U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 09:32 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,173,628 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if these jobs still exist. I had to laugh when I was watched the video, because when I was working data entry jobs back in the 90s they only paid $7. I dropped out of college, perhaps I do have the equivalent of an associates degree (as mentioned in the satire). The only thing that got me out of data entry jobs were call center jobs. Those obviously paid more, but not much. FWIW I'm not in the call centers anymore and I am grateful for it. 20 years and $7 an hour lost, or just par for the course these days?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,936 posts, read 65,419,470 times
I haven't seen much in the way of data entry jobs since we eliminated that department at the place where I worked in favor of on-line realtime data entry by customer service staff in the 1980s. There are still some people doing it for the healthcare industry, mostly home-based contractors. Where I work in commercial real estate, the lease administrators will enter lease data for rent billing but that's only one part of their job.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,095,103 times
Allot of data entry and call center jobs have been out sourced to 3rd world country.

So when I am trying to get some-one on the phone from my credit card, I get an Indian who claims his real name is John and he tries to speak with Texacian pronunciation.

I started working in computer programming in 90th. Back then computer technology was not yet as a household item as it is now. Back then not every house hold had a computer. Data Entry job would tech people basic computer literacy.

I have mentioned that I started in Computer Programming in the 90 for a reason.

In the 90th the major drive for computer programmers was to eliminate data entry jobs. We would literary go around the company and ask people what data entry they were doing and then we we went to out white board and designed software to eliminate this.

In 2000 there was a major drive in getting Y2k compliant.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I haven't seen much in the way of data entry jobs since we eliminated that department at the place where I worked in favor of on-line realtime data entry by customer service staff in the 1980s. There are still some people doing it for the healthcare industry, mostly home-based contractors. Where I work in commercial real estate, the lease administrators will enter lease data for rent billing but that's only one part of their job.
That is what I was running into. A job listing might say data entry, but you're also doing 10 other things on the job. If you do not have those interpersonal skills, you don't get the job, regardless of how strong the data entry skills are.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Allot of data entry and call center jobs have been out sourced to 3rd world country.

So when I am trying to get some-one on the phone from my credit card, I get an Indian who claims his real name is John and he tries to speak with Texacian pronunciation.

I started working in computer programming in 90th. Back then computer technology was not yet as a household item as it is now. Back then not every house hold had a computer. Data Entry job would tech people basic computer literacy.

I have mentioned that I started in Computer Programming in the 90 for a reason.

In the 90th the major drive for computer programmers was to eliminate data entry jobs. We would literary go around the company and ask people what data entry they were doing and then we we went to out white board and designed software to eliminate this.

In 2000 there was a major drive in getting Y2k compliant.
Well, in business if you do not eliminate costs and become more efficient you're getting left behind.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 AM

12,287 posts, read 8,858,472 times
My organization outsourced data entry to a company that can do it faster and cheaper than we could. It allowed us to focus more on our core mission.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
My organization outsourced data entry to a company that can do it faster and cheaper than we could. It allowed us to focus more on our core mission.
Are they temps on site or do they work from home, or in another office somewhere else?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 PM

229 posts, read 347,516 times
Yup. I had a data entry job until January.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,097 posts, read 35,425,798 times
Outsourcing is only part of the explanation for the disappearance of these jobs. A lot of data entry these days is done by the customer, entering their own data into a web-based form. It's much more efficient than having the customer fill out a paper form and paying an employee to type the contents of the form into a computer.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:21 PM

367 posts, read 427,644 times
I am lucky, for now, that for the past 5 years I have had 3 major jobs all with data-entry...that being said, I do know certain giants like Google have developed programs where everything is automated like Five-9 (in the clouds)
I do know programs where even medical billing will be automated...so every industry is getting hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment