Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM

243 posts, read 887,220 times

Advertisements

Remember you have been given a priviledge to work for a company. When you are hired it is for a certain amount of hours, like 40 hours. The company expects you to be there and on time everyday. Yes, there are times when you are very sick and should stay home but those who abuse the system should take another look at themself. If you are terminated for abusing the system then so be it, after all they depend on you to get the job done!!!!! If you think you are indispensable think again, there are many people waiting in line for your job and it can and will be filled the minute you are gone.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 25,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTexas85 View Post
MoMark, I didn't get the eye infection from the makeup. It was from the tanning bed. And how I know this, is because the person that tanned around the same time I did every day got one too! eeeekkkkk. For me, I always cleaned the bed on the top and bottom both before I got in it, and when I got out of it. But.....we also discovered, that the liquid in the bottle was not a disenfectant cleaner, but water!!!! Needless to say, she is no longer in business! ANYWAY....when I was a makeup artist, I took my clients safety very serious, and if I ever had a cold, sneeze, etc....I would not do makeup that day. Someone else would fill in for me. I am a clean freak as it is, and do the handwashing several times a day....and I am looking at a Bath and Body Works antibacterial spray here on my desk as I type! lol.....

btw....to note---Dillard's no longer allows the 15 minute breaks anymore, at least not in the Longview, TX store. That meant standing 8-9 hours a day with NO break other than lunch break. My mom worked in customer service and worked 6 STRAIGHT hours with no break, or lunch break!!! She and I both left in January. DON'T ASK ME HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT, BBB AND TWC HAVE ALL BEEN NOTIFIED, AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE....IT'S CRAZY!
I work 12 hour shifts no breaks 4 days a week. My 2 other co workers work 12 hour shifts no breaks 5 days a week. The M-F worker gets my boss to cover for her whenever she feels "sick" EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN TIME. When I want to call in sick for some reason (it's none of their business anyways why) I get the third degree from my boss. And I'm pregnant, the shack he has us working in has termite feces falling from the ceiling every five seconds, theres a possum living right outside the window right above my head, my boss has a bigger nicer office right next to this craphole he's always making it nicer by putting nice floors etc. Not to mention every time we use the microwave when something else like an air conditioner is running all the power goes out. I work for a cab company, so the drivers are pricks, the phones ring non stop, customers are complaining all the time yelling me for the DRIVER being late. It's a high stress job in a stupid shack in the middle of crackhead town and I run the show here all by myself with absolutely no help 4 days a week 12 hours a shift with did I mention NO BREAKS AT ALL!! Tell me you got it bad with your 6 hour shift no break psh. PLEASE. I wish I HAD a break I can call late.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
Quote:
I work 12 hour shifts no breaks 4 days a week. My 2 other co workers work 12 hour shifts no breaks 5 days a week. The M-F worker gets my boss to cover for her whenever she feels "sick" EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN TIME. When I want to call in sick for some reason (it's none of their business anyways why) I get the third degree from my boss. And I'm pregnant, the shack he has us working in has termite feces falling from the ceiling every five seconds, theres a possum living right outside the window right above my head, my boss has a bigger nicer office right next to this craphole he's always making it nicer by putting nice floors etc. Not to mention every time we use the microwave when something else like an air conditioner is running all the power goes out. I work for a cab company, so the drivers are pricks, the phones ring non stop, customers are complaining all the time yelling me for the DRIVER being late. It's a high stress job in a stupid shack in the middle of crackhead town and I run the show here all by myself with absolutely no help 4 days a week 12 hours a shift with did I mention NO BREAKS AT ALL!! Tell me you got it bad with your 6 hour shift no break psh. PLEASE. I wish I HAD a break I can call late.
Jacquelines19 - Why don't you find another job? I'd rather work at McDonald's than the place you're describing.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
No one should abuse the priviledge of being able to take sick time, but that said, I really don't like it when co-workers come to work sick. (I mean, I don't WANT it too, ya know what I mean.) But I have have to admit I have gone to work with a horrible cold (which I'm sure was contagious) because I felt the "pressure" to. I think bosses put too much pressure on people to show up sick and it's ultimately kinda self-defeating because they are likely spread it to their co-workers and no one is most productive when sick.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
The previous company I worked for lumped vacation days and sick days together into PAL days to use as the employee saw fit. My current company separates the two. The sick days concept is a guilt inducer that actually rewards the sick person with a day off, while the healthy people who take care of themselves and don't get sick either gotta show up for work or call in sick when they want a day off.

Sick Days Suck! PAL is much better.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,724 times
Default At My Job

I love the policy at my job. It is acceptable to call in once in a great while (maybe once a year) and take a "mental health" day. We all get "sick" mentally once in awhile, just as we do physically and just need an extra day off. It is the opinion of our administrators that it is better for a person to take a day off, get refreshed, and come back a better person and employee for it. Good mental health also promotes good physical health. I don't know of anyone at my workplace who abuses their sick leave. Has anyone else heard of this policy? I think it's pretty cool!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelines19 View Post
I'm not sure what state you live in but many states require at least a 30 min lunch for every 8 hours worked. You may want to look into that. If your employer is not abiding by that they can pay some hefty fines. I would put together a lawsuit against the company if they are breaking the law and what you say is true. Wal-Mart employees just did it and sued for a TON of money.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I was very sick at work one day, and saw the Nurse practicioner, and she told me I should go home, and she is only there a half a day. I tried to stick it out, later in the day I was even worse. I asked if I could go, and there was only one Dr there that afternoon, hardly any patients scheduled and bountiful staff, for the circumstances. My office manager said she needed me there, and that if i was sick, I should have gotten a note. That was a Thursday.

The next day, a friday, our second busiest day of the week, when we have four providers, and are always understaffed, I came in, sick, once again. Once again, I saw the NP. But first, I knoew that one of my patients needed prior auth for 2 CT scans. I did that, saw the NP, and got a work note. I had Viral Upper Respiratory Infection.

The note did not state what was wrong w me, only that I needed to go home from work, and they asked me what was wrong with me...I am sick. Can you stay? no I cannot.

really, I neded rest. Had they let me go home the day before, I probably would have gotten enough rest to get me throught that friday, and I would have felt like crap at the end of the day, but their power tripping worked against them.

Now, I may have already posted this in the thread, I have no idea! I can't remember yesterday! Is that good or bad? Guess that depends on what happened yesterday, HUH?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
I have coworkers who might as well stay home and pretend they're sick since all they do at work is socialize. The worst part is when the manager chooses to ignore the situation to avoid any unpleasant confrontations.

If one is truly sick, they should not come to work for two reasons:

1. They need to take good care of themselves and not get worse.
2. They should not be coming to work and spreading their germs to everyone else.

Majority of companies give employees sick and/or personal days for illnesses. If a person is sick more than three business days, they should get a note from their physician to validate the time off.

I prefer to not fake an illness, I have so much work at my desk that any "unreal" time off just doubles the work when I get back.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,818 times
I would say I agree with much of what people above have mentioned, consistent patterns of being sick, especially if there is no long term illness that is being documented by a doctor. I can understand an employer firing someone for that. I know I worked for Geico for a short time, I never in my life had seen an employer behave the way they do. People including me that called in sick and even when there was a doctors note for the illness were put on probation, I had called in once in my 1 year with them and I had a doctors note for a respitory infection to be out for 2 days. I was put on probation. I quit upon the death of my father because even then I had trouble getting one week off to fly the 1300 miles to arrange his funeral and my mothers affairs after his death. ( I was only allowed 3 days off). So I think it has alot to do with the employer themselves, some are much more considerate than others. I know its a commericial but the caveman, everytime I see that commercial I think they are somewhat condesceding to people. So I think there are many companies that will fire someone for being sick, and it doesn't have to be a pattern of illnesses or abscenses, its mostly the personality of the company one works for and their individual policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment