Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 05:44 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

Just read through the thread titles in this forum. Almost all of them are very negative.

My game plan: forget about trying to find a fulfilling job, focus on acquiring the highest paying jobs possible, live as frugally as possible, retire as early as possible, then do whatever you want. Working is simply a means to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Just read through all of the thread titles in this forum. Almost all of them are very negative.

My game plan: forget about trying to find a fulfilling job, focus on acquiring the highest paying jobs possible, live as frugally as possible, retire as early as possible, then do whatever you want. Working is simply a means to an end.
What are you going to do when you retire though?

The key point is that some people would actually work rather than sit at home, eat food, and wait for the ballgame to come on. So, if you are one of those people, then might as well get paid for it now.

I think the key is to snag a job where your hours are set. No overtime. Unfortunately, I have so seldom had one of those. I see people posting about dreading work and 40 hours a week killing their lives.

If I could only work a set 40 hours, my life would be beyond a dream...

Old 09-17-2015, 06:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,073 times
You're on a forum where people come to seek input from others, usually with a problem, question, or concern. So I would expect that many of the titles reflect that.

Everyone's goal in life is different. Find what makes you happy and work towards your personal goals. But I do hope you find a fulfilling job. While I may complain about my boss or my company culture occasionally, I can honestly say that I love what I do. I enjoy going to work every day. I feel fulfilled. Even with not working being financially feasible due to a dual income household, I don't want to quit my job. But of course there is often a trade-off and work/life balance is difficult to attain.

Best of luck in your endeavors; working or otherwise.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I have a really good job, but things are looking like we are going back into a recession as a nation so I started looking on USA jobs and figured with all of my education, skills and experience I would be able to snag an interview for a fed job. That was not so lol. Apparently the vet status weights heavily and national guard experience does not count.

It feels like I am on a nice tiny island with a margarita and a woman giving me a BJ with dark strom clouds in the distance and the ocean starting to get rough around my tiny island.

If you have no aspirations that require much money then its easy to retire early, because of this tiny island situation I have thought about abandoning certain aspirations that I have so that I can get off the wheel sooner.

Though it is a catch 22 because the aspirations that I am compelled to do are also what make me highly valuable at my job (though apparently not the fed govt lol) and are also apart of who I am.

Make a lot of money and retire early is like the south park underpants knomes. How do you make a lot of money if you don't have some compulsion to do something that is complicated or hard and requires upfront investment and risk? Assuming you do have that compulsuion, how do you just turn it off as soon as you start making the good money.

Also what happens if you retire at say 40 and your hanging out for 3-4 years and decide you want to see the world but your early retirement plan does not account for that expense and now you are out of date on your trade by 4 years and likely lost any relevant contacts that could actually get you a job.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:27 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Working is not what bothers me. It's all the stuff that gets in the way that can make a job suck.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have a really good job, but things are looking like we are going back into a recession as a nation so I started looking on USA jobs and figured with all of my education, skills and experience I would be able to snag an interview for a fed job. That was not so lol. Apparently the vet status weights heavily and national guard experience does not count.

It feels like I am on a nice tiny island with a margarita and a woman giving me a BJ with dark strom clouds in the distance and the ocean starting to get rough around my tiny island.

If you have no aspirations that require much money then its easy to retire early, because of this tiny island situation I have thought about abandoning certain aspirations that I have so that I can get off the wheel sooner.

Though it is a catch 22 because the aspirations that I am compelled to do are also what make me highly valuable at my job (though apparently not the fed govt lol) and are also apart of who I am.

Make a lot of money and retire early is like the south park underpants knomes. How do you make a lot of money if you don't have some compulsion to do something that is complicated or hard and requires upfront investment and risk? Assuming you do have that compulsuion, how do you just turn it off as soon as you start making the good money.

Also what happens if you retire at say 40 and your hanging out for 3-4 years and decide you want to see the world but your early retirement plan does not account for that expense and now you are out of date on your trade by 4 years and likely lost any relevant contacts that could actually get you a job.
Exactly right.

If your ambition is to sit around and watch TV and drink beer, you can get a pretty easy job paying 20 bucks an hour and easily support yourself doing that for the rest of your life.

My friend's father is a specialty doctor. He could have retired many years ago, but wanted to make sure his kids were set. Not just set through private high school, undergrad, and law and medical school (all paid for by him ) but also paying for their trust funds, and oh ... a house in case they need to use it (which they don't).

Now that he is 'retired', he is doing a ton of work, scheming, trying to do real estate investments, etc.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:22 PM

298 posts, read 270,929 times
Let's face it: unless you have some in demand special skills or some talent you will never make a ton of money. You want to make a ton of money? Marry into it 'cos most of us are not going to inherit it.

But if you want to do well, and you must do well, then you need to pick occupations that can't be outsourced or replaced with machines/robots. They also can't be so oversaturated that salaries become low. What those "special" occupations are, you have to find for yourself.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Just read through the thread titles in this forum. Almost all of them are very negative.

I agree for the most part. Many of my major life choices are based around retiring as early as possible.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Working only sucks when society spirals into the current system where people that work are forced to continual support a large segment of the population that does not want to work.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:

Just because you make a lot, doesn't mean you enjoy it later. You can always die the day before retiring and miss all the joy in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment