Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM

29,559 posts, read 22,921,796 times

Advertisements

A question that is asked from time to time on this forum, you may or may not be fired, and there may be legal options to deal with it.

Can caring for your family get you fired? | Jim Gallagher | stltoday.com
Quote:
Dad takes time off to stay home with a sick kid. Can the boss legally fire him?

Maybe.

A woman seven months pregnant asks the boss for light duty. Instead, he assigns her to lift 70-pound boxes onto a truck. Can a mean boss get away with that?

Maybe.

The boss notes that a new mother on his staff is very devoted to her baby. So, the boss mentally puts her on the “mommy track,” demanding less of her but also crossing her off the list for promotion. Is that legal?

These kinds of questions are increasingly being answered in courtrooms. “Family responsibility discrimination” cases have more than tripled over the last decade, according to the Center for WorkLife Law at the University of California Hastings School of Law.

“It’s the fastest-growing area of employment law,” said Joan Williams, the center’s director and a law professor.

The cases involve what happens when a person’s family life — pregnancy, illness and the need to care for others — conflicts with work.

There is good news for workers: They win 67 percent of cases that go to trial, according to the Center for WorkLife Law examination of 4,400 cases. Verdicts and settlements average $477,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM

23,797 posts, read 24,362,258 times
With "at will" employment, your employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason. Of course, it cannot be an illegal reason.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM

973 posts, read 922,495 times
"The boss notes that a new mother on his staff is very devoted to her baby. So, the boss mentally puts her on the “mommy track,” demanding less of her but also crossing her off the list for promotion. Is that legal?"

Sounds fair to me. Promotions are for people who've worked for it. Having coworkers pick up your slack doesn't warrant a reward.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM

6,788 posts, read 9,648,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Sounds fair to me. Promotions are for people who've worked for it. Having coworkers pick up your slack doesn't warrant a reward.
How on earth does being devoted to your baby mean you're slacking off.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 3,609,669 times
You can be fired for anything. I was fired once from a church day care because the parents didn't like that I had a bi-racial daughter. They even tried withholding my final paycheck and I had to fight for it. People gave me attitude for trying to take legal action against a church. I was like I want my money. Didn't win me any brownie points. I was ticked. I was told I couldn't do anything about the reason I was fired because I wasn't the one who was bi-racial. I was like fine, but I still want my money.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 AM

994 posts, read 1,547,596 times
I hope we see more of this in the future, and I think we will as Gen X and Millennial parents exact more demands on employers for work-life balance, and as Boomers who need/want to stay in the workplace face the realities of caring for their elderly (80s+) parents. Additionally, employees with illnesses or chronic conditions, too, may benefit from the attention being given to this area.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
How on earth does being devoted to your baby mean you're slacking off.
When the boss demands less of you, where does the excess demand go? Well...it goes to your coworkers. Not saying being devoted to your baby is bad, but this is the workplace. Workplace and family are separate. I actually commend people that put family over work, but that being said, it's unfair to other coworkers who pick up additional responsibilities. So no, she shouldn't be on the promotion track if her boss is taking her workload and placing it on others.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
When the boss demands less of you, where does the excess demand go? Well...it goes to your coworkers. Not saying being devoted to your baby is bad, but this is the workplace. Workplace and family are separate. I actually commend people that put family over work, but that being said, it's unfair to other coworkers who pick up additional responsibilities. So no, she shouldn't be on the promotion track if her boss is taking her workload and placing it on others.
You're assuming things that aren't in the original description. It doesn't say that boss had any reason for demanding less of her than noticing that she was devoted to her baby. It doesn't say that anybody else was picking up additional responsibilities for her.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You're assuming things that aren't in the original description. It doesn't say that boss had any reason for demanding less of her than noticing that she was devoted to her baby. It doesn't say that anybody else was picking up additional responsibilities for her.
Fair enough, it doesn't say anyone else was picking up...but in the professional world if someone's not producing they're either terminated or their coworkers are helping out...so, while assumptions are just assumptions, it's a fair assessment would you not say?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, it doesn't say anyone else was picking up...but in the professional world if someone's not producing they're either terminated or their coworkers are helping out...so, while assumptions are just assumptions, it's a fair assessment would you not say?
No, I would very much not. I think that there is a not-small set of people who assume that "Hours sitting at your desk" equals "producing" and that they cause all kinds of misery for people who know that work-life balance is actually better for both work and life.

I work around lots of people with babies and children who are producing and reproducing. When we had a baby, though I'm a man, I hope I came across as devoted to the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment