U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:34 AM

3,481 posts, read 2,733,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I find it unprofessional and skeevy for managers to tell someone to come into a meeting behind closed doors, without telling them first what the meeting is about.
So you'd prefer this?

(*phone rings*)
tassity22: This is tassity22.
Boss: We need to have a meeting, in the conference room right away.
tassity22: OK. What's it about?
Boss: No, not the conference room. Let's do this in the lobby in front of everyone, so it isn't behind closed doors.
tassity22: Well...ah, ah...er...why?
Boss: Come to the lobby, I'm here with people from HR, the entire department, vendors and I've even invited a few neighbors.
tassity22: But why?
Boss: We are going to fire you.
tassity22: But why?
Boss: We heard that's the way you want it on City Data.

Yeah, I can see how you'd prefer this scenario.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 01-26-2017 at 04:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if HR is there, then the fat lady has entered the building, your gone, take all your personal home tomorrow, including any office supplies laying around
Especially the red stapler.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,685,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I had a lawyer look over it and he said if I wanted my severance, I had to sign it. This guy had no skin in the game whatsoever.
So, you looked at all the variables and decided it was in you best interest to sign the document, but you did not have too, you chose too.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,510,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
I had nothing but positives to say. I don't like burning bridges. I thanked them for the opportunity and wished them luck just like they wished me. I relocated to the Pacific Northwest for this job. I kinda want to stay here as it's so beautiful. But let's see if that can be worked.
You handled it perfectly. Sorry about the job, but good things will come because of your mature attitude! When I got laid off in 2009 (also for corporate financial struggle reasons), it took me 11 months to find a new job, but the job I got has been AMAZING and I've been here 7+ years now.

Make sure you file for unemployment insurance, and see if you can figure out a way to do some freelance work on the side to allow unemployment to last a bit longer while you job hunt (that's what I did and my unemployment literally ran out the week I got the new job offer).

Good luck to you, travelpedia!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
So, you looked at all the variables and decided it was in you best interest to sign the document, but you did not have too, you chose too.
You are marooned on a desert island, and there is nothing to eat but coconuts. You hate coconuts, but in order to survive you were forced to eat them. If the poster wanted to continue to have benefits and pay the rent for a few months, they were forced to sign them. You are splitting hairs over nothing.

There are only a few realistic possibilities why you'd refuse to sign and not take the severance. If what they wanted you to sign contained additional restrictions than what was in your employment contract that would interfere with you seeking employment elsewhere or starting a new business that might be in direct competition to them. Or if you plan to sue them and don't want to sign something that says you won't or you would only limit it to arbitration avoiding the court system.

But for most people, sign the silly thing, take your money and get out of there. Because if you don't go quietly they will most certainly have you tagged as not available to rehire. And while they might not say anything bad when contacted to verify employment history, they could very easily not return the phone call so you can't get your background check completed which would put into question the prospective employer if you actually worked there to begin with. Or that you were such a pain to deal with, they decided not to even respond. In other words, why give them a reason to make things difficult for you.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:19 AM

255 posts, read 171,358 times
Quote:
So another update. I found out that the latest 4 that were hired in our office (including me) were laid off today. In addition two people from our Michigan office were laid off! Makes me feel better as my manager truly was telling me I was doing better since the coaching talk!
Excellent job, travelpedia!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 AM

24,567 posts, read 36,868,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
If I wanted my severance and insurance through the end of that month, then yes...I had to sign.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:23 AM

8,962 posts, read 9,720,198 times
Sorry that here that happen to you!
The right Job is out there man don't give up
Look into the same Positions working for the county or state.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:34 PM

306 posts, read 300,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
May I ask why you feel the need to keep perpetuating this falsehood/misconception/lie?
I call Acme Corp. and ask them about John Q. Public.

Case 1: The company says: John was a great employee. He was on time every day.

Well, turns out John was so stressed about being late to work that he developed X. He's going to sue.

- or -

Case 2: The company says: John showed up late to work every day.

Well, turns out John was so sleep deprived from working so late every day that he developed X. He's going to sue.

Case 3: The company says he was a senior accountant from 08/2011 - 12/2016.

Can John use anything the company just said in a lawsuit? No.

Are lawsuits from case 1/2 far-fetched an frivolous? Absolutely. By saying something other than title and time of employment verification, the company is opening up itself to potential lawsuits.

If it's such a falsehood/misconception/lie, then why did all four of my previous employers (two of which had 100K+ employees) have this same policy? Title and dates of employment. That's all they'll say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Not that same old tired line again! Once more - anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. And nothing a company says about a former employee will support a lawsuit unless it is untrue.
Um, that's basically the same thing I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
How is it a lie? Just because there's no basis for one doesn't mean they won't get sued. How many frivolous lawsuits are filed every day? Big companies are targets for a reason. They have deep pockets.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 PM

43,283 posts, read 53,945,940 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the meeting. Was told that the business has been affected and there is a need to downsize. And my position along with other positions are being eliminated. No mention of performance or anything. Oh well. Time to work on my resume and start again. Onwards and upwards!!!
All I can add is that the exact same thing happened to me, and when they carefully phrase it this way, it means you will, for sure get unemployment, and it will not reflect badly on you.

Like, BigDgeek, I also had to sign a document if I wanted severance. In my case it was saying I was not a victim of age discrimination, which was a lie, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment