Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,230 times

Advertisements

I am considering leaving my current company. I’ll do a compare and contrast but I wanted outside opinions in general based on the info below. I am 26 years old w/ 3 years of experience. I’m aware that it is ultimately about where I see my career going.

Current Job: Company - Large Financial Services firm (well-known/prestigious/100,000+ employees) Highly structured environment. Title - Analyst Salary - $70,000 Tenure - 2 yrs (would not be eligible for promotion for another 1-1.5 years; pay bump would be to around $80K Experience - Corporate Banking (excellent experience; complex transactional experience) Culture: Somewhat stuffy, but laid back for the company. Favoritism is prevalent. Hours - Generally 45-50 a week.

Potential Future Job: Company - Publicly-traded REIT (Not well known at all. Small company. Had low company earnings in the past but seem to be turning the corner. Less than 100 employees) Less structured. Title - Associate (in Credit/Investments group; would be a step-up/promotion) Salary - $85,000 a year Experience - Credit/Investments Culture: Seems laid back. Office has bean bags, full snack bar, etc. Beautiful office. Hours - Probably would be no more than 50 a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,992,533 times
What is your manager like in each role?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What is your manager like in each role?
Both managers are very laid back.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,737,171 times
I think when you are young/new to a career and don’t have kids to worry about, it’s a good bet to go with a smaller place where you can get more experience early on. With the unstructured job, it sounds like you could get your hands into more things and really learn more, while you’ll be stuck in one area in the current job.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think when you are young/new to a career and don’t have kids to worry about, it’s a good bet to go with a smaller place where you can get more experience early on. With the unstructured job, it sounds like you could get your hands into more things and really learn more, while you’ll be stuck in one area in the current job.
I agree. The main difference is more responsibilities at the new place.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,315,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree.
Take a chance on the new opportunity.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the insight!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:23 PM

609 posts, read 507,629 times
Go for it ... cause remember ... YOLO !!! Nothing replaces experience you gather along the way, good or bad. Regardless on how the new place turns out, make sure you take lessons from it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment