Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which benefit would entice you the most?
Company car 11 12.36%
Cell phone 0 0%
Laptop 0 0%
Desktop 0 0%
Extra week of vacation 28 31.46%
Discounted travel or insurence 3 3.37%
Increase 401K matching 24 26.97%
Option to work a day from home each week 23 25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,721,366 times

Advertisements

Say you had the choice today of the options in the poll. Which would you pick if your employer offered you just one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Say you had the choice today of the options in the poll. Which would you pick if your employer offered you just one?
I said increased 401k matching as that is essentially a salary increase, however it would depend how much the increase would be. I would have to price out how much extra money I would make through the 401k and compare it against the cost savings of not paying for a car/cell phone/ etc.

Basically -I would pick whatever saved me the most money in the long run.

I don't care too much about the extra vacation.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I said increased 401k matching as that is essentially a salary increase,

Same here. My employer currently only matches 100% of the first 3% whereas my last employer matched 75% of the first 8% (so a free 6%). I'd take the increased 401(k).

Cell phones, computers are cheap - don't need those perks.
Vacations are more stress than work is. Besides sitting on a beach or a cruise is boring. I don't want to go any place where there is no broadband. Vacations are hot, waiting in lines, expensive, high calorie, stressful, and mosquito bites.
I already use company travel databases for discount travel and I plan ahead or get frequent flyer miles so the limited amount of personal travel I do isn't too expensive.
I like working in an office; I actually like being at work. We have basketball, pools, tennis, fitness stuff here.
Company car isn't that big of a perk if I have to pay for gas.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,346 times
Increase in 401k matching. There's a much greater long term benefit in this.

Besides, already have a company laptop. It's some low end POS in my opinion. Not much advantage to having it. I can also work from home whenever and however much I want. Being in the office is much nicer, not as lonely. And I already have discounted travel through my alumni association. I think extra vacation time will ultimately lead to more expense for you, unless you're a home body and don't go out when you're off work.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,469,855 times
At this point in my life, company car. I do not currently have a car, so that's a pretty big up front expense that is currently preventing me from taking even a part time job until I find something full time (and I don't live somewhere with public transportation- nearest bus is an express straight to the nearest MARTA station and it picks up about 10 miles away).

I have a cheap cell phone on the family plan, have my own laptop, am a budget traveler anyway (16 people on triple bunkbeds in rural Poland? excellent!), and would not get work done from home anyway. While an increased 401K matching and extra vacation would be nice, I need to take care of essentials first.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
I'd say you missed out on the biggest draw which is health insurance. Despite all the recent advancements-in-the-making, health insurance is the biggie and one which you didn't even mention.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,931,239 times
Computer, or cell phone isn't that big a perk. Company car, if used for personal travel, is considered taxable income at 50 cents a mile, so you end up paying up to 20 cents a mile. Extra week of vacation? I rarely used what I've earned. 401k matching: most of those plans have too many restrictions so that is not attractive. But the option to work from home one day a week could save substantial time. If it could be at employees discretion, work from home during winter storms or other days commuting is difficult.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'd say you missed out on the biggest draw which is health insurance. Despite all the recent advancements-in-the-making, health insurance is the biggie and one which you didn't even mention.

I just assumed that was already provided. But if it wasn't, yes absolutely that would be number 1.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Same here, health insurance would be my #1 priority. I've actually taken low paying, terrible jobs in the past just because they offered decent health insurance...sometimes it sucks having a medical condition

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,652,666 times
I would love to be able to work from home even one day a week. Either that or my company pays me for sitting in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment