Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,913 times

Advertisements

Heres a general question I have
Lets say you work for a company ( start up , video game company) where long hours are the norm. We are talking 60 hour work weeks, weekend work , on call 24/7 you know your typical sweat shop conditions

Can you somehow refuse and instead just put in your typical 40 hours then go home or is it better to just quit altogether?
I mean most of us have family and friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heres a general question I have
Lets say you work for a company ( start up , video game company) where long hours are the norm. We are talking 60 hour work weeks, weekend work , on call 24/7 you know your typical sweat shop conditions

Can you somehow refuse and instead just put in your typical 40 hours then go home or is it better to just quit altogether?
I mean most of us have family and friends
Depends where.. In Nevada they can fire you for any reason..plus wouldn't you have asked what the expectations are before taking the position

Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
Sure you can refuse. But you can risk never being promoted or being outright fired for refusing overtime. Luckily every place I have worked so far as an hourly employee won't pay overtime so it's always a 40 hour week.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
depends on how much you need your job there.. if you're not worried about getting let go (obviously the hours can't be the reason; but they'll come up with something if necessary) and find someone that is willing to work 60 hours. How long have you been at the company? It's pretty common for someone new to have to put in extra hours to get up to speed; but any longer than 6 months would be a deal breaker on that for me personally.

At the end of the day, this is certainly your decision and you know what is best for you. You should have time to spend with your friends/family - find a company that actually cares about work life balance.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
I've worked at companies like this and in my personal experience the best option is to find another job/company who values work/life balance. I think I've posted elsewhere on here that I worked for a company where 80+ hour weeks were the norm as salaried employees. It was a great experience so I stuck it out for a while (over 6 years there) since I didn't have kids yet. I moved on to another company where 60hr weeks were the norm and that was a relief. At both companies people who didn't give that much were either passed over for promotions, laid off or otherwise fired. They'll find a reason to do one of those things if you refuse so overall it's best to get out of the situation. I'm now at a company where 40-50 hr weeks are normal but with call requirements. It's a much more positive place to work and I've been promoted while doing so.

If you're really young/fresh out of school it may be a good idea to stick around for the experience. It gives you skills and credentials you may not otherwise get and you can use that to your advantage to eventually wind up in a lower hour but higher paid role. Of course that's just personal experience in the IT world so take it as such.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You won't be there long if everyone is working 60 and you bolt at 40. Find a place that has the work/life balance you desire.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post

If 60 hours is the company culture, you can't just enforce your own personal culture.

It's better to look elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
It's a bad situation to be in. If that is the culture and staff are fine with it, it won't change. Find other employment.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
You mentioned a startup company. Long hours (often some people working without pay!) is often the culture.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:38 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You mentioned a startup company. Long hours (often some people working without pay!) is often the culture.
Keep in mind that if you were on the ground floor of a startup, many people often have some an emotional investment in making sure the company succeeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment