Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times

Advertisements

The IRS hires lots of people for data entry, but it's only for tax season. Any returns that don't get e-filed have to be manually entered and scanned. It's a good seasonal job if you live near one of their processing centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 03:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
The IRS hires lots of people for data entry, but it's only for tax season. Any returns that don't get e-filed have to be manually entered and scanned. It's a good seasonal job if you live near one of their processing centers.

Image recognition software does exist today. That's where the computer will recognize the numbers on the form.

There has to be more to the story there

Old 09-20-2015, 03:48 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Guys, the job market has changed. in the 90th there was a huge industry where people would go to recruiters and their typing speed and accuracy would be measured and based on that they would be hired into a job I would invade another country to avoid.

Now, technology has eliminated this, there are new jobs that are created that require information processing. (I used the word information because I realized that "data processing" might scary to some people.

But mindless data entry is a thing of the past.

I can literary go to a company and say "Hire me I will eliminate all of your data entry with software."

I mean if all you have is typing skills to find work, you need to learn news things and upgrade your skills.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

I was wondering if these jobs still exist. I had to laugh when I was watched the video, because when I was working data entry jobs back in the 90s they only paid $7. I dropped out of college, perhaps I do have the equivalent of an associates degree (as mentioned in the satire). The only thing that got me out of data entry jobs were call center jobs. Those obviously paid more, but not much. FWIW I'm not in the call centers anymore and I am grateful for it. 20 years and $7 an hour lost, or just par for the course these days?

What? Of course they do. How do you think the data gets entered into a database? And it still pays a heck of a lot more than 7 bucks an hour.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
medical transcription is a data entry field that is growing... well, kind of, getting hyped about anyways

law offices still use people too, hate to lose a case because a software couldnt tell the difference between an accent

Old 09-21-2015, 04:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Hmmm

I think data entry jobs exist, but they are combined with other jobs.

I'm not in the field but I've heard that the medical transcriptionist field is over-hyped and there are not many positions for new grads without experience. This is just like most positions, if you think about it. Companies do not want to train and want people with experience.

The law office example someone gave above? I would think that a paralegal or legal assistant would do this.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 AM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
Medical transcriptioninst jobs are nearly gone. Voice-recognition software made them obsolete.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:53 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Image recognition software does exist today. That's where the computer will recognize the numbers on the form.

There has to be more to the story there
I was doing accounts payable in one company where I would input hundreds of invoices into the payment software. By the time I left, they had a program whereby you just scanned the invoices and the software did the rest. It was able to recognize all the pertinent information and would populate the necessary fields.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:20 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
My previous job was essentially glorified data entry of medical specimens ie Accessioning them into the computer system. We would receive the specimens with requisition forms and enter the patient demographic data, diagnosis and specimen source data, medical facility/physician data, specimen info (date of collection, specimen ID, etc). Did that all day every day for a few years - 2017-2019. It paid well enough considering I had no college degree at all, only fast food experience beforehand. I made nearly $60k my final year there and ended as team lead. Gave me plenty of skills for my brain and my resume when I decided to move on to my current role, which has data entry aspects but a much wider scope.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If people keep voting for members of congress, senators, and even POTUS that supports all these globalist ideas eventually the ramifications will be that fewer and fewer jobs will remain in the US. That's a fact. All the distractions the media uses to get people to vote for candidates that support the hot topics but nobody in America actually votes for the important issues anymore such as job security, economy, trade, and healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment