Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM

441 posts, read 2,104,399 times

Advertisements

I can't stand this one girl who works with me. She is friendly, educated, smart, and nice, but she is a terrible gossip. She has no shame either. As soon as she learns something new she immediately walks around the office telling everyone and then calls other office workers on the phone to tell them. She also gives out TMI aka Too Much Information. She talks about every poop and spit-up her baby made the night before. She talks about her IBS, her husband's rash, and her sister's boob job. It appears everyone tries to avoid her, but she is clueless and thinks everyone just can't wait to hear what she has to say. Some mornings I can't even put my purse down and take my coat off before she is running to tell me about her baby's poop or a juicy office story. I smile at her and say things like, "wow" or "oh, my" and try to be polite but at the same time act uninterested. What gives???? Do you work with this person, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,492,165 times
I've worked with worse. Some made my stomach hurt really bad as they ripped someone else up who wasn't there.
Then there are the ones who are so self-centered, nothing is off topic, like discussing their bowel movements while you eat lunch. I never saw such self centered, egotistical people. Ever. They even talked about their husband's personal habits at work too.
I can talk about the game last night, the weather, politics, software, the newest flavor of Goldfish cracker at work. I am not a prude. I like a lot of sexual variations, but these people made me just plain sick.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
yes i have. you are so fortunate. you have a valuable asset.
whatever you want broadcast in the office accurate or misinformation you can.
just tell suzy.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,699,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
I can't stand this one girl who works with me. She is friendly, educated, smart, and nice, but she is a terrible gossip. She has no shame either. As soon as she learns something new she immediately walks around the office telling everyone and then calls other office workers on the phone to tell them. She also gives out TMI aka Too Much Information. She talks about every poop and spit-up her baby made the night before. She talks about her IBS, her husband's rash, and her sister's boob job. It appears everyone tries to avoid her, but she is clueless and thinks everyone just can't wait to hear what she has to say. Some mornings I can't even put my purse down and take my coat off before she is running to tell me about her baby's poop or a juicy office story. I smile at her and say things like, "wow" or "oh, my" and try to be polite but at the same time act uninterested. What gives???? Do you work with this person, too?
Yes, I have worked w/someone like this many times...and I would make comments like yours, and lo and behold, I'd be talked about later that I was a prude or too good for her, etc...I hated it so stopped "working" with women and went into a predominantly male oriented field, IT.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,492,165 times
Yeah, I'm a woman, but what is it with women? Can't they keep their mouths shut at work about personal stuff?
I don't care if their kid sings Barney or if they have a bunion. I don't care if want to make themselves look like Jessica Alba. I don't care if they don't like their haircut. I wish they would all shuddup and stop talking about themselves.
They obviously don't have enough work.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,492,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yeah, I'm a woman, but what is it with women? Can't they keep their mouths shut at work about personal stuff?
I don't care if their kid sings Barney or if they have a bunion. I don't care if want to make themselves look like Jessica Alba. I don't care if they don't like their haircut. I wish they would all shuddup and stop talking about themselves.
They obviously don't have enough work.
I enjoy hearing about my coworker's lives, as long as we all know when we have to get back to being productive. Its a really good way to just kill a few minutes talking about something relevant.

And we have some office conflicts, and I could do without those. But beyond that, I've got no problem chatting with my coworkers.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,036,257 times
This one woman I work with, she is the worst gossip I have ever met. She seemed to take me under her wing when I first started, but as it turned out, she was just trying to get to know me, so she could tell everyone about me. After a month, I actually walked into a room and heard her talking about me. A few weeks later, I made the mistake of telling her something very private. She had called me at home on a Saturday afternoon and I thought I could trust her (stupid me). Monday morning I came in at 8:30am...she does not come in until 9am, and by 8:40am a coworker came up to me and repeated exactly what I had told this woman, only it was embellished upon. Apparently she called my boss at home, and told him my business...he relayed it to his friend/coworker, who was watching football with him...who shared it with his wife, who also works where we work...who then told me. I have kept completely away from this woman ever since. She is quite elderly, and has her lips firmly planted to the boss' rear end, so there is not much I can do about it, but I will not say anything to her now unless it is completely job related. I was also foolish because when I first started, she filled me in on everyone's dirt right away...I should have figured, she would therefore be gossiping about me to others, too.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM

218 posts, read 754,250 times
Default Solution!!

I found a way to get female co worker gossips to let me be and it works!

Im serious, I went around complimenting everybody behind their backs. Everybody who somebody tried to badmouth, I counteracted with a nice comment about them. Just kept it up- even if I had to invent something nice. Soon, none of them initiated convo with me anymore and that was fine. I had turned myself invisible by doing this!!

Of course, none of the nice comments ever made their way back to the people!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 PM

441 posts, read 2,104,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I enjoy hearing about my coworker's lives, as long as we all know when we have to get back to being productive. Its a really good way to just kill a few minutes talking about something relevant.

And we have some office conflicts, and I could do without those. But beyond that, I've got no problem chatting with my coworkers.
I enjoy hearing things about my co-workers lives, too, but not very personal things such as has been mentioned. One of my co-workers went on a first time camping trip with her family, and her story was hilarious! She had me laughing all day. I also like to hear cute pet stories, an experience at a new restaurant, a great sale at the mall, etc. What I do not like to hear is gossip that hurts people or very private talk about someone or their spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment