Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 PM

212 posts, read 820,247 times

Advertisements

I keep getting calls for temp jobs, but took a permanent job with benefits which I hate after 3 weeks of work. So would you quit for a temp job or temp to perm or just take days off with excuses for permanent job interviews only and dont care if they fire you. If I get fired I go back on unemp for 8 weeks

Can I quit altogether after 3 weeks and go back on my old unemp claim. I never reported that I returned to work or made any claims for the past 3 weeks.

Last edited by captnemo; 02-14-2008 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,490,829 times
Dont go back to unemployment.

Unemployment is for people who cannot get a job and have been laid off. Not for people who dislike their job.

Keep searching. If you dislike it that much, take the temp work.

Don't be a leech of the system.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,145,288 times
I would suggest staying where you are and try to build up a good work history until you can find something you like better. Jumping around from job to job doesn't give you any kind of a good resume. Employers look at continuety, attendance, etc.
Take one step at a time but build a work foundation. It will pay off in the long run. Numerous jobs in a relatively short period of time is a red flag for employers. That doesn't mean you have to stay where you are forever. Try to work up to a career instead of just a job, but you need a good work background.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I would suggest staying where you are and try to build up a good work history until you can find something you like better. Jumping around from job to job doesn't give you any kind of a good resume. Employers look at continuety, attendance, etc.
Take one step at a time but build a work foundation. It will pay off in the long run. Numerous jobs in a relatively short period of time is a red flag for employers. That doesn't mean you have to stay where you are forever. Try to work up to a career instead of just a job, but you need a good work background.
If they're temp jobs while you look for a full-time job, its not necessarilly a red flag.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,160,895 times
You are beginning to remind me of a former member who has been banned twice.

Nobody here can make the decision for you. If you are miserable at work it is most likely because you:

1. Went into this job with unrealistic expectations.

2. Are a miserable person and are going to be miserable no matter what job you have.

In either case, please stop wallowing in self pity. And please stop collecting unemployment. As another poster mentioned, you are abusing the system.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,372,129 times
Never quit a job without another job lined up.
Unemployment insurance is not a plan, it is a last resort.

Think long and hard about what it is you "hate" about this job. What's to say the next one won't be the same thing?

If you are leaving a job because of "the people", be aware that an inability to deal professionally with people you dislike is a tremendous liability in the workplace.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,840,528 times
OP is finding out (in another thread started) that she is unable to get relief from asthma reaction due to perfume used by co-workers, and was advised in these posts that she has no case to file for disability under the ADA, as her employer has taken reasonable action to accomodate her condition, including but not limited to requesting co-workers to refrain from using perfume. Co-workers refuse to cooperate and retaliate that OP is malodorous, so OP is looking for another job right now to get away from this work environment.

IMO, OP needs to realize that these very same conditions can be repeated multiple times in her next job(s). This is why OP has multiple, related threads on leaving the job, returning to UI, etc. etc.

There, I made it easy for everyone to see where OP is coming from!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Thats why i dislike multiple threads. The info gets spread out, and I rarely check to see if the poster in one thread is the same as the poster in another.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,000,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
I keep getting calls for temp jobs, but took a permanent job with benefits which I hate after 3 weeks of work. So would you quit for a temp job or temp to perm or just take days off with excuses for permanent job interviews only and dont care if they fire you. If I get fired I go back on unemp for 8 weeks

Can I quit altogether after 3 weeks and go back on my old unemp claim. I never reported that I returned to work or made any claims for the past 3 weeks.
Why do you hate the benefits after only 3 weeks of work?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,068,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
You are beginning to remind me of a former member who has been banned twice.

Nobody here can make the decision for you. If you are miserable at work it is most likely because you:

1. Went into this job with unrealistic expectations.

2. Are a miserable person and are going to be miserable no matter what job you have.

In either case, please stop wallowing in self pity. And please stop collecting unemployment. As another poster mentioned, you are abusing the system.
Forget all that... a lot of recruiters sell jobs to applicants and lead you into false or unrealistic expectations. So you jumped into something you didn't know you'd hate? If you can live on the peanuts from unemployment, quit. If you work too long and don't report it, the IRS might catch on that you had a W-2 from a job and unemployment benfits. Don't worry about unemployment catching on - heads up their arsses.

I would say stick it out for a year, but you hate it after only 3 weeks?! Don't torture yourself. Claim you weeks, quit the job, do some more temp to perm work. But find something soon and tough it out. You need to build your resume and employment gaps look really bad. That's my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment