Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM

128 posts, read 269,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
$100k salary has been known to be the "dream salary" to live comfy, while this may not be the case for many cities. I am curious on how long it has taken you to reach this milestone? I am currently 25 making $60k a year, wondering am I too ambitious by wanting to hit this milestone before 30 years old?
Started working on July, 1997 with a whopping salary of $29k. When I left in January 2001, I was making $32k.

January 2001 was making $40k. Left in July 2002 Making $42k.

July 2002 through October 2002 was making $55k. I did not survive my three month employment there for a number of reasons.

June 2003 (yup, was unemployed for awhile...) was making $53k. That salary would be stagnant until March 2006.

March 2006 was making $64k. Left in April 2015 making $96k.

April 2015...$110k. Still at the same job currently.

In short, it took me sometime before I broke six figures. I didn't have a college degree when I started my career. Now I have a BS and a graduate certificate. Hoping I can break into management.

Keep in mind too that there are others who had better contacts than I did that made a lot more in less time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:32 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
It took 3 years post college. Geting to 200k took 9 years after that.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM

115 posts, read 98,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
It took 3 years post college. Geting to 200k took 9 years after that.
Are you in sales as well?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 3,402 times
Quote:
I am a product development manager for a consumer electronics company employed with this job for 2 years. My past experience is irrelevant as I went for a career change. I am almost done with my MBA in marketing.
Find a company that is owned by a private equity company. They pay REALLY well. However, the job security is not there. Especially in marketing. Try the BIG corporations for marketing, P&G, J&J, Nissan, Ford, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. You will find it easier to stay long term (until you see fit to make a job change) and work in several positions while there.

Good Luck

Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think that's a false dichotomy. What you're saying is that you make that kind of salary, you're going to be chained to the oars. It hints at a kind of a reverse snobbery, where one gets to feel sorry for those who make more because they've obviously sold their soul to corporate America.

Hate to burst your bubble, it's entirely possible to make that kind of salary without being a corporate slave. Do you work a couple of extra hours here and there? No question. But the 70/80 work week is a serious stretch. If you work for a company that values your skills, you figured out how to be productive, and you are helping the company profit, you will be rewarded. In fact, I say it all the time to my clients -- If you or your employees are routinely pulling 45-50 hours week after week, then something is seriously wrong in your company.

Personally, I am well-compensated. After paying my dues my first five years out of school, I always have been. Because I have delivered at work, always improving my skills and figuring out ways to make my employers more money. So, in truth, what you get paid is exactly how much your employer values what you do. If you think you should be making more, find a place that will pay it.
Totally agree. I know a lot of people that make 100k or more more, and they put in about 45 hours a week at the most. It's all about how you move up, how efficient you are and good you are at your job.

One job I had started out at $40k, the following year WITHOUT promotion they gave me a merit raise just based on my work of $10k, so I was at $50k. Then six months later they were still so happy with me that they gave me a promotion and bumped my pay to $55k. This was all within two years.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:30 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Did you retire? Quit? If so, how long ago?
I left in 2007 after 21 years. Not real retirement, but we moved and DH offered to support me.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
It was pretty easy after I put up all of the hotels, obtained all 4 railroads, and owned Boardwalk and Park Place.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:52 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
$100k salary has been known to be the "dream salary" to live comfy, while this may not be the case for many cities. I am curious on how long it has taken you to reach this milestone? I am currently 25 making $60k a year, wondering am I too ambitious by wanting to hit this milestone before 30 years old?

For tech jobs it's basically a matter of staying at one company for about 2-3 years, and then just job hopping for a higher salary. Traveling also helps, I would have never hit 100k if I stuck in one market. Basically you have to go to companies for the right skills, and then use those skills to sell yourself for the right position. Currently no one even offers me anything under 100k, so far I'm not pricing myself out of the market either.

I will say that 100k salaries aren't all they're cut out to be. When you make over 100k you're taxed a whole lot more. Also companies generally should be offering something like stock options or a bonus with that 100k. Few companies offer salaries that exceed $150k base. Generally anything beyond that manifest itself in a different bonus structure, stock options or equity.

P.S: I started out at $11 an hour, now I make over 100k. I finally hit 100k in 2013, so it took me quite a few years. The first 5 years of my career however were extremely stagnant because I was unwilling to travel or take many risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment