Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

How does one break into the translation/interpreting field? I'm really good with languages and I think this is something I can have a lot of success in. I just have no idea where to start. When I look for translation jobs seems like everyone wants two years experience already, what are some places that beginner translators usually go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 05:16 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Have you been tested to verify your skill level? Most employers want to know what level of discourse you are able to handle. If you can only interpret or translate basic conversations or straightforward articles such as newspapers or magazines, you will find you options limited. If you can translate or interpret for interactions at higher levels of discourse such as political debates, court proceedings, scientific conferences, specialized technical topics, etc., you will find more opportunities. For scientific and technical translation and interpreting, the interpreter/translator is often expected to have a certain level of expertise in the topic (for example, physics, chemistry, computer science, medicine and medical specialties, etc.) and to have extensive specialized vocabularies in those areas.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
I started by volunteering at a non-profit which helped immigrants. After that, I became well-known in the community and would get occasional requests for paying gigs. Now I am doing it just for pocket money even though an outfit is ready to have me work 20 hrs/week.

It also depends on the languages you are fluent in. French/Chinese/German have a lot translators already. But if you can speak Serbo-Croatian, Albanian, Burmese - you're golden.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
What the others said. Some languages don't pay well at all (French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.) whereas other rare ones have better pay.

It also depends on where (geographically) you are. I occasionally translate Polish and am paid fairly well to do it. Demand isn't high, but neither is the supply of people who speak or read Polish well enough to translate it. I also only do translations in one direction: Polish to English. The ability to accurately translate in both "directions" makes you more valuable. I CAN translate into Polish but my written Polish lacks a certain elegance...so I don't do it.

I've worked translating other languages, but I don't do those for money anymore because I don't need it and people can always find someone else to do it. I haven't done translation as a full-time gig in a long time. I only do it nowadays when someone really needs it. The advance of AI that can do fairly decent translations will someday make this gig largely obsolete.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What the others said. Some languages don't pay well at all (French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.) whereas other rare ones have better pay.

It also depends on where (geographically) you are. I occasionally translate Polish and am paid fairly well to do it. Demand isn't high, but neither is the supply of people who speak or read Polish well enough to translate it. I also only do translations in one direction: Polish to English. The ability to accurately translate in both "directions" makes you more valuable. I CAN translate into Polish but my written Polish lacks a certain elegance...so I don't do it.

I've worked translating other languages, but I don't do those for money anymore because I don't need it and people can always find someone else to do it. I haven't done translation as a full-time gig in a long time. I only do it nowadays when someone really needs it. The advance of AI that can do fairly decent translations will someday make this gig largely obsolete.
I agree, in fact I have used Google Translate frequently to help lost tourists in the summertime in Seattle.
The real need is for people at the factories in China to translate to English on their signs, packaging and instruction manuals.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
Old joke, but still funny:

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"

Translated: the vodka is good, but the ham is lousy

Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 AM

270 posts, read 210,469 times
I'm an interpreter from home and I love it! I got my job with some luck and by accident. I didn't even know there's a demand for my language. I was desperate for a job and I came across a post that required the language. I revived the resume saying I did interpreting for 2 years as a "freelancer"= for family lolz.

I can only speak and I learn mostly from watching movies. I applied, got the interview, and set up for verbal test..all over the phone. I was shocked that I got the job.

From then on, I got hired easily with many agencies when they know I have experience and I don't need to do any tests.

To get started is easy if you feel confident in yourself and can pass the test. I found my position on indeed.com. Just enter the language you speak in the title section and search.

I don't do translation because pay is little and time consuming. Beside, I'm illiterate lolz.

Currently, I'm with Cyracom, CLI, Global, and Stratus. All I do is log in, get the call, interpret the call, and wait for the next one. Sometime, they send me to onsite work such as court or Dr. Office.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
LOL. This reminds me of a toy I purchased years ago. It was a little electronic game in which you cared for a baby dinosaur or some animal and you needed to make sure you fed, cleaned, etc. on schedule. The instructions literally stated that if the animal “SH**” there was some action you needed to take... I never gave the toy to the child for whom it was intended...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment