Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,195 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a position at a company with a super competitive hiring process. It's a very sought after employer, the type of place you're unlikely to even be given the opportunity for an interview unless you know someone. No one in my immediate network works at this company. I did meet someone who works there a couple of months ago through my current job. He's a client of the company I currently work for. I've only assisted him twice, but they were both positive interactions. Would it be inappropriate for me to reach out to him and ask if he can pass my resume along to the hiring manager/recruiter? I'm reluctant to do so only because of the nature by which I came into contact with him (through my current employer). I would appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 01:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,559,990 times
what makes you think he has any sway? and "passing" along a resume is no different than you filling it in and dropping it off

Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what makes you think he has any sway? and "passing" along a resume is no different than you filling it in and dropping it off
My thinking is that any internal referral, however weak, is better than none at all. I think having an employee pass along a resume may get it ahead of the potentially hundreds of others who applied online and are just waiting for a call back.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:06 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Depends on how comfortable you feel with him broaching the subject.

It is true that knowing someone at a company and having them refer you and hand your resume to hiring manager is much better than being a random generic applicant. That is how I got my current job, a job that rejected me several times before as a random applicant.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 PM

432 posts, read 343,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG150 View Post
I'm interested in a position at a company with a super competitive hiring process. It's a very sought after employer, the type of place you're unlikely to even be given the opportunity for an interview unless you know someone. No one in my immediate network works at this company. I did meet someone who works there a couple of months ago through my current job. He's a client of the company I currently work for. I've only assisted him twice, but they were both positive interactions. Would it be inappropriate for me to reach out to him and ask if he can pass my resume along to the hiring manager/recruiter? I'm reluctant to do so only because of the nature by which I came into contact with him (through my current employer). I would appreciate your feedback.
My concern is how close is this client to your current company? There's a risk that the client may tattle on you.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 PM

2,121 posts, read 1,328,874 times
Quote:
My thinking is that any internal referral, however weak, is better than none at all. I think having an employee pass along a resume may get it ahead of the potentially hundreds of others who applied online and are just waiting for a call back.
If that person does not have close relation to the hiring manager, it doesn't help.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,813,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
If that person does not have close relation to the hiring manager, it doesn't help.
Pretty much this. It doesn't have to be a close relationship though. If he/she has any, it'll help because he/she can send your resume directly to them.

Either way, I'd reach out to them and see.

Best of luck.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 PM

153 posts, read 121,329 times
Sure, it's part of networking. Instead of asking to pass along your resume though, start a conversation about what their experience is like working there, and what the hiring process was like because you have an interest in the company.

The details about how to get in will be more valuable, and he/she may say, "hey, let me know if you ever apply so I can put in a word for you."

Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,234,494 times
Quote:
I did meet someone who works there a couple of months ago through my current job. He's a client of the company I currently work for.
For my part, I'd like to understand a little more about the relationship between you, your current employer and the client. Does this mean s/he is an employee of the place where you would like to work? What is the nature of the relationsip between where you work and the prospective employer? Would you be putting this person in an awkward position? I know with my company (and others with which I have worked) there are non-solicitation agreements between my company and certain vendors and clients.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 05-21-2017 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
Sure, it's part of networking. Instead of asking to pass along your resume though, start a conversation about what their experience is like working there, and what the hiring process was like because you have an interest in the company.

The details about how to get in will be more valuable, and he/she may say, "hey, let me know if you ever apply so I can put in a word for you."
This is exactly how you do it, instead of right off the bat telling him you are looking for a job there and handing him the resume to ask if he can give it to the hiring manager. Rushing it by giving him the resume puts him on the spot and is rather presumptuous.

You have to ease into it and hopefully he'll offer his help. If not, then you know not to press the issue as it can backfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment