Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times

Advertisements

File a police report every time and start recording the events (even if you are prohibited from recording), keep doing this until you get something to stick. Once your boss has a misdemeanor assault charge the tables turn and upper management is going to see that assault charge. You could still get fired at the end of it all but that assault charge will stay for life and show up in back ground checks etc.

You may get fired for having the device or you may get fired before you can get a charge to stick but in places like this its just a matter of time before you get fired anyways, might as well make them feel some pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You watch too many TV shows. Your nanny cam is going to continue to sit nicely on your shelf as you spend tens of thousands of dollars on your attorney for your case over the next 4 years. And then your lawsuit will be public record, so any employer looking to hire you can Google search your name and see you were involved in a lawsuit with a former employer and why, and drop you from consideration because you are a lawsuit troublemaker.
Then you go on to work for the federal or state govt and make private sector employers lives a living hell.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 PM

228 posts, read 201,478 times
Managers are not in some protected class when it comes to having an attitude problem. I've seen plenty of them let go over time because they've had poor attitudes or bad management styles with their employees. As far as what I've observed, poor attitude consisting of shouting, belittling, and rudeness (management or not) can and will likely get you terminated in due time.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
See my first post in this thread. The one about the company president where I work allegedly picking something up off a desk and throwing it at the sales manager who was trying to calm him down when he was yelling at his own daughter (who works here) and the former IT guy (who now works in sales) when he arrived and found our computer system down due to loss of power yesterday.

I don't know how long this guy has been the sales manager, but it has been longer than I've been working here (I started 15 years ago this month). But I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that he's decided to leave the company even though he isn't SS-eligible yet. He walked out after this happened, and it wasn't even 8:00 AM, which is when the office opens.
If I were that sales manager, I would call the police and file attempted assault charges. I would want to protect the other empliyees in the future. If the President threw a rolodex at him, he will probably throw something at another employee the next time a similar situation occurs. No loyalty is owed when a superior resorts to violence.

The President of your firm would be wise to control his temper, swallow his pride and contact that sales manager to provide the most sincere apology he has ever made! It may spare him from getting a stern visit from a police officer and a possible arrest.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-12-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,156,011 times
I am very professional and have integrity, only when I am being treated properly. Respect is earned, including respect to the boss.

Bottom line, we all work for the owners/share holders, not some regular shmo with a title.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Join a union, and call the steward over if you're supervisor has a problem with your "attitude".

What's awesome about stewards is they stand as equals under the law to deal with management, that means within reason, they can use colorful language and cannot be disciplined for it.
Do this or find a way to be self-employed. Most people become supervisors or managers, because they like to have power over others. Power such as this, will usually be used and abused.

Those who own businesses often hire others to do the dirty job of making things tough on their workers. They may not even know how they're being treated. Having bad managers can contribute to the failure of a business. Most successful companies have cooperative and respectful attitudes both up and down, with all those who work there. Do they teach that essential fact in business-management curriculums in college?

Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM

228 posts, read 201,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Do this or find a way to be self-employed. Most people become supervisors or managers, because they like to have power over others. Power such as this, will usually be used and abused.
I would argue that most people do it for the job title and pay increase that comes along with the new position. A lot of managers and supervisors lack any substantial leadership training. That being the case, there are a lot of crummy managers in the workforce who don't know how to lead a team, nor do they even care to lead people. As I stated before, they only wanted the pay increase and job title that came with the position. You would be shocked how many people I've met who think it's not management's job to actually manage their team of employees, but rather it's their employees jobs to define their own roles and figure out what types of projects and tasks to work on. So then...what's the point of the manager if everyone on the team is self-managing? It just really doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by Thom Hanks; 06-12-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Hanks View Post
I would argue that most people do it for the job title and pay increase that comes along with the new position. A lot of managers and supervisors lack any substantial leadership training. That being the case, there are a lot of crummy managers in the workforce who don't know how to lead a team, nor do they even care to lead people. As I stated before, they only wanted the pay increase and job title that came with the position. You would be shocked how many people I've met who think it's not management's job to actually manage their team of employees, but rather it's their employees jobs to define their own roles and figure out what types of projects and tasks to work on. So then...what's the point of the manager if everyone on the team is self-managing? it just really doesn't make much sense.

Reminds me of this lady at my job who applied for a manager position and her main role is to answer questions and train new employees. Well so far one employee has resigned after 10 months and she looks irritated when new employees constantly come to her with questions. So that means she needs to become a better trainer so that they will not have as many questions.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,156,011 times
On another note, these supevisors, managers are put there because they dont care, and like to be yes men.

Document everything , email and cc everyone. You cant just pretend you never got an e mail, being such a professional.

I recall one occasiin, a manager in another department shared locker rooms with line level employees. This manager, much smaller then me, decided it would be cute to stare at me getting dressed, patting my bare back, like if we were friends. He forgot where he was.

After i told him to back the f up, he decided to put on an " I am a manager" role and get in my face.after backing him into a urinal, and flushing, he got the bigger picture. It was a pleasure serving him in front of the little guys.

He tried to ask my boss to fire me, but lucky for me, my boss and his let him have it. Unwelcome touching, with 20 witnesses was hard to brush under the carpet.

This same sucker of a manager also had the nerve to remove a newspaper i was reading, and told me I should not be reading the paper while working. Only to have him stand there and do the same thing. It was fun , turning it around on him, when his boss comes out, seeing him read the paper. He was fired eventually, because of his big mouth and bigger attitude.

Managers actually think that they can screw with people in other departmente, sticking their cxhst out, preaching company policy. Goes right to their heads.

I would suggest any employees going through the same to call an old buddy for a favor, and and set the manager up. Nasty do as nasty sees. Fair game.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Yes.
Never acceptable to "talk back" to an authority figure.

Two choices: Answer in a civilized manner or quit.
I have tried to explain this to my daughter on numerous occasions.

It is NEVER the right choice to "call out" a supervisor on something, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment