U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 12,375 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Let me first thank you all for your responses. I am currently in a Sales position and there has been so much turn over. I have gone through three different managers in six months. My quotas have changed constantly. I have never received any verbal or written warnings prior to November. At the end of November my new manager presents me with a "Final Written Warning" giving me 30 days to change my behaviors. My question is how I can negotiate a severance package. I know that my termination is inevitable and I need to protect myself. Can anyone give me some advice on when and how to get a package upon my exit? Side note. They are a huge publically traded company. My particular business section has had so much turn over and they fire people on a whim due to if they don't like you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 PM

7,661 posts, read 5,415,069 times
Besides the responses you may receive in this thread, I would also suggest the you put { negotiating severance packages } into google.com. and also perhaps just {severance packages } into google.com. I would do this to gather information and tips if I were in your situation. (if you have not already done so)

You could also research by putting { termination and severance packages ) into google.com

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,266,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ1291 View Post
Hello all,

Let me first thank you all for your responses. I am currently in a Sales position and there has been so much turn over. I have gone through three different managers in six months. My quotas have changed constantly. I have never received any verbal or written warnings prior to November. At the end of November my new manager presents me with a "Final Written Warning" giving me 30 days to change my behaviors. My question is how I can negotiate a severance package. I know that my termination is inevitable and I need to protect myself. Can anyone give me some advice on when and how to get a package upon my exit? Side note. They are a huge publically traded company. My particular business section has had so much turn over and they fire people on a whim due to if they don't like you.

MDJ, sorry for being a cad here (if I am) - do you realize that you posted your query in the Retirement forum? Maybe consider retitling your thread to "Forcibly retired early"? I'm thinking THAT would get more traction here.

At face value, I don't have enough info to respond. How long were you there? Where in your career are you (euphemism for "how old are you"?) What is at stake (e.g, is this one month prior to qualifying for pension/401K match/company-paid medical benefits)? Where are you located?

If you have tech competency, there are always jobs in DC Metro for middle-aged folks who know the ropes about how to frame their capabilities vis-a-vis what the company needs.

Best wishes, Jane

Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 PM

10,178 posts, read 4,187,007 times
There is a Work and Employment forum here on City Data. Maybe you will find help there.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
38,787 posts, read 69,769,323 times
I agree, this is not the right place to be asking, but I have never heard of anyone being fired that got any kind of severance. That's something given to people who are laid off with no fault of their own. People being fired for any reason, including failure to pass probation or inability to perform to standards get their last check, and that's it.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM

15,634 posts, read 22,893,445 times
Many companies are afraid of being sued, so they give employees who are fired a "severance package", as long as the employees sign an agreement promising not to sue. I've never bee fired but some of my employees were and they always got 4-6 months' pay as "severance".

Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 PM

42,574 posts, read 56,740,833 times
OP do you have an employee sponsored plan (contract), if not you may be up a creek depending on type of termination.
Check here for more information...
U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Severance Pay

Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,179,465 times

Thread has been moved to Work and Employment forum.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,398,742 times
This may be industry-specific, but I have worked in the manufacturing, retail and newspaper industries through my career and I have never known employees terminated for cause to be given severance. As another poster mentioned, severance is often reserved only for those who are laid off through no fault of their own. Sometimes not even then. More often, a terminated employee gets his last check and possibly any unused vacation time, but that's it.

Negotiating severance when you've already been placed on a PIP is likely not going to happen, and will probably signal to the employer that you don't intend to even try to improve and possibly accelerate your departure.

Have you only been in this position for 6 months? If so, even in the highly unlikely case that you'd be able to get severance it would be a very small amount, as severance is typically based on years with the company (i.e.: 1 week for every year is common).

Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,269,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ1291 View Post
Hello all,

A huge publicly traded company would have an HR department.

First thing I would do is ask HR how can I go from no warnings in my file to a "Final Written Warning". That alone sounds quite odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment