Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 09:31 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

I'm between jobs right now.

I worked for a hospital system for nearly six years. Around the first of the year, I took a job at a manufacturing company in IT. The company likes to market itself as a "science/tech" employer, but R&D is not done where I was officially based out of, and I had desk space in the office part of a factory complex.

Throughout the late summer and early fall, there was a notable slowdown in the business. Sales forecasts were reduced, then factory floor workers were let go. A second round of layoffs in the factory and some support office staff occurred. While I supported corporate operations, being attached to a failing site was not a good look. I left the Wednesday before Thanksgiving after receiving an offer.

Seeing the writing on the wall, I began applying at multiple places back in September and October. I ended up accepting an offer to go back to the hospital system I left earlier in the year at the same pay/grade level/etc. It was a "port in the storm" type of thing. I'm due to start 1/3.

I applied for an IT position with a local county government in western North Carolina in October. I heard back about two weeks ago, had three interviews (two remote, one on-site) that all went very well. I already support many of their technologies. One position was owning tax software for the county, which I did at the hospital system. I have an extensive background in financial software.

The hiring manager followed me on LinkedIn (where I have three public recommendations from two tax accountants and the VP of tax) a few days ago. I had confirmation from a few references (including the two tax accountants) that the county wanted a reference check. A quality employer like that is typically not doing reference checks for the sake of it - usually, at that point, they've made the decision to hire unless there is something negative in the reference check. There won't be. Managers aren't following a very public LinkedIn profile like that (I have over 3,000 LinkedIn followers) for nothing.

If this goes through, and I think it will at this point, this is a potential life-changing opportunity for me. This is some place I could see myself staying for decades, for various reasons. Here's how it breaks down financially.

This is a local government position. Here's what I've been able to deduce from Glassdoor and the benefits.

Glassdoor rating for this county is 4.8/5 stars. Hospital system is 2.8/5. It is Buncombe County, NC. This is Asheville. The vacation benefits seem to square with that I can found at NC OSHR.

https://www.buncombecounty.org/commo...l%20Format.pdf

1) 8% 401k match - no contribution required. This is a county level benefit not specific to other NC counties, per the link above.

2) 6% salary contribution to state of NC pension system. Vesting period is five years. That would leave me with a pension, though probably small, at age 41.

2) Far better medical insurance than what I'd be offered through the health system. Lower cost, better coverage.

3) Twelve annual "leave" days. This is sick time, best I can tell. Fourteen days of vacation, increasing with years of service. Twelve holidays. 12+12+14 = 38. I have 21 days of total combined leave at the hospital system. That is over three business weeks of total leave difference. Next year, the county gives three days at Christmas, two at Thanksgiving, and other assorted holidays.

Hospital systems grant no paid holidays at all, even for office staff. You're working those holidays unless you "pay yourself" with them from the relatively meager PTO accrual.

4) There are other ancillary benefits that are much better than the hospital system. They aren't worldbreakers - the county has a free urgent care type clinic from what I can tell, where treatment is free or very low cost for employees.

Both jobs are mostly remote. I live in northeast TN and would not be required to commute to Asheville, or even move closer. I am within the hiring area (two hours), so there is no need for me to relocate at this time.

The pay decline is about $12k from the hospital, from what I can tell, and it would be a title demotion of one grade. I am going to see what can be done about that - a person with twelve years of progressively responsible experience and a senior analyst at other firms would typically not hire in at level 2 analyst position, but wouldn't necessarily turn it down on that alone. I'd also be back to paying 5.5% NC state income tax that I don't have to pay in TN.

I can live off the money, though I would need to chop out some lifestyle. I'm behind on my retirement savings, and anything with a generous pension, much less these other perks, is extremely appealing.

Further, at the hospital system, I'd be reporting to a contractor whose term is up in February. We've worked together before, but who knows if her contract will be renewed. There could be another manager. The place has had tons of employee churn, toxic corporate culture, etc.

The hospital job is nothing but a port in the storm. The government job is potentially somewhere I could see myself staying for decades, not only due to the government benefits, but due to the location - team seemed to be less high-strung/drama-prone, etc.

The reason that I'm posting this here is that I've discussed government retirement many times, and that I'm thinking a very long horizon with this job - potentially leading me to at or near retirement with a full pension should things go well.

At this point, unless the money surprisingly come back low-ball, I'm taking the government position. Is my reasoning sound? Keep in mind I'm looking at this position as something very long-term, due to the government benefits, good local pay, and the fact that it's in one of my preferred areas to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 10:09 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,808,939 times
Seriously, I'd take the government job and not regret it one second

Old 12-07-2022, 01:10 AM

208 posts, read 119,781 times
Take the government job!
I worked in county government for 35 years in California.
Each position has merit steps. You might be able to negotiate which merit step you start at. Point out that you will be taking a reduction in pay and that you would like to minimize that as much as possible.
In California each merit step was a 5% increase.
But even with the pay reduction you will have a pension. And time off. And good health benefits.
Take the job!

And I say this sitting here retired receiving my pension and I haven’t had to change my lifestyle one iota. The paycheck just comes from a different entity.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:50 AM

17,374 posts, read 11,342,569 times
Take the government job and never look back. This would be a dream job for many.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:35 AM

882 posts, read 771,465 times
I am retired from the state of NC. Not only will you vest after 5 years, you will be eligible for their retiree health insurance. If you are planning to work at least 5 more years, that’s reason enough to take the county job.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:42 AM

767 posts, read 421,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm between jobs right now.

I worked for a hospital system for nearly six years. Around the first of the year, I took a job at a manufacturing company in IT. The company likes to market itself as a "science/tech" employer, but R&D is not done where I was officially based out of, and I had desk space in the office part of a factory complex.

Throughout the late summer and early fall, there was a notable slowdown in the business. Sales forecasts were reduced, then factory floor workers were let go. A second round of layoffs in the factory and some support office staff occurred. While I supported corporate operations, being attached to a failing site was not a good look. I left the Wednesday before Thanksgiving after receiving an offer.

Seeing the writing on the wall, I began applying at multiple places back in September and October. I ended up accepting an offer to go back to the hospital system I left earlier in the year at the same pay/grade level/etc. It was a "port in the storm" type of thing. I'm due to start 1/3.

I applied for an IT position with a local county government in western North Carolina in October. I heard back about two weeks ago, had three interviews (two remote, one on-site) that all went very well. I already support many of their technologies. One position was owning tax software for the county, which I did at the hospital system. I have an extensive background in financial software.

The hiring manager followed me on LinkedIn (where I have three public recommendations from two tax accountants and the VP of tax) a few days ago. I had confirmation from a few references (including the two tax accountants) that the county wanted a reference check. A quality employer like that is typically not doing reference checks for the sake of it - usually, at that point, they've made the decision to hire unless there is something negative in the reference check. There won't be. Managers aren't following a very public LinkedIn profile like that (I have over 3,000 LinkedIn followers) for nothing.

If this goes through, and I think it will at this point, this is a potential life-changing opportunity for me. This is some place I could see myself staying for decades, for various reasons. Here's how it breaks down financially.

This is a local government position. Here's what I've been able to deduce from Glassdoor and the benefits.

Glassdoor rating for this county is 4.8/5 stars. Hospital system is 2.8/5. It is Buncombe County, NC. This is Asheville. The vacation benefits seem to square with that I can found at NC OSHR.

https://www.buncombecounty.org/commo...l%20Format.pdf

1) 8% 401k match - no contribution required. This is a county level benefit not specific to other NC counties, per the link above.

2) 6% salary contribution to state of NC pension system. Vesting period is five years. That would leave me with a pension, though probably small, at age 41.

2) Far better medical insurance than what I'd be offered through the health system. Lower cost, better coverage.

3) Twelve annual "leave" days. This is sick time, best I can tell. Fourteen days of vacation, increasing with years of service. Twelve holidays. 12+12+14 = 38. I have 21 days of total combined leave at the hospital system. That is over three business weeks of total leave difference. Next year, the county gives three days at Christmas, two at Thanksgiving, and other assorted holidays.

Hospital systems grant no paid holidays at all, even for office staff. You're working those holidays unless you "pay yourself" with them from the relatively meager PTO accrual.

4) There are other ancillary benefits that are much better than the hospital system. They aren't worldbreakers - the county has a free urgent care type clinic from what I can tell, where treatment is free or very low cost for employees.

Both jobs are mostly remote. I live in northeast TN and would not be required to commute to Asheville, or even move closer. I am within the hiring area (two hours), so there is no need for me to relocate at this time.

The pay decline is about $12k from the hospital, from what I can tell, and it would be a title demotion of one grade. I am going to see what can be done about that - a person with twelve years of progressively responsible experience and a senior analyst at other firms would typically not hire in at level 2 analyst position, but wouldn't necessarily turn it down on that alone. I'd also be back to paying 5.5% NC state income tax that I don't have to pay in TN.

I can live off the money, though I would need to chop out some lifestyle. I'm behind on my retirement savings, and anything with a generous pension, much less these other perks, is extremely appealing.

Further, at the hospital system, I'd be reporting to a contractor whose term is up in February. We've worked together before, but who knows if her contract will be renewed. There could be another manager. The place has had tons of employee churn, toxic corporate culture, etc.

The hospital job is nothing but a port in the storm. The government job is potentially somewhere I could see myself staying for decades, not only due to the government benefits, but due to the location - team seemed to be less high-strung/drama-prone, etc.

The reason that I'm posting this here is that I've discussed government retirement many times, and that I'm thinking a very long horizon with this job - potentially leading me to at or near retirement with a full pension should things go well.

At this point, unless the money surprisingly come back low-ball, I'm taking the government position. Is my reasoning sound? Keep in mind I'm looking at this position as something very long-term, due to the government benefits, good local pay, and the fact that it's in one of my preferred areas to live in.
I would take the government job,OP.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,356 times
Go government. I am a federal employee. A coworker of mine left federal service in May to accept a private sector position in the medical field for a major big pharma company. She was laid off at the end of June (so she was barely there a month). Other long-term employees working for the same company were also laid off. She is still looking for a job that pays that much. Government is slow, plodding, and steady, but sometimes the long game wins.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:27 AM

6,636 posts, read 7,372,489 times
My experience is that there are very capable employees and those that are not. You could become frustrated by the slackers so be sure you are ready to work in this environment.
My impression is that governments may not be up to date on the best procedures. This could be a challenge and a lot of fun improving the systems. Good opportunities to make improvements.

For job security I think the government job would be higher than non government.
The above is my general impression and I know nothing about the unit you are interviewing with.
I would try the job

Old 12-07-2022, 07:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 3,085,928 times
The pension from the government job would go a long way to alleviate your retirement concerns. Go for the government job. Plan on working until at least age 65.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:34 AM

863 posts, read 797,740 times
As someone with 2 pensions and healthcare for life, forgoing a little now will be more than worth it in the long run. Take the county job and don’t look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment