Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

I just find it a little ironic that people who work in jobs that are stable, and professional in nature (not retail) are far more willing to work while sick. It's the nature of the beast. Most of us work in retail, or it's evil cousin, the food sector, because we have to. We have to either because we are going to college, to get a better job, or because we couldn't go to college. Anyway, the point is that we are taken advantage of by some of the very people we want to be (corporate sheep...baaaa). You know something is wrong when your manager delivers a monologue about how important college education is in America and then expects you to miss class to come to work. College students need some kind of legal protection that says we cannot be fired or disciplined for missing work for a school related activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Branche View Post
You know something is wrong when your manager delivers a monologue about how important college education is in America and then expects you to miss class to come to work. College students need some kind of legal protection that says we cannot be fired or disciplined for missing work for a school related activity.
I disagree. Your job expects to come first, period. They are paying you to be available during your normal working hours. If they allow you to miss work for school, then they must allow others to miss work for other functions. Many managers may not want to set the precedent.

We offer tuition reimbursement here, and are generally pro-education. Still, we expect the job to come first, always. I think a lot of it is the student's attitude (not saying that there is anything wrong with yours). If a student came to me as if she/he were entitled to time off/leaving early just because they were a student, then there would be a problem. Personally, my employers have been very supportive, but I came to them with the attitude that work came first and if something was unavoidable, I made arrangements to have work assignments covered, etc.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
mochamajesty, At the same time, discrimination exists regarding time off. In offices, I've seen parents take off ridiculous amounts of time using their kids as an excuse, and expect to be compensated (as exempt emps) equally with other exempt employees picking up their slack. That is wrong. The parents who are truly 80% employees should be compensated at 80% the typical pay rate for their job. When Little Johnny becomes independent and they can return as fully functional emps, pay them comparably.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
mochamajesty, At the same time, discrimination exists regarding time off. In offices, I've seen parents take off ridiculous amounts of time using their kids as an excuse, and expect to be compensated (as exempt emps) equally with other exempt employees picking up their slack. That is wrong. The parents who are truly 80% employees should be compensated at 80% the typical pay rate for their job. When Little Johnny becomes independent and they can return as fully functional emps, pay them comparably.

Discrimination does exist, never said otherwise.
I have seen the same thing re: parents. The OP said that students that attend school should have legal protection, which I disagree with.

I have juggled school and work, and it requires communication and time management. I also knew that I was at the mercy of my employer.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
I also feel parents should have no legal or de facto protection.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
You can get fired for anything, so I guess that includes calling in sick.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 761 times
If I get sick who's job is it to have my shift covered? I had food poisoning last week and called out 10 hours before my shift only to have my boss tell me I needed to get my shift covered!!! Isn't management supposed to do that?

Old 05-08-2016, 01:28 PM

676 posts, read 725,848 times
When I take a day off I just call and tell them I wont be in that day. it's none of their business why. In michigan they can fire you for what ever they want so yes you can be fired for being sick.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbongi.sc255 View Post
If I get sick who's job is it to have my shift covered? I had food poisoning last week and called out 10 hours before my shift only to have my boss tell me I needed to get my shift covered!!! Isn't management supposed to do that?
You have to look at company policy. Some employers require the employee to get coverage, but as a practical matter, the ultimate responsibility falls on the employer. In the case you cited, no one is going to hold it against you if you couldn't find anyone, and no one really expects you to come in with food poisoning. Having said that, if you habitually call in without making a good faith effort to to comply with the policy, There will likely be consequences.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Branche View Post
I just find it a little ironic that people who work in jobs that are stable, and professional in nature (not retail) are far more willing to work while sick. It's the nature of the beast. Most of us work in retail, or it's evil cousin, the food sector, because we have to. We have to either because we are going to college, to get a better job, or because we couldn't go to college. Anyway, the point is that we are taken advantage of by some of the very people we want to be (corporate sheep...baaaa). You know something is wrong when your manager delivers a monologue about how important college education is in America and then expects you to miss class to come to work. College students need some kind of legal protection that says we cannot be fired or disciplined for missing work for a school related activity.
I doubt businesses are firing people frequently for 1-2 days of missing work or if you schedule it with the employer, retail jobs are in good demand when economy is doing well. If there's a pattern of excessive missing work unannounced, a business will fire someone who is unreliable because it causes business disruptions. I think it's a 2 way street, you're free to look for other jobs as retail gigs are plenty. A lot of places offer flex time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment