Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times

Advertisements

If you came across a qualified, entry-level candidate with a degree from an online school, particularly the ones listed, would you just throw it in the trash or would you consider interviewing the person?

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
For entry level, yeah I would ignore a degree from any of those schools. For an experienced person, I typically don't care where their degree is from.

I have 2 employees with degrees from one of the schools you mentioned (both employees from the same school, with the same degree, so very comparable). One is entry level and the other is experienced. No problems with the experienced candidate. The entry level one doesn't even know how to use MS Office. I kid you not. Had to be taught the basics of Word and Excel. After getting a full business degree from one of those schools. I don't regret the hire because the person is a dedicated employee who is working hard to learn the position, but it certainly says a lot about the "education" these schools are providing.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
For those of you that have hired people: Would you just throw away a resume with devry, phoenix,strayer, etc. ?
I have talked to the people that hire for my county's two largest employers about this!

They get dozens, if not hundreds, of applications per position. The ones from for-profit/online schools are usually cut, as they do not have the desired credentials, recommendations, and/or internships as other candidates.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Unless they have publications in respectable journals, I don't look at them.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:11 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
When I was involved with the hiring team, after interviewing several candidates over a period of a couple of years from for-profit schools (mostly Phoenix because of the types of positions we hired for), and finding none of them even remotely competitive or qualified for even an entry-level position, we did, indeed decide to discard any application from a graduate of one of those schools. There were so many qualified candidates with outstanding credentials from real schools and with excellent skills, even at entry level, that it was a waste of everyone's time and resources to interview from the for-profit schools. We never hired any of the candidates we interviewed from those schools. They really were not qualified when compared with their competition from real academic institutions.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Sounds like most employers "punish" people for going to these schools, which is not fair. Most people who go to these schools work full-time jobs and these schools offer flexibility. State schools who have online programs do not offer every single one of their degrees online so sometimes a person may not have a choice but to attend one of these for-profit schools.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Quote:
Sounds like most employers "punish" people for going to these schools, which is not fair. Most people who go to these schools work full-time jobs and these schools offer flexibility. State schools who have online programs do not offer every single one of their degrees online so sometimes a person may not have a choice but to attend one of these for-profit schools.

We were not "punishing" anyone. We did interview candidates from the for-profit schools for some time, but the experience was universally poor. Not one of them was qualified. Not. One. So, it was a waste of time and resources for everyone concerned to continue to interview candidates from those schools since their training was clearly inadequate for the positions we needed to fill. It was because the for-profit schools were not training them to the standards we required that we stopped considering candidates from those schools.

Employers are not charities. They cannot afford to take poorly trained candidates just because they might have hard-luck stories. If they are not qualified, they are not qualified. Other candidates came to us well prepared right out of school. They were the ones we hired.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
If they have the proper credentials needed for my company I would not throw out those schools but it is unlikely they would have what is needed to work for me.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Short answer, yes. I'm in education and we consider those degrees garbage.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Sounds like most employers "punish" people for going to these schools, which is not fair
You got that wrong.

Those schools take advantage of the students by not preparing them for the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment