Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM

35 posts, read 35,921 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 year old woman who has yet to find a state I enjoy living in . I am looking to stay in a vibrant city so I can achieve some of my goals which require networking. I have been abroad teaching History for the last four years and so far employers are not appreciating this time out of country.

Moving on I have an offer to teach in a rural area and as a black woman I am not excited. I was aiming for a bigger city but they seem to think I am a flight risk asking when will I head to my next adventure. I want to take this job because I need experience and simply cannot find anything better at the moment. On the other hand I want to leave the offer because I can assume I will not be satisfied personally which will spill over to my job. In addition nobody has mad an effort at the company to reach out to me even though I have called and text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Read your own post.

Would you hire someone who is never happy and only wants the job because they can't find anything better?

I wouldn't.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubianqueen View Post
I am a 30 year old woman who has yet to find a state I enjoy living in . I am looking to stay in a vibrant city so I can achieve some of my goals which require networking. I have been abroad teaching History for the last four years and so far employers are not appreciating this time out of country.

Moving on I have an offer to teach in a rural area and as a black woman I am not excited. I was aiming for a bigger city but they seem to think I am a flight risk asking when will I head to my next adventure. I want to take this job because I need experience and simply cannot find anything better at the moment. On the other hand I want to leave the offer because I can assume I will not be satisfied personally which will spill over to my job. In addition nobody has mad an effort at the company to reach out to me even though I have called and text.

I don't think it's a wise decision to take a job that you don't like at all. It has to be something about the job that attracts you not just taking something because there are no better options at the moment.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
why do people apply to jobs they have no intentions of accepting?

you knew the area wasn't what you wanted, so why bother wasting time applying?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM

35 posts, read 35,921 times
Default No need for negativity

Because I can't get the better job unless I have the experience. It is one hour from a major city which I thought was ok. Others are unwilling to speak with me about the position is a red flag and about 2 months after accepting they tell me the start date is 1 month earlier than I expected. I thought most people know you have to crawl before you walk....or is that not the case anymore.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:08 PM

51 posts, read 40,575 times
Then I guess you'll need to start at the bottom at a job not preferable to you.
As you are employed a while, maybe 6 months, start looking elsewhere.
Good luck to you

Old 06-23-2017, 04:11 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
Quote:
Because I can't get the better job unless I have the experience. It is one hour from a major city which I thought was ok. Others are unwilling to speak with me about the position is a red flag and about 2 months after accepting they tell me the start date is 1 month earlier than I expected. I thought most people know you have to crawl before you walk....or is that not the case anymore.

I'm just saying to try have a couple of things you like about any job before you apply so you won't go to work everyday feeling miserable. I just think it's awful for someone to wake everyday and go to a job they absolutely hate which can definitely lead to depression. Now I hate the location my current job but I do like the actual job and the stability of the agency. It always has to be some good to balance out the bad when you make a decision to accept a job offer.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
I'm a little confused. Didn't the school year just end a few weeks ago (probably even less for teachers)? Isn't it normal to hire during the summer? Isn't it a little premature to assume all the summer hiring is done at this point when most schools don't even start until August and teachers don't start until July at the earliest?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
Quote:

i think you've answered your own question - if you need the experience and no one else will give you a chance; you NEED to take the rural job. It's not forever and once you have some experience it will be easier to find a job you like more - i would caution you to first find out how many related years of experience you will need to find a better job and make sure you're ok with whatever that is (1-2 years?). An hour away from a large city isn't bad (imo); a lot of people would commute that distance. Would it be feasible and possibly more enjoyable for you to live in the large city and commute to the rural town?
best of luck

Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
An hour away from a major city isn't actually THAT rural. If you can't get the jobs you really want because you don't have the experience desired, you'll just have to suck it up and make the best of a less than desirable situation. You might even find some things that aren't so bad about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment