Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,667 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was just informed today by employer that they are letting me go because they are not making enough profit. I was speechless and I didn't understand a thing of what they say.

They told me this is 2-week notice, so am I expected to continue working for two weeks ? Or is this immediate lay off with severance pay of two weeks salary ?

For first cast is it legal to ask me to keep working for two weeks before I leave ? I need to find a job right away and it seems not fair that I have to continue working for them then leave immediately, I won't have time to find a job. Is there something I should negotiate from them ? I live in NYC

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 PM

45,520 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Typically you will work the two weeks. If you are union the long notification might be contractual. Seeing that you're in NYC that might be local law. No it's not illegal to have you work the two weeks.

I don't know why you'd be speechless or not understand what's going on. The company doesn't have enough business to keep you on.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Typically you will work the two weeks. If you are union the long notification might be contractual. Seeing that you're in NYC that might be local law. No it's not illegal to have you work the two weeks.

I don't know why you'd be speechless or not understand what's going on. The company doesn't have enough business to keep you on.
Thanks for explaining to me that the company doesn't have enough business to keep me on. Did it look I didn't understand that part ? A little bit of sensitivity would be appreciated

My question was more about the consequences of this, I never heard of 2-weeks notice coming from employer.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,494,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis86 View Post
Hello,

I was just informed today by employer that they are letting me go because they are not making enough profit. I was speechless and I didn't understand a thing of what they say.

They told me this is 2-week notice, so am I expected to continue working for two weeks ? Or is this immediate lay off with severance pay of two weeks salary ?

For first cast is it legal to ask me to keep working for two weeks before I leave ? I need to find a job right away and it seems not fair that I have to continue working for them then leave immediately, I won't have time to find a job. Is there something I should negotiate from them ? I live in NYC

Thanks
I am sorry. The same thing happened to me. I was laid off immediately but I remained on the payroll for an additional two weeks.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,295,226 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Ask for a written job reference. Apply for unemployment--you are entitled to receive it if you've worked 26 weeks. Then look for a new job. NYC has a lot of opportunities. Send out reams of resumes while you are still employed. The more you send out the more interviews you will get.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,515,899 times
Quote:
My question was more about the consequences of this, I never heard of 2-weeks notice coming from employer.
I was laid off and had to work the 2 weeks too. The first week was at a client site , the 2nd week was from home .

Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,459,167 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Quote:
Thanks for explaining to me that the company doesn't have enough business to keep me on. Did it look I didn't understand that part ? A little bit of sensitivity would be appreciated

Yep, read your first paragraph, dear. You said EXACTLY that.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,932,887 times
While I didn't appreciate OP's reply to NorthBeach, I'll still offer my reply.

When I was laid off from a blue chip company many moons ago, I was given several weeks notice. The intent was to give me time to review the separation package, try to find another role in the company if I chose to, or to simply wrap things up and leave with a clean separation.

I chose to accept the package and leave at the stated time. In the meantime, I took advantage of the job placement services they offered in my package and worked hard the tie up all the loose ends of my current projects at work.

There are no set rules on separation. Quickly weigh any options given to you and get your name "out there" in your networks for new opportunities. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM

96 posts, read 101,301 times
I had six months notice. In my case, I was golden handcuffed as an incentive to stay to the end. My last six months was pure torture and in retrospect I would not have chosen to stay.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,263,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Yep, read your first paragraph, dear. You said EXACTLY that.
Yep.

Truly, I'm not going to give any more advice when people start getting scolded by the same people asking for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment