I have, should I bring up this, and if so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceandbeans View Post
I'll try to be brief.

The company I started working for this year sells services, i.e. makes all it's revenue from billing clients for projects. I don't know exactly what their intentions were when they hired me, but I know that the large majority of work I've been doing is internal projects that are supposed be on the backburner for when there isn't any client-facing work that would otherwise take priority. For the past few weeks, I've felt bad having to fill out my time sheet and putting "Internal Projects and Meetings" for 3/4 of the hours, but then again I can't help the fact that there hasn't been enough client-facing work for the role I fill. I know I do a good job and I enjoy the work, especially the internal projects, which I suppose are related to getting more clients and therefore aren't necessarily "money down the drain." I also know of potential upcoming client-facing projects I will be involved in, although I don't know whether the deals have been finalized.

Am I worrying too much? When I have my biweekly meeting with my manager, in which I'm supposed to ask him about any questions or concerns that I have, should I bring up this, and if so, how?
Next meeting ask your manager if it would be possible to have more client based projects.

If the answer is no...then start looking for another job that can offer you the kind of opportunities you are looking for.

No need to stay in dead end job. Every month you waste doing meaningless projects is a month that you could be

somewhere learning valuable skills that will help you in the long run.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
How long have you been working in this role?
If you're an FNG, it's typical to be assigned odd jobs, perhaps giving you a chance to learn how things work internally, until you're ready for real external clients.

And, yes, that's what you should be discussing with your boss in these 1-on-1's. What else would you be discussing?

Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 8,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Next meeting ask your manager if it would be possible to have more client based projects.
It's not that I don't like internal projects, but that I'm afraid they don't have a need for me unless they get me on client-facing projects. I fear that they hired me with the expectation of getting more billable projects than they are getting.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:39 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I'm sick of client facing projects. Expectations all out of whack with what they're willing to pay and then you have to spend so much time stroking egos. Give me some internal projects any day.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If you aren't client facing, you're probably going to get lost in the mix.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceandbeans View Post
I'll try to be brief.

Although while on the bench you are helping internal projects, I would personally feel very uncomfortable working for a firm where I was not doing any client work especially if that was what I was hired to do.

I work for a small consulting firm and we have an employee who unlike you doesn't really even work on the internal projects that well (she just isn't a self starter) and it has made everyone very resentful of her. After this last part time client gig is finished she will be fired.

Talk about your concerns to your manager, it may be somewhat normal for your company to have people slowly come off of the bench and work internally for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment