Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 AM

6,471 posts, read 9,852,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Very informative. My company has very little HR in place. He's not being paid on his "sick" days because we don't have sick days, only PTO. And he's not using it. Others have to fill in for him which is a huge burden since our company is not that big. It sets us almost a whole day back.
Quote:
It does, but he doesn't have PTO yet since he was only hired a month ago.

Why would you leave that fact out when you were telling the story originally, that he was a new hire?

You are a manager with a new guy already doing this and you don't know how to handle it? you aren't ready to be a manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,768,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why would you leave that fact out when you were telling the story originally, that he was a new hire?

You are a manager with a new guy already doing this and you don't know how to handle it? you aren't ready to be a manager.
Yeah its definitely a no brainer since he is a new hire.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,834,809 times
At my last job, I had a woman who reported to me. She would pull the same thing, either sick on Monday or Friday or Thursday and Friday. Always called in at the last minute and many times when we were working on a deadline. We had a sit down and discussed it, told her we needed doctor's notes when she was sick, then suddenly it was a stomach virus that she didn't go to the doctor for. Then her grandmother died. Then her other grandmother died. Then she got a flat tire. Then her battery died. Then she got a ticket and had to go to court. Then the court date was extended. Then her dog died. Then she had migraines. None of these things required her to go to the doctor (or her migraine was too bad for her to drive, or the stomach virus was too bad for her to leave the house).

We were a very small company and the job she did required a very special type of person, someone who could work with minute details all day long. All of us were stretched tight duties-wise (I had three job titles/duties, as people left or were let go, we had to pick up the slack) and could not pick up her job, too.

We finally had to let her go, we had no choice. Either way her job was not getting done, but we were paying her to NOT do her job because she had PTO. Our web department created a program to basically do her job which only required a couple of hours a day from someone rather than a full-time person. We were able to split that work up among all of us.

It was a frustrating time as a supervisor (though I wasn't the one who made the call on what to do, that was up to HR and the COO). I had enough on my plate and didn't have the time or patience to deal with a highly unreliable employee.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,354,282 times
With that new information, he is a probationary release. There is no reason to tolerate this behavior from someone who should be on their best behavior. And he may be on his best behavior, which does not bode well. "You are not reliable and your absences consistently put us behind schedule, so we are letting you go. "

Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
I'm a supervisor at my place of work. I have a question for those of you who are supervisors. Do you always tell someone that has an appointment of some kind to bring a note in the next day? Reason I'm asking is because I generally don't. The company I work for doesn't really enforce it so I usually don't ask the people that report to me to bring in a note. BUT!!! Lately there's one guy that has been coming up with a new excuse almost every week for why he can't come in to work. And it just so happens that it is usually on Mondays. I really want to start asking him to bring in a note if he uses the doctor or dentist excuse. I feel like people would take offense to that because it shows that you are skeptical. How many SUPERVISORS here require some form of proof or a note from the people that report to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Yeah its definitely a no brainer since he is a new hire.
I tend to agree with these posters, but since the original story was vague and lacking in critical details, we may need some additional info.

1. How many weeks ago did he start?
2. How many Mondays was he sick?
3. Were these latenesses or absences, if late, how late?
4. Has anybody talked to him about attendance?

For a new employee, particularly young people who may be new to the job, you need to set expectations. You are evidently late in do8ng this, but you can still recover.

I am not one of those people who fires new employees if they are sick, and occasionally there are pre-existing obligations, like doctors appointments scheduled before hire. But you need to get a hand around this.

Sit down with your new hire and tell him that his attendance is a problem, so you want to set ground rules. Ask if there are eny current commitments that will prevent him from being at work every day; this will give him the opportunity to give you any existing doctor/dentist/court dates, and for you to be clear that he has to inform you of these things in advance.

Second, let him know that he cannot take leave w/o pay. Sickness, vacation, whatever, needs to be covered by PTO, and being absent without leave can lead to termination. He has already done this a few times, so he should be very careful about doing it again, as his next absence is likely to lead to termination.

Then, without telling him, let him have one more absence in the next couple of months. Things happen, people do get sick, and you are the one at fault for not addressing this earlier. If he is out once more, this will require another meeting. You don’t want to hear reasons or excuses, you don’t care about car accidents, illnesses, dead grandmothers or doctors notes. That one additional absence is the last one he gets.

Then follow through. If there is a second absence, let him know when and where he can pick up his final check, he is out of a job.

Documen5 all of this. Absences, illnesses, discussions, etc. a simple way of doing so is to send yourself an email with details as additional incidents arise.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,461,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I'm in that situation now and been home for two days because of a cold. I scheduled a doctor's appointment for tomorrow at 8am since it will be my third absence due to medical this week. The only thing I plan to give them is the print out of the appointment i had scheduled for 12/6/17 instead of the actual reason.
You can ask your doctor for a formal doctor's note. It states when you can come back to work. I don't want to see that you made an appointment; that doesn't mean anything to me, because you could have cancelled it.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,768,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You can ask your doctor for a formal doctor's note. It states when you can come back to work. I don't want to see that you made an appointment; that doesn't mean anything to me, because you could have cancelled it.
That's what they gave me this morning which stated I can return to work on 12/7/17.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:21 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,469,332 times
This isn't really an issue with going to the doctor - it's a significant attendance problem with a new employee.

If there is a prescheduled doctor's appointment with advance notice, most managers are going to be reasonably flexible with scheduling it. Calling in on Monday's for various reasons, particularly with no notice and a new employee, means the person is highly unreliable.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,938,318 times
Quote:
It does, but he doesn't have PTO yet since he was only hired a month ago.
That's HILARIOUS.

You never mentioned that in your original post.

In fact, you said he calls out on "Mondays".

So that's every week since the day he was hired.

You even said "Lately there's one guy that has been coming up with a new excuse ..."

Lately was an unfortunate choice of words if he's only worked there a month.

And you're worried HE'LL get offended?

Discuss it with the owner about firing him. DON'T get stuck owning HIM or the hiring/firing decisions.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,282,267 times
A month in? Yeah, fire him. Go to whoever was 2nd on the list of applicants and see if they are still available. If not, go ahead and repost the job. This is what he's choosing to do with his opportunity to make a good first impression as an employee. It's not going to get any better from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment