Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Or think of it like this. A ship wrecked onto a deserted island. Fortunately there is enough food for everyone. Except it is decided that one person should get 90% of the food, more than he could ever eat and everyone else gets 1% not enough to sustain themselves. That is basically what is happening with capitalism right now.
It doesn’t work that way. In your example of everyone getting something to eat on a deserted island, it’s essentially communism - each contributes according to their ability and eats according to their needs (or availability). But it’s also a closed market.

Now, add in several more inhabited islands, institute trading and you’ll find that some do better than others. At some point, the person unwilling to do any labor will get a subsistence level of food, no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 AM

13,010 posts, read 18,994,816 times
My time is worth much more than that. If there is another depression, like there was 6-9 years ago and that's the highest pay available, I would retire. My pension would be more than than a job like that would be after taxes.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,321,853 times
Depending on the job I am performing, I am worth anywhere from $75-$150/hour (although I have billed for less). As a CPA who has been in practice since the 80's, I believe I've earned it, and yet, I am much cheaper than many other CPA's who will charge up to $300/hr.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 AM

7,240 posts, read 9,424,791 times
Don't confuse the worth of "you" to the results you're offering for the job.

"You" might be priceless, but your customer only cares about his own problem and you must deliver results. If you can deliver a value exceeding your wage and the customer agrees, you can win as much as you can.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,570,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
At minimum?

I'm curious.
If minimum wage was raised by $5 (which is about 50% what it is now), what about all those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions? They won't get a $7.50/hour raise. They will be making the same as those in positions that do not require special skills or education. Is this fair?
I'm very open to hearing differing opinions without getting into an argument.

What do you think YOU'RE worth?
I'd like this to be an open discussion with no attacks or party-blaming (dems/reps)

In the current economy at about $9-10 an hour as minimum wage, I'd say I'm probably worth $21 an hour.. With a specialized masters and a license to practice therapy. Second year out of school.
I mentioned this in another thread.

It's not about what you think you're "worth".

You get what you settle for.

If you can negotiate well, or collectively bargain you might be able to settle for MORE.

My minimum wage here in the Dallas area is $28 an hour.

My minimum wage in San Francisco is about $63 an hour.

I've settled for the $28 for a multitude of reasons.

If the demand for my labor and skill goes up, so to does my minimum wage, I negotiated a $4 raise over the summer because my supervisor needed me to be available. I did all the same work, and worked all the long hours, but I commanded a premium for my labor. Not because it was owed to me, but because that's what I was willing to do it for, otherwise I would have withheld my time from him.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Depending on the job I am performing, I am worth anywhere from $75-$150/hour (although I have billed for less). As a CPA who has been in practice since the 80's, I believe I've earned it, and yet, I am much cheaper than many other CPA's who will charge up to $300/hr.
Sounds like you're not charging nearly enough.

You could push your rates closer to their rates and reap the difference and still be competitively cheaper.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,439,197 times
if they decide that they need a $7 raise, then every working person also needs a $7 raise. All this does is increase the tax base for the government, forces more money in. Maybe this is why they are pushing for increase. not to help the poor, who gives a damn about them, but to increase tax base, every thing from income, to sales tax

labor union wages are tied to minimum wage, so if minimum wages goes up, so does every labor union wages too, more money for the union, more kick back to congress

Last edited by brownbagg; 11-25-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 AM

34,263 posts, read 17,336,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Every person is worth a living wage when it comes to a paycheck at the very minimum. Period. So when we tell low wage workers that their job doesn't entitle them to a living wage or whatever dollar amount we put on what constitutes a living wage, we're not telling those people that the job isn't that important. We're telling them that they, as people, as American citizens, aren't important.

Somebody is always going to have to make pizzas, stock shelves, and check us out when we buy something. Quit assuming they deserve to live in poverty simply because we - not they - don't value their jobs.
A Robot can do that.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:49 AM

I'm starting to wonder if we're seeing the contraction of a job based economy.

This really could change everything as we know it.

Regardless, the ability to learn and adapt will be paramount.

I've watched on my own jobs the need for manpower being reduced thanks to technology and new methods to perform the work. A wire pulling crew used to consist of a large number of men. Now we have machines that can do the bulk of the pulling and feeding of large cables, so you just need a handful of people to actually manage the machines.

The writing is on the wall, knowledge is where the money is.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,598,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
The writing is on the wall, knowledge is where the money is.
never has been, it is always about skill, and knowing how to do it

knowing theory is fine but only if you can act on it, otherwise its only good to sit around a fire and talk over it

sounds like people prefer to be think tanks but at the end of the day, they need to put it to action, and they cant so they look foolish if they cant back their words with action
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment