Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 PM

275 posts, read 252,455 times

Advertisements

I also say no.

In this case, the employee was treated illegally by his employer and he stood up for his rights. It is no different than if you sue a car who hit you for damages, etc. He asserted his rights in a situation where someone was taking advantage of him by failing to follow a law.

Also, not to be facetious, but if you hire this person and also follow State and Federal Law, you have nothing to worry about.

Honestly, the responsibility for this occurrence doesn't rest on the employee but rather on the employer who broke the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Another vote for "no". I may be biased because I'm in the legal field, but I would want my employees to fight for what is right.

If it were a frivolous claim it would be another story, but I can't believe we're worried about people who sued their employers when the employers were absolutely in the wrong.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Another vote for "no". I may be biased because I'm in the legal field, but I would want my employees to fight for what is right.

If it were a frivolous claim it would be another story, but I can't believe we're worried about people who sued their employers when the employers were absolutely in the wrong.

This. An employee who sues every employer, a red flag. One who stands up for his rights? Not so much.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Very much a red flag. It tells me they are litigious in nature.

I've never sued anyone, but if I'm not getting paid, you can be damn sure I'm going to sue. I have a family to feed.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I've never sued anyone, but if I'm not getting paid, you can be damn sure I'm going to sue. I have a family to feed.
Exactly. There is a huge difference in being "litigious" and fighting for your rights and making sure you are treated legally. Also, and maybe I am wrong, but my guess would be there were a lot of steps between discovering the issue and filing a claim with any sort of tribunal...and I am guessing the employer had more than one chance to fix the issues.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
It really depends whether you like the guy.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It really depends whether you like the guy.
I am going to agree with this. If you like him, there is no reason it should be an issue. If you don't, I can see why this, added to the other reasons, could be another mark in the "not for hire" column.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Very much a red flag. It tells me they are litigious in nature. It has also been my experience (BTW, I am a risk manager in the healthcare industry and work with doctors and their employee matters) once someone has done so they are quicker to do so again and again. Credentials aren't everything- I suggest finding the person you think would be the best fit.

Also, I am NOT advocating a business being lazy with respect to employee issues. However, it seems there are those chosen few who want to find a reason to cause trouble whenever they can. And while I do not know this person, I do see it as a red flag.
Yes, that is exactly how the HMO's litigation works, you tell the doctor how to treat the patient based on cost not what the doctor knows as the patients needs.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:01 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I think it's only a red flag if you plan to play fast and loose with the rules yourself.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
There is a certain type of personality that loves to litigate.
I would not want to hire someone like that...lest I make a mistake.
Not saying they were wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment