U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 07:49 AM

146 posts, read 81,403 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been unable to complete duties assigned by your management due to dependence on others? Have you been able to justify this with your manager and account for it in your performance review (if you have one)?

I work for a worldwide financial firm in a subdivision of their cyber security. Another team that is part of our department is access administration - things like creating your account to login when you arrive at work, or even remote access for conditions that warrant working from home, and access to all other applications within the firm (literally thousands of apps). This may seem cheesy but governmental regulations require these types of granular controls in an attempt to limit attacks on a firm (i. e. Equifax Apache security fail)

When I first started there were several requests submitted by my hiring manager to have all the access necessary to perform my duties provisioned and ready for my first day. Unfortunately it took roughly 6 months to get everything I needed and I've seen many factors affecting how our departments interact with each other:
  1. Team responsible for provisioning access canceled the request with no action taken. After re-opening the request and several emails / pings to the administrator, and eventually escalations, the access required is provisioned.
  2. Some infrastructure teams, that should really be doing daily IT checks and infrastructure upkeep, are required to be engaged due to some broken process that has never been successfully moved to the access administration team, so you now need something from them but also have to contend with their other prioritized tasks.
  3. Inter-departmental wars such as 1 department is causing unnecessary work for another and hence draining their resources so they're hesitant to give their needs any priority.
  4. The access was provisioned (i. e. Windows account) but there is some unidentifiable infrastructure issue causing it to fail. For example, a new firm member was provisioned but then his account kept locking. The access was unlocked only to have it immediately lock again. There were no logs indicating any automated / malicious activity so that was a difficult resolution.
  5. There is someone in the approval chain who is not familiar with the request so they're constantly questioning and fighting to avoid being part of the approval.

These are just a few examples, and again this is for an enterprise so may not apply to those in small offices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:17 PM

24,567 posts, read 36,841,481 times
Sounds exactly like my office. Even today I'm dealing with it. It's so aggravating.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:31 PM

12,864 posts, read 7,631,777 times
One of a manager's responsibilities is to help resolve such roadblocks reported by those under them. So as long as you were reporting that status it should not be held against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment