Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,538,948 times

Advertisements

I'm fine with "paying your dues" as long as you're not being asked to do menial tasks that you never even received any training for in college before you're even allowed to practice your profession.

Example, unacceptable:

You graduate with a BS in Computer Science with honors and at your first job, you have to work as the janitor for the first 3 months before you're even allowed to write a single line of code, even though you received 4 years of training to code and 0 training in janitorial work and you're a thousand times better at coding anyways.

Example, acceptable:

You graduate with a BS in Computer Science with honors and at your first job, you're working with a junior manager on his pet coding project as part of your training, and once you've completed that satisfactorily, you move on to more important projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 10:50 AM

7,988 posts, read 5,025,331 times
Yea.. I dont think anyone with a bachelors should be cleaning toilets. I would tell the company go to s*** themselves if this was the case. Truthfully, Im old school I don't think most anyone with a Bachelor's degree should be doing ANY job that only requires a GED or HS diploma. Its a damn waste of the company's time and the applicant's time. If you have managed to get a 4 year degree (with at least a 3.2 GPA or higher,) that tells me you have brains, can prioritize and have a good enough work ethic. . But thats the way of the world in most businesses today. A college graduate is stuck doing menial work, underemployment is rampant. its a waste of EVERYONE's time involved. The company isn't utilizing your potential to the fullest for you to be a better asset to them and the employee is wasting his/her time as well.

If you are college educated you should be working a white collar job, Pure and Simple. If not as stated above, everyone's time is being wasted. This was how things used to be. Before the nation and companies completely ran off a cliff to mediocrity and embarrassment. Back when America was great and everything was booming. . Companies knew what the hell they were doing. People were utilized.. Not UNDER-utilized.

Last edited by DorianRo; 11-15-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,232,023 times
A big part of paying your dues is learning humility, teamwork, and that all jobs are important enough to be done well. And also to take some of that college shine off you and if the boss says do X then you do X. The faster you learn the faster you get to the next stage.

You're often judged by how you treat the menial jobs and those who do them.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM

6,502 posts, read 9,893,785 times
The navy does that. When you go in junior enlisted and assigned to a ship you usually have to work on the mess decks cleaning and preparing the dining room for meals.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,360,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm fine with "paying your dues" as long as you're not being asked to do menial tasks that you never even received any training for in college before you're even allowed to practice your profession.

Example, unacceptable:

You graduate with a BS in Computer Science with honors and at your first job, you have to work as the janitor for the first 3 months before you're even allowed to write a single line of code, even though you received 4 years of training to code and 0 training in janitorial work and you're a thousand times better at coding anyways.

Example, acceptable:

You graduate with a BS in Computer Science with honors and at your first job, you're working with a junior manager on his pet coding project as part of your training, and once you've completed that satisfactorily, you move on to more important projects.
The first scenario sounds like an exercise designed to instill humility in new hires. I don't have a problem with it, I've known a few people who would have benefited greatly from a program like that.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,360,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yea.. I dont think anyone with a bachelors should be cleaning toilets. I would tell the company go to s*** themselves if this was the case. Truthfully, Im old school I don't think most anyone with a Bachelor's degree should be doing ANY job that only requires a GED or HS diploma. Its a damn waste of the company's time and the applicant's time. If you have managed to get a 4 year degree (with at least a 3.2 GPA or higher,) that tells me you have brains, can prioritize and have a good enough work ethic. . But thats the way of the world in most businesses today. A college graduate is stuck doing menial work, underemployment is rampant. its a waste of EVERYONE's time involved. The company isn't utilizing your potential to the fullest for you to be a better asset to them and the employee is wasting his/her time as well.

If you are college educated you should be working a white collar job, Pure and Simple. If not as stated above, everyone's time is being wasted. This was how things used to be. Before the nation and companies completely ran off a cliff to mediocrity and embarrassment. Back when America was great and everything was booming. . Companies knew what the hell they were doing. People were utilized.. Not UNDER-utilized.
So you don't think it's possible for someone to become disillusioned with his chosen field of study and voluntarily pursue work other than what he went to college for?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,287,221 times
Saying, "That's not my job..." because you think something is beneath you is the surest way to limit your success.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,759,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Saying, "That's not my job..." because you think something is beneath you is the surest way to limit your success.
I don’t disagree, but having a person do only job x when they were hired to do unrelated job Y just seems unnecessary. At my old job, most people would help out with janitorial tasks from time to time. I think it is helpful to know where the supplies are and whatnot to do them if needed, but to use them to have a person pay his dues as the only duty is a bit much. It is good to know how to do all tasks if a person is out or unavailable. However if you hire a person to do X and they are doing only unrelated task Y for 3+ months, they will probably move on.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,538,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Or you're completely unqualified for it. Turning our initial example upside down, there's nothing wrong with saying "it's not my job" if you're a high school dropout hired as a janitor and your boss, for some ludicrous reason, asks you to program a computer which you have 0 knowledge of.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,025,331 times
Trying to instill humility today is ultimately going to make that person quit. And you will have a constant revolving door of turnovers. That's not smart for any business outside of fast food or retailers. . This isn't the military and most people today are disillusioned with the private sector as is. . Let's see these newly hired executives go through the same thing shall we. So they will have to skip their morning 18 holes to clean toilets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment