Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Silly and wrong.... That's why so many companies have "process improvement" incentives.
At my last full-time job I was finally at a firm large enough to deal in that kind of stuff. I found it was pure window-dressing. In fact if you suggested a better way of doing things you were considered an odd-ball at best and, as in my case, fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At my last full-time job I was finally at a firm large enough to deal in that kind of stuff. I found it was pure window-dressing. In fact if you suggested a better way of doing things you were considered an odd-ball at best and, as in my case, fired.
Was that your actual personal experience?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It appears they are ostracized from not only from the workplace but society in general? Why are they ostracized?
Aren't they SELF OSTRACIZING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its the introvert or loner (the ones who don't s*** people over for their own benefit) but don't interact on an intimate level professionally or personally with others.
If you do not take part in the process how are people supposed to know what you want? How are people supposed to know if you are happy or sad?

And let's face it, most jobs can be filled by a large amount of people. Nobody wants to be at work but if you have to be there you might as well be there with people who are nice and kind, have good hygiene and are respectful to others.

I do not see people ostracizing introverts but I do see people who nobody knows how to deal with being avoided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTmgBsMMrs

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Aren't they SELF OSTRACIZING?

If you do not take part in the process how are people supposed to know what you want? How are people supposed to know if you are happy or sad?

And let's face it, most jobs can be filled by a large amount of people. Nobody wants to be at work but if you have to be there you might as well be there with people who are nice and kind, have good hygiene and are respectful to others.

I do not see people ostracizing introverts but I do see people who nobody knows how to deal with being avoided.
And that may not be the introvert. Actually, if the action is "avoidance" it's probably not of an introvert.

We have a young man on our team who is very much an extrovert...but he's also substantially lacking in knowing what to say and how to say it, which makes him very much a bull in a social china shop. People do avoid him with enough vigor that I noted it when I first arrived, wondered why people were avoiding this obviously friendly and outgoing young man...and then discovered why. His obtuseness is serious enough to make him positively dangerous.

We have another man who is an introvert. He'll usually not intimate a conversation except for business necessity, he's made it known he's not one for small talk, but he responds readily and without any obvious annoyance to any business inquiry.

But...he will drop by my desk with a new tidbit of interest with regard to Star Trek....

Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Suspicion....what exactly ARE you doing all that time when you're not with the rest of the herd? It can't be good or you wouldn't be "hiding"...right?

Extroverts are the majority and the majority always wonders about the minority and what is wrong with them.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You don't have to, but don't be surprised when you are treated coldly as an outsider. Natural human reaction. Your call.
Eh...you act as though an introvert will even care...like it's a threat so by golly you'll get what you sow if you dare to "snub" people! ....exactly, that's the plan.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just like most of the convicts in jail who proclaim their innocence, many people who were fired from their jobs always think it's because of something else. In your case, you suggested a better way of doing things and they fired you? Interesting.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I am glad I never had to go to one of those cheesy leadership, management skills, company sponsored seminars and let myself fall in the " circle of trust " because I would not do it,,,,,call me an introvert I don't care . You can be an introvert and still have social skills . you can be selective with who you want to socialize with. You can be extroverted when the situation calls for it . You can enjoy spending time alone rather than with people you cant relate to. You can learn how to navigate the politics of the work place , be congenial and still be a private person . You can turn off your facebook and still have a life ....

Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Just like most of the convicts in jail who proclaim their innocence, many people who were fired from their jobs always think it's because of something else. In your case, you suggested a better way of doing things and they fired you? Interesting.
The problem with your analogy is that you are comparing criminals to people who get fired. Being fired doesn't make someone a horrible person, even if it was their own fault they were fired.

And yes, people do get fired because of "something else". All the time. Some of the best performers in their jobs are fired.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:53 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Suspicion....what exactly ARE you doing all that time when you're not with the rest of the herd? It can't be good or you wouldn't be "hiding"...right?

Extroverts are the majority and the majority always wonders about the minority and what is wrong with them.
Well, they can just keep on wondering. Someone not liking my personality is not my problem; it's theirs. The older I get, the less I care about whether or not people like me. It's a great new freedom that I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment