U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 780,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the meeting. Was told that the business has been affected and there is a need to downsize. And my position along with other positions are being eliminated. No mention of performance or anything. Oh well. Time to work on my resume and start again. Onwards and upwards!!!
Aw man that really sucks. I was reading the thread and it sounded ominous to say the least but didn't expect it was a hail of layoffs. Better get on your resume and start networking ASAP. You sound like an efficient type, hopefully you can get another position lined up soon.

Just a thought, what was all about this suggestion about you having a senior role that you were never previously aware of? Then suddenly you are eliminated? It doesn't make sense. What evidence is there that downsizing is taking place - do you know of others that are losing their roles or are there any pieces in industry news?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:10 PM

86 posts, read 93,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Aw man that really sucks. I was reading the thread and it sounded ominous to say the least but didn't expect it was a hail of layoffs. Better get on your resume and start networking ASAP. You sound like an efficient type, hopefully you can get another position lined up soon.

Just a thought, what was all about this suggestion about you having a senior role that you were never previously aware of? Then suddenly you are eliminated? It doesn't make sense. What evidence is there that downsizing is taking place - do you know of others that are losing their roles or are there any pieces in industry news?
I hope so too man. And thank you for your words.

So basically what happened was I interviewed for a role and was offered that role. 6 months into my stint, I was told that my 'technical skills' were not on the standard for a 'Senior person' at this role. I didn't even know I was hired as senior. Either ways, as others have mentioned they probably saw something in me based on my past employment history and experience and thought I could make it.

And I do not know of anyone else who's role has been eliminated as of yet! I'm the first one that I know of. Travel restrictions were already in place. I doubt there will be a lot of layoffs. At my level, the team was already quite lean; however there were more managers than employees. My meeting today was with two directors.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM

306 posts, read 299,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I wish this lie would disappear. If what the person says, good or bad, is true then there is no basis for a lawsuit. You can always speak the truth and as long as a company does that, all is good.
How is it a lie? Just because there's no basis for one doesn't mean they won't get sued. How many frivolous lawsuits are filed every day? Big companies are targets for a reason. They have deep pockets.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 PM

7,655 posts, read 4,137,001 times
Quote:
I wish this lie would disappear. If what the person says, good or bad, is true then there is no basis for a lawsuit. You can always speak the truth and as long as a company does that, all is good.
Yea but usually anymore than dates are subjective so unless the employee did something demonstrably illegal or the like you are making a subjective judgement call and a good lawyer can make a slander case out of it. If the company has deep pockets and anything was recorded by the person calling in (assuming it was a state that allows that which is almost all of them if your second party) then the employee can get a very large sum of money if they play it right.

No jury is going to side with a company when its highly likely that at least some of the people on the jury have been fired or laid off for lame reasons.

So if the guy tested hot for drugs they can state that and it would be factual or commited some crime. But if they just didn't make enough widgets or were late the ex employer would have to be VERY specific about exactly what happened in order to avoid a suit.

They would have to state how many minites late and document etc. And even then its subjective, I mean why was it so critical being there exactly at X time?

So yes the company can say other things but at that point they are on thin ice, better make sure you can actually document the times too and if the same consequences applied to everyone else who was 5 min late.

Now if said plaintif was a real crap bag and deserved to be fired then it was likely documented and statements could be made without much risk. but if it was a questionable political firing or personality conflict that's where things can get sticky.

If I was in survival mode due to the actions of a company I would do everything in my power to get paid.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,922 posts, read 5,371,444 times
Had my position "eliminated" by an employer. They were so afraid of litigation/being sued for anything that the severance package was contingent on my signing a statement about vacating any and all rights to any sort of legal action against them in the future.

I refused to sign until my attorney could review it, which gave them great pause and clearly distressed them.

I waited until the last day before the offer expired and then told them I wouldn't sign it based on the advice of my attorney. This was in a meeting with the HR director, no management.

"You're going to give up your severance package?"

"Yes. I have been advised by counsel not to sign the document."

He bolted from the room and went into the office of the CEO and then to my manager's office. This I could clearly see from the meeting room I was in. I kicked back, put my feet on the conference table and started reading a magazine.

The HR guy flitted back and forth between their offices for about 20 minutes, each time looking at me as he passed with eyes filled with either terror or rage, I wasn't sure.

Finally he walks back in with an amended agreement that removed all the references to my ability to sue the company in the future.

"Will you sign it now?"

"Only after my attorney reviews and approves it. Give me 48 hours."

They did and he OK'ed it. He (my attorney) was so amused by all of this posturing and the document that was written by someone who was clearly not an attorney later suggested that he send them some sort of bogus pre-litigation letter just to freak them out.

RM

Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM

4,183 posts, read 4,442,089 times
Default I think finding a new job QUICK is more about your industry and skillset, not your location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
hopefully trump brings back that level of opportunity because where I am if your laid off your pretty much screwed and have to leave the state or be unemployed over a year. Not sure where people are living where they are being constantly fired and hired because where I am if your laid off its kinda the end of the line.
If you are "laid off" in a downsizing, usually hiring managers and HR recognize this generally means the firm was decimating thier headcount, the event does not reflect poorly on you.

I think the ability to quickly get offers is more about what industry you are in than anything else. We hire the right person no matter where they live, except maybe somewhere with insanely high cost of living or where there isn't reasonable access to both fast internet (for remote work) and an airport (for when remote work won't cut it). But IT is different than some other industries.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 PM

7,655 posts, read 4,137,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you are "laid off" in a downsizing, usually hiring managers and HR recognize this generally means the firm was decimating thier headcount, the event does not reflect poorly on you.

I think the ability to quickly get offers is more about what industry you are in than anything else. We hire the right person no matter where they live, except maybe somewhere with insanely high cost of living or where there isn't reasonable access to both fast internet (for remote work) and an airport (for when remote work won't cut it). But IT is different than some other industries.
Usually if they are doing this it is because they are somehow benefiting from in/out sourcing OR they are legitimately enduring hard times as a company. I don't know what the percentages are though.

High tarrifs will weed out the wheat from the chaff. Companies not involved in unscrupulous activity will down size anyways as their hard times are lagit. Where as companies that get their weewees stepped on for screwing the American worker will likely start seeing more hiring and reversals of lay offs because they will no longer be able to leverage cheap labor.

They also wont be able to pass all those costs on because people are only willing to pay so much so it will come directly out of the fat cats wallets.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,725,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
He can try, but it's unlikely he'll get it. Most companies will just confirm the employee's title and how long they were employed for. Anything else said (good or bad) could result in a lawsuit.
I'm not sure a letter of recommendation is valid these days for office jobs. When you apply for jobs, there really isn't a place to present them. I don't think HR or hiring managers expect them. Good references is all that is needed.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry OP but a staff adjustment/layoff is definitely a better position to be in for job hunting than getting fired would have been. Good luck and hope you find something great very soon!
Yes, I agree. Good luck to the OP!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Your statement is simply wrong. Either party can file a lawsuit and it doesn't matter if there is a basis for it. There is no mechanism in place to reject lawsuits filed, that's what the court system is for. So regardless, it will cost time, money and frustration for either party regardless of who files the lawsuit. Companies want to avoid them because at the very least it costs them money to defend them and settle them just to avoid the expense of going to court or any publicity. It doesn't get resolved like it does in a one hour TV show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment