U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM

532 posts, read 842,605 times

Advertisements

So...like most places, my company has the requisite "person who barely works and gets away with it".

She maybe works 2 days a week, the rest of the time she sits around talking and is constantly on her phone.

My boss did acknowledge the phone part to me, but none of the other things she does.

For some reason she is exempt from the dress code at work, and gets away with hoodies.

Doesn't even try to look busy.

We have a new manager and I was hoping he would bring this up with my current manager (she is the top person at my company), but not only has he not said a word but he's on his phone all the time as well, also not lost on my boss who has made several comments about it to me.

If my boss doesn't think I'm busy enough, she will suggest projects for me, but this snowflake literally sits around talking.

Every time I see it, I feel my blood pressure going up, I have not said one word about it to my boss nor do I intend to because as I've learned if she doesn't report to me (and she does not) and if her doing nothing has no effect on my work (it does not), then it none of my business, so thought better to come here and blow off some steam!

We have some people from corporate in our office for a meeting next week, maybe they will see it and say something. My only hope.

Thanks.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 AM

12,633 posts, read 10,322,255 times
Get over it. That has nothing to do with you. You are creating unnecessary stress for yourself.

Truth: that employee and the manager are at home chilling. Here you are angry and posting on C-D. Which would you rather be?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 AM

5,865 posts, read 4,047,555 times
It's ok. Time and tide will wash it all away...

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

5,258 posts, read 3,141,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
She maybe works 2 days a week, the rest of the time she sits around talking and is constantly on her phone.
People actually talk on a phone nowadays? Shocking!!! I thought voice-based communication on a phone was disappearing.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 PM

18 posts, read 11,287 times
I say let it go. Good for you that you are not like her. As long as it doesn't affect you, then great.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM

22,346 posts, read 13,695,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
So...like most places, my company has the requisite "person who barely works and gets away with it".

My boss did acknowledge the phone part to me, but none of the other things she does.

For some reason she is exempt from the dress code at work, and gets away with hoodies.

Doesn't even try to look busy.

We have a new manager and I was hoping he would bring this up with my current manager (she is the top person at my company), but not only has he not said a word but he's on his phone all the time as well, also not lost on my boss who has made several comments about it to me.

If my boss doesn't think I'm busy enough, she will suggest projects for me, but this snowflake literally sits around talking.

Every time I see it, I feel my blood pressure going up, I have not said one word about it to my boss nor do I intend to because as I've learned if she doesn't report to me (and she does not) and if her doing nothing has no effect on my work (it does not), then it none of my business, so thought better to come here and blow off some steam!

We have some people from corporate in our office for a meeting next week, maybe they will see it and say something. My only hope.

Thanks.....
The bold part is important:

6 Steps for Dealing With a Lazy Co-Worker - US News

Quote:
1. Figure out how the laziness is impacting your work. This is the most important thing to keep in the forefront of your mind when dealing with a lazy coworker. It’s easy to simply get sucked into a vortex of frustration, in which you’re so irritated by the person’s laziness that you lose clarity about how it impacts you, if at all. But being clear about the impact on you – versus what’s unfair or frustrating but doesn’t actually impact you – is key to being able to address it effectively. For instance, maybe you end up needing to pick up your co-worker’s slack, which means you need to put in extra hours to complete your work or can’t give your own clients the attention you’d like. Or maybe you end up needing to spend time redoing your co-worker’s work, because it’s never done carefully the first time.

If your co-worker’s work habits are indeed affecting your own work, then move on to steps two and three. If it’s not impacting your work, skip those and move straight to step four.
So, based on step 1, this co-worker is not directly affecting the OP via extra work to pick up the slack. Step 4 basically states not to cover for and enable a lazy employee by doing their work or accommodating them, which is clearly not happening with the OP.

To be blunt, this is not your business to focus on a lazy or problem employee that does not affect you or your workload. Yes, you have stated as such, but it is apparent you can't let this go.

I get it that lazy workers are an annoyance. I've experienced them and I experience it now. But those people do not affect my work, so I don't pay them any mind and it certainly doesn't obsess me to the point I am thinking about it day and night.

Again, I can sense you simply won't let this go, so I suggest either directly confronting the person (at your own risk) or finding another job. As always, I wouldn't dream of going to HR.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 PM

832 posts, read 1,264,429 times
If you are being tasked with work which she is unable to complete due to her poor performance, then there are diplomatic ways to address the issue. But aside from that, please save yourself the grief of thinking about it.

I say this from experience.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,500,955 times
I hear ya, it's very hard to watch. I had one in my office. It is so rare to see such a slacker at my company that she stood out even more. I was so very happy the day that she moved to another team and down to a different floor where I didn't have to watch it anymore. I hear that she has not changed. I am actually shocked that someone hasn't canned her, but it's not my problem.

This kind of person can have a huge affect on staff morale. I can understand why you want to vent.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 PM

532 posts, read 842,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
People actually talk on a phone nowadays? Shocking!!! I thought voice-based communication on a phone was disappearing.
Talking is done with coworkers, she is either texting or playing games on her phone...or both.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,682,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post

This kind of person can have a huge affect on staff morale. I can understand why you want to vent.
Bingo! It really affects morale.

It would drive me nuts, OP. I am also someone who is not capable of meditating for more than maybe 15 seconds, too LOL. I won't be zen in this lifetime, I don't think.

I'd spend way too much time envisioning different revenge tactics.

I love the title for your thread. This is what I learned to say to friends. "I just need to vent right now. You don't need to fix it." Venting really helps.

Although, I'm thinking maybe chewing gum on her chair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment