Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:54 AM

5,710 posts, read 5,987,423 times

Advertisements

I little while back, I told you guys about my boss, and he was diagnosed in the early stages of Alzheimer's. Since then, he has been handing over more of the duties to his son, who will eventually take over the business. Great guy to work for/with. 3 weeks ago, my little sister (adopted, this is important) had her little girl, and in all likelihood will be the only child she will ever get to have. Her husband, and the childs father, was killed in a car accident shortly after my sis found out she was pregnant. Since then, we all, my family, have been stepping up and helping her out.

The son had been out of town when my niece as born, and just got back Monday, but I hadnt seen him until yesterday. I was showing him some pics of my niece, and was telling him how she came very early, on a Friday morning, like 2am, and I was there and was pretty tired that Friday. I had only gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep. There was no way I was missing being there for this birth. He asked the usuall questions, how mom and baby were doing, such and such, and so on. Then he made a comment that has bugged me since. "You seem to have a special interest in this child. No way would I stay up until 2 in the morning for any child but mine." He said it in such a way that he was implying something, like maybe I was the childs father or something. Even one of the coworkers said something later about it. HE and I are having a meeting after lunch, would you mention it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,533,101 times
No, I wouldn't say anything. People who stick their foot in their mouth without thought as to other's feelings probably wouldn't care anyway even if you brought it up to them. The time to say something would have been immediately after his thoughtless comment - "She's my sister and recently lost her husband so yeah, I'm really trying to look out for her."

Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
The time to say something would have been immediately after his thoughtless comment - "She's my sister and recently lost her husband so yeah, I'm really trying to look out for her."
I wanted to, and yes I probably should have then, but I just bit my tongue and went on about my work.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,334,614 times
I think he was just saying that he would only stay up until 2 a.m. for his own child, not a sibling's child.

He wasn't inferring you had a kid with your adopted sister.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,020,804 times
You should forget it. You don't know what he was or was not implying - maybe it was just tough to come up with something to say under the circumstances and what came out wasn't the best. I absolutely hate when people show me baby pictures, and if there is a big family story behind it like yours it's even more awkward - I would have had no idea what to say and would have been hard-pressed to say the right thing. I would actually suggest that perhaps you put him in an awkward situation by showing the pictures at length in the first place.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,293,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl View Post
i think he was just saying that he would only stay up until 2 a.m. For his own child, not a sibling's child.

He wasn't inferring you had a kid with your adopted sister.
+1.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 AM

6,803 posts, read 5,695,636 times
i wouldn't say anything unless he brought it up again.....

Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,494,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
You should forget it. You don't know what he was or was not implying - maybe it was just tough to come up with something to say under the circumstances and what came out wasn't the best. I absolutely hate when people show me baby pictures, and if there is a big family story behind it like yours it's even more awkward - I would have had no idea what to say and would have been hard-pressed to say the right thing. I would actually suggest that perhaps you put him in an awkward situation by showing the pictures at length in the first place.
I think you're projecting your feelings. I would have absolutely no problem engaging a coworker about their child (but if the kid is funny-looking, my face might tell a story ), and I can't imagine most people having an issue. This seems like it would be one of the most neutral topics for the workplace. Babies and puppies.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,650,581 times
Take it exactly as he stated it: He would not stay up that late for a niece/nephew but only for his own child. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less. It's odd that your mind would go to some incestuous story (even though adopted). This thought would never had crossed my mind if you never mentioned it.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 AM

It wasnt what he said, its HOW he said it, so I dont see how its odd thats what I thought. As far as showing him pics, he asked what I had been up to, I assume just being nice, so I told him about my niece being born, and just showed him a pic ot two I had on my phone., but I di understand how that is sometimes. Im just going to drop it and this post and say thanks to those who dont already think Im some kind of pervert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment