U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 AM

20 posts, read 20,486 times

Advertisements

How well do you know the manager of your supervisor? Do you work closely with him/her? Could you come to him/her if there was a work issue with your manager? Is he or she approachable?

Why do I ask? People where I have worked are always complaining about how their supervisor is making bad decisions, are unfair, and are dragging the company into the ground. The trouble is they seem to have no connection between staff who are at the front lines and senior management who could make changes, or listen to their honest concerns. In many cases the senior management have so many direct reports that they don't even know the staff of their direct reports or the issues they are facing.

If you were concerns about how you were treated by your supervisor, would you be able to go to his/her boss with being fired? If your boss was making mistakes that was hurting the company would his/her team be able to get an audience with the bosses manager?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 AM

10,075 posts, read 6,184,105 times
know them pretty well... they come around daily or weekly to greet us and check if everything is ok

If you were concerns about how you were treated by your supervisor, would you be able to go to his/her boss with being fired? Of course... We have a thing called a union to prevent unjust firing
If your boss was making mistakes that was hurting the company would his/her team be able to get an audience with the bosses manager? Again, would go to union if it was hurting a person...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM

5,815 posts, read 6,461,336 times
I've been in both situations where I was very close with my boss's boss and been in orgs where I wasn't. Ultimately though, IMO, it is irrelevant to the question.

I would not go over my boss's head in any organization I've been in. In most cases, doing what you suggest would be a mistake.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

20 posts, read 20,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I've been in both situations where I was very close with my boss's boss and been in orgs where I wasn't. Ultimately though, IMO, it is irrelevant to the question.

I would not go over my boss's head in any organization I've been in. In most cases, doing what you suggest would be a mistake.
Why not? Coward?

You and the rest of the team are passionate about their work and the success of the organization. You want the customers and clients to be served well. You and the team know the latest and greatest ways to get things done in your technical field and your immediate supervisor lacks skills in the function. He is a complete idiot and is making terrible decisions that is negatively impacting the work of the team. You all go to him and show him time after time that his decisions are disruptive and against common sense and how professional operate. His entire team agrees he is a complete idiot. Shouldn't his boss know about this?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 AM

30,787 posts, read 24,305,480 times
My manager's manager is an executive, so not really. At my previous employer, my manager's manager was my direct manager for some time. As time went on, he became more and more inaccessible.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 AM

5,911 posts, read 8,213,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spring Greenery View Post
How well do you know the manager of your supervisor? Do you work closely with him/her? Could you come to him/her if there was a work issue with your manager? Is he or she approachable?

Why do I ask? People where I have worked are always complaining about how their supervisor is making bad decisions, are unfair, and are dragging the company into the ground. The trouble is they seem to have no connection between staff who are at the front lines and senior management who could make changes, or listen to their honest concerns. In many cases the senior management have so many direct reports that they don't even know the staff of their direct reports or the issues they are facing.

If you were concerns about how you were treated by your supervisor, would you be able to go to his/her boss with being fired? If your boss was making mistakes that was hurting the company would his/her team be able to get an audience with the bosses manager?

Do people normally have managers when they are retired?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,025,453 times
This is one of my VPs....and he hired me directly. While my"manager" is the person that handles my time off, etc, I often go to my VP, as I am very comfortable going to him.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,368 posts, read 66,152,660 times
I'm a manager, so report to a director who happens to be off on extended sick leave due to surgery. That has given me the opportunity to work more closely with the managing director, who reports directly to the CEO. Fortunately not much has come up that I couldn't handle on my own, but he has come to me with questions that would have normally gone to my boss. I have never had an "issue" with my boss that would require going up higher in the past 7 years.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM

16,023 posts, read 24,579,647 times
Going over your managers can backfire. If an employee comes to me about something the boss did I would ask "What did he/she say when you talked about it?".

What happens far too often is employees believe they know how to manage better or a better process than the boss, but don't bother approaching the boss. It has nothing to do about being cowardly going above your boss's head.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM

10,599 posts, read 16,199,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spring Greenery View Post
Why not? Coward?

You and the rest of the team are passionate about their work and the success of the organization. You want the customers and clients to be served well. You and the team know the latest and greatest ways to get things done in your technical field and your immediate supervisor lacks skills in the function. He is a complete idiot and is making terrible decisions that is negatively impacting the work of the team. You all go to him and show him time after time that his decisions are disruptive and against common sense and how professional operate. His entire team agrees he is a complete idiot. Shouldn't his boss know about this?
Well I can call names too and say WHY? DUMMY?

So you never worked in a corporation and have ZERO CLUE how it works? That they ALWAYS say they have an open door policy but they don't mean that as becoming the ad hoc Bit!ch & Moan HR dept. That means you get to go in and say how great your dept is and how happy your last customer was.

That's called a skip level and YOU NEVER EVER EVER do it unless you are prepared to die on the hill for your cause.

The organization will occasionally HAVE a skip level meeting, too.

IF you have a "relationship" with the skip level you MAY be able to get away with making a "between you and me...so and so needs help so keep an eye out" type of RISK.

It's HILARIOUS you think upper management doesn't know ABOUT THEIR OWN ORGANIZATION & SUBORDINATES - warts and all.

But you're just sittin around thinking of rehashing the same old topics, right?

BTW this is just a baloney not even realistinc hypothetical whine. Proving again how you don't know how things work. Quality management. Continuous improvement. Education. yada yada

Quote:
You want the customers and clients to be served well. You and the team know the latest and greatest ways to get things done in your technical field and your immediate supervisor lacks skills in the function
My suggestion is all the smart, latest and greatest crowd go start their OWN business. They'd last about 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment