U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 826,956 times

Advertisements

A major part of my job is the operation of a certain program. By express instruction of our most senior managers, only me and my team (literally 2 people) are allowed to use it.

Sometimes, another team decides to use this software. They have been told not to use it, but still do, and last week a major fail was caused directly due to their interference.

The moment it happened, I e-mailed this team and their managers a polite but stern reminder not to do so, including the formal corporate process. They responded by complaining.

Me and my manager are on excellent terms, but the complaint prompted them to informally investigate me. Except me and my co-worker have already tried this several times. We get heat anyway when these fails happen, so we can't win. And they continue to use the software.

It's not just me. I am routinely copied into angry internal E-mail exchanges (possibly with the assumption that can do anything) where managers are blaming other managers. The work is deadly high profile and avoiding peoples' frayed nerves is a minefield. There is a lot of politics and rough justice.

Given all this, let's say this is you. What would you say to the manager investigating you under these circumstances? Okay to send the E-mail? Not okay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 PM

27,042 posts, read 18,343,757 times
What exactly was in your "polite but stern" email message.

Sounds odd to me that they would complain and you be informally investigated for this one incident.

I have a suspicion the whole story is not being told here. Must have been more than just stern words exchanged at some point earlier, or something else happened or a series of things and this last email was the tipping point.

Edited to add: In looking at the OP's previous threads, I'm starting to get a clearer picture. OP seems to have issues with managers at his job, constantly getting in drama. There's also one thread where OP describes getting in an argument with roommates causing him to destroy property and be jailed for it. Like I said, I think we're not getting the complete story here with someone that seems to have issues with handling conflict and emotions. OP can complain all he wants about my opinion, but he put it out there

Old 09-29-2017, 03:27 PM

1,104 posts, read 826,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What exactly was in your "polite but stern" email message.

Sounds odd to me that they would complain and you be informally investigated for this one incident.

I have a suspicion the whole story is not being told here. Must have been more than just stern words exchanged at some point earlier, or something else happened or a series of things and this last email was the tipping point.
But that's really it. Unless you want the screenshot of the software use (which I won't give), you may be assured that no stern words were verbally exchanged. And agreed, the whole story isn't available. Definitely on your side there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Edited to add: In looking at the OP's previous threads, I'm starting to get a clearer picture. OP seems to have issues with managers at his job, constantly getting in drama.
Woah, ok.. didn't expect that. Well again me and my manager are on excellent terms, they are purely sympathetic and it would be easy just to say "yeah sure fine" and then that's that. But what gets me is that the problem is just going to persist. As above, you are right, something is going on that I don't get.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 PM

12,487 posts, read 11,653,117 times
If the software is not to be used outside your group, why do others have access? It sounds like the company is not if one mind on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment