Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 18,151 times

Advertisements

Hello There,

Hubby got a Government job offer. The pay range in the ad is $40K-$73K. They informed him during the in-person interview that the salary is not going to be discussed in that meeting. After the interview, they sent him an email informing him about the Job offer, and they mentioned the salary which is $40K. Hubby was surprised about their low-ball offer since he has more than a decade in this field, the Academic degrees and the certifications they are asking for. He replied to their email with a counter offer explaining why he thinks his worth is at $60K. It has been one week that he sent his email, but he has not received any feedback yet from them.

Since no feedback yet, hubby doesn’t know if this means a denial? Or if they are still studying his counter offer?

Is it time to follow-up with them? If so, is it better by email again? Or by phone?

He can lower to $55.

As per the benefits, they have same benefits for the whole county employees.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,799,670 times
I'd hazard a guess they dropped his email into the recycle bin and went with the next one who made the cut for interview

Old 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,557,387 times
Back from hiatus and I see same old thing... People apply to fed and not know the process.

First, there isn't any communication to stop " bias". Take this how you want, but no news is no news, not them deciding against you or not.

Second the pay range is too big, it spans two grades 7/9 or 9/11 for example. Maybe there is a promotion ladder or they are willing to hire someone at a lower level then train them up for the next grade.

3rd, negotiate the step not the salary, look up step negotiation on Google for info. Him having a decade might get him to a higher step but lower grade or a lower step at a higher grade.

The slow news could be anything, hr went on vacation or they are getting approval for new salary, etc. If nothing else the original offer still stands if he wants the job, unless he takes too long to accept and they move on and post job again

Edit, close to end of year, people are taking PTO to avoid the use or lose penalty... Expect things to move slowly until holidays are over. And new fiscal budget is out... This depends on Congress and not the agency unless they are budgeted for next year already

Last edited by MLSFan; 09-26-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,209,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Back from hiatus and I see same old thing... People apply to fed and not know the process.

First, there isn't any communication to stop " bias". Take this how you want, but no news is no news, not them deciding against you or not.

Second the pay range is too big, it spans two grades 7/9 or 9/11 for example. Maybe there is a promotion ladder or they are willing to hire someone at a lower level then train them up for the next grade.

3rd, negotiate the step not the salary, look up step negotiation on Google for info. Him having a decade might get him to a higher step but lower grade or a lower step at a higher grade.

The slow news could be anything, hr went on vacation or they are getting approval for new salary, etc. If nothing else the original offer still stands if he wants the job, unless he takes too long to accept and they move on and post job again

This is NOT a fed job.

OP- It is possible they are still considering and also need to clear the higher up for any significant ask (50%). I am a hiring manager and I have about 5% flexibility from what I offer. If somebody came back much higher, I would need to send it up. But at the end of the day they came back to me whether it is reasonable as I am the one who know what level of expertise I would need and market value. Also, what I offer is what I think is acceptable-not a difference of 50%. That's a big gap to fill. Something doesn't sound right with 50% difference between offer and counter. Also, starting at min is red flag to me. These are organizations that is not worth trying to get into. Once he is in he may stagnate like forever. I would look somewhere.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,557,387 times
Fed job or state job, many govt jobs mirror the fed system.

Local city and county have some flexibility since they control the tax revenue without going through a committee in the capitol

Old 09-26-2018, 02:00 PM

21 posts, read 18,151 times
Thank you all for your replies.

No, it is not a Federal job. It is for a "County".

One week now, is it time for a follow-up? ... better by email? or by a phone call?

Any advice what to say/ not to say?

Thanks again

Old 09-26-2018, 02:08 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,189,851 times
Advertising a job at 40-73k is just asking for trouble if you aren't willing to pay the higher range for a qualified candidate.

Most likely they offered the job to the next person on the list to see if they will take it at the lower salary.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:35 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,809,915 times
I say follow up with a call. And for the record, I would not have negotiated via email - no way.

I don't think they just moved on to the next person. They are just not nearly as motivated to get this done as the candidate.

He should follow up with a call and just say something like he was excited at the offer and just checking on status and next steps.

Best of luck.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:45 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
This is NOT a fed job.

OP- It is possible they are still considering and also need to clear the higher up for any significant ask (50%). I am a hiring manager and I have about 5% flexibility from what I offer. If somebody came back much higher, I would need to send it up. But at the end of the day they came back to me whether it is reasonable as I am the one who know what level of expertise I would need and market value. Also, what I offer is what I think is acceptable-not a difference of 50%. That's a big gap to fill. Something doesn't sound right with 50% difference between offer and counter. Also, starting at min is red flag to me. These are organizations that is not worth trying to get into. Once he is in he may stagnate like forever. I would look somewhere.
Given that it's county job, not Fed, some of this may not apply. But in general when I am hiring for the Fed, we offer at the starting level for that pay band. I might negotiate a little for someone really good. But I won't go to the mid or top of the band. That's not to say that other managers won't offer up to the top of the band, but in every one I've seen, it always turns out badly in the long run. Those manager come to regret it. The new hire doesn't perform up to the expectations for that salary level, yet keeps demanding more perks (you give in once, they expect you to keep giving in.)

So in general, no I don't negotiate.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,897,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Advertising a job at 40-73k is just asking for trouble if you aren't willing to pay the higher range for a qualified candidate.

Most likely they offered the job to the next person on the list to see if they will take it at the lower salary.
In the future if you see a government job with a 30k range immediately dismiss it. They don't have final budget approval for that range. The max range I've seen without requiring additional approval is 15k.

They got pre-auth for 40k and if he asked for 60k they are most definitely gonna have to go back and get the new amount approved. Given they threw out the low number odds are they can't get approved for more than 50 at best.

Good luck but now you know for the future don't waste time on those listings. For those who think Govt is easier here is scenario A classic case study on why it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment