Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
When I worked at Target years ago, I was 8 months pregnant and sick. I had a jerk (area lead) that wouldn't let me go on break early. I wasn't asking to go home or to have special treatment because I was pregnant. I just felt like If I sat down and ate few crackers I might feel better.
Has anyone ever had problems with not getting breaks or lunches.?
Are the laws the same in every state and what are they?
When I was pregnant with my first I worked contract for area banks, in other words I could take off for the whole day to go to doctors appointments and lunch w/ hubby. I could pick an assignment or not. I did not need the money but did this kind of work just to keep busy. I was at one bank and reminded them that I would not be there the next day, one of their reg. employees got upset and said something about why I had to take the "WHOLE DAY OFF" just for a doctors appointment. Well, for one I learned early on that if my appt was later in the day it would be almost impossible to get out of some places to be on time for my appt. I like to be on time so this bugged me so since I did not get paid for these days off, the place knew up front that if they wanted me to work for them that I was pregnant and would be off on these days and they had plenty of notice. I mean really, it was once a month then twice a month so it was not like it was every week I was out a day.

Then the worst place was one that I was working just fine and all of a sudden had these HORRIBLE cramps (about 6 months along at this time) and was doubled over in pain. When it first hit I looked at the guy I was working w/ and he saw the look on my face and asked if I needed a break, all I could do was nod. Off to the bathroom and I was in there for over 30 minutes before someone came in and told me I needed to get back to work. Sorry but if ANYONE I know, works for me, etc is pregnant and in the bathroom in pain, doubled over for that amount of time, I'm gonna be calling their doctor and getting them there or the hospital. It was probably another good 30 minutes before I could finally stumble out to call my doctor. They wanted me to leave and come straight there. Sudden pain again and back in the bathroom crying, doubled over. Finally gathered strength again and went to the person I ansewered to and told them I had to go. Their response, "first you need to do x, y & z". I don't think so. I called my hubby to let him know what was going on and his response was not very nice. LOL!!! He told me to tell them to "f___ off that I don't WORK for THEM" as I was only contract. I only got paid for the work I did and nothing more. I thought if I was any closer to him he would have come in there and beat the crap out of them. After that day I never went back there. I called the next morning and spoke to the president and told him everything that had happened and explained that I could not work in an environment like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I always love it when a new person starts and they are "sick" the first week or something. LOL!!!
Can't tell you the number of times I've seen that happen and it always amazes me.

No, the laws aren't the same in every state. If anyone has ever worked retail--especially during the holidays-- they know breaks are often missed. If I love what I'm doing though, I really don't mind. I've often skipped breaks or taken very short ones if I feel I'm really needed at my position.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Can't tell you the number of times I've seen that happen and it always amazes me.

No, the laws aren't the same in every state. If anyone has ever worked retail--especially during the holidays-- they know breaks are often missed. If I love what I'm doing though, I really don't mind. I've often skipped breaks or taken very short ones if I feel I'm really needed at my position.
I had a job that I preferred to work thru lunch and could and then leave early if needed. I liked that. I might eat some crackers at my desk while working and then leave early if I need to. But I often did just work thru and left at the regular time or later.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
When i call into work to call-off...i tell 'em i have "rigor mortis" and i won't be in awhile for quite some time, maybe never.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I've been at my current job for only three monthsor so and one thing that has shocked me is just how often so many people are out sick. It's possible that they're tele-commuting or on a business trip or at some other work-related function, but whatever the case may be, it seems like a lot of people have missed a lot of work. I would say the average person in my department has missed at least five days in the past three months which seems like an awful lot to me. There is this one woman who probably misses 5-6 days per MONTH! I don't know if she has some sort of special arrangement with the superiors, but it doesn't seem like it. I haven't missed a single day and rarely ever do I take off work for being sick unless I'm practically immobile and stuck in bed or on the toilet. I believe in taking a mental health day every so often, once a month or two, although I personally never do. I had actually been debating taking a random day off this week or next week given my company's seemingly incredible liberal leave policy. Ironically, I also feel a bit of a cold/sore throat coming on, so I might wind up having to regardless.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I personally think it should be illegal to go to work sick!!!!!!!
I am a total germaphobe - which is probably part of the reason I NEVER get sick!!! (knocking...)
But I HATE having to pop extra vitamins, lysol/alcohol everything, literally tell people to get away from me, make sure I get to bed early etc because someome ELSE can't take care of their D*MN selves & then doesn't have the decency to stay the f*ck HOME!!!!!!!
Oh - & don't gimme that BS about needing the money! EVERY job has sick pay! USE it!!!
If you care that little about yourself that number one you don't take great care not to get sick & number two don't take care of yourself by resting & getting better, well at LEAST care about not getting all your coworkers sick!!!!!!! (But I guess if you don't care about yourself, how can you care about others...)
UHG!!!!!!!! I guess I shoulda put this under pet peeves, huh?
Seriously, I am KNOWN for asking anyone who sneezes, coughs or what-have-you, "Are you SICK?????!!!!!" and then proceding to completely freak out on them if they are!
So of course anytime I cough, sneeze or blow my nose from eating super spicy food () - everyone goes, "Are you SICK???!!!"

Hey-about the break thing...
Grammy you're in FL - anyone else from FL - is it actually a law that you have to take 30 min break? (After 4-6 hours of work)
Cause all my employers have said that, but I read on the internet that FL DOESN'T have such a law & that it's up to the employer.
I believe they make you take a break because they don't want to pay OT!
Which I KNOW they don't - unless they have to...But they always make it seem like it's a labor law to protect YOU which I believe is BS!
Does anyone know for sure?
Sometimes I don't wanna take a d*mn break!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 AM

613 posts, read 798,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I agree...how gross. And to think all those strangers are putting that stuff in their eyes and faces that other people have touched....ewwwwww.... no wonder she had an eye infection. Nobody should ever put on make-up other women have had used on them....if you've ever seen those shows where they magnify what lives in mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, etc...you'd hurl gargantuan quantities of projectile vomit and go plain-faced for the rest of your life! To think of all these women running around with painted faces that could substitute for petri dishes...
MoMark, I didn't get the eye infection from the makeup. It was from the tanning bed. And how I know this, is because the person that tanned around the same time I did every day got one too! eeeekkkkk. For me, I always cleaned the bed on the top and bottom both before I got in it, and when I got out of it. But.....we also discovered, that the liquid in the bottle was not a disenfectant cleaner, but water!!!! Needless to say, she is no longer in business! ANYWAY....when I was a makeup artist, I took my clients safety very serious, and if I ever had a cold, sneeze, etc....I would not do makeup that day. Someone else would fill in for me. I am a clean freak as it is, and do the handwashing several times a day....and I am looking at a Bath and Body Works antibacterial spray here on my desk as I type! lol.....

btw....to note---Dillard's no longer allows the 15 minute breaks anymore, at least not in the Longview, TX store. That meant standing 8-9 hours a day with NO break other than lunch break. My mom worked in customer service and worked 6 STRAIGHT hours with no break, or lunch break!!! She and I both left in January. DON'T ASK ME HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT, BBB AND TWC HAVE ALL BEEN NOTIFIED, AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE....IT'S CRAZY!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 87,667 times
If you're hired "at will" you can be terminated or terminate your employment for any reason. You can't be fired for race, color, creed, gender, etc.

Just because you're given a set amount of sick time doesn't mean that you can abuse it. There may be fine print saying that calling off twice a month warrants a warning. If you were really that sick, you should just take two days off in a row and make things less complicated for everyone.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Termination of employment because of excessive absences after required warnings of compromise are legal...or the job might request a frequently ill employee to take a medical leave or 'leave of absence' while under a doctor's care...

Minors are required by law to take a regulated break after working a certain amount of hours and if in school can not work past a certain time...

Adults working in Florida are usually offered a 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked or lunch (30 minutes) if scheduled for more than 6 hours - this has been my experience as both a private business/regional retail worker and manager...however, I have not been able to pull up anything that mandates this courtesy.

If you are clocking out for your breaks, the company may insist that you take these breaks because the time is figured in to your work schedule and by not taking them you either go over on hours or have to leave early to stay within the allowance. Schedules are based on the planned budget provided for the store employees...yadda.

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/archive/index.php/f-58.html

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm#Florida (broken link)

Oh, and to add:
Not that I think someone should come to work if they are contagious (stay home; no brainer), but not every job has sick pay. It depends on the specific job, employee status and employer benefits provided.

Last edited by 33458; 12-14-2006 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: another point:

Old 12-14-2006, 01:34 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
I found this pertaining to Florida...enough G**gling and you can find anything!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida Lunch and Break Law
Friday, July 28th, 2006
Posted by Sarah Fitzgerald, National Business Compliance Department

Recently, I’ve been reviewing the laws related to lunches, breaks and other work hour issues. I think it is interesting to note that Florida does not have any laws on the books specifically related to this area, except those pertaining to minors. Florida law requires that minors under age 18 must be given an uninterrupted meal or rest period of at least 30 minutes for each four hours they have continuously worked.

[CUT - COPYRIGHTED CONTENT]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-27-2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: [CUT - COPYRIGHTED CONTENT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment