Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 AM

477 posts, read 841,837 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Quick question on how to handle this situation. I just handed my resignation letter to my general manager because I am moving on to a new company. I will start at the new company on 4/23.
I have been with my current company for over 6 years and literally worked myself to the point where I am absolutely burned out. I have not taken a whole week off since I started here in Feb, 2012.
I really know that I would need a couple of weeks off between jobs to reset before I start at my new position. I understand that it is common practice to give two weeks notice when you leave though. I still have 3 weeks of vacation time left that I have not used.
If I stay for another two weeks, I would have no break and I would not be able to take time off at the new company for a while since I am just starting there. The new company needs me to start ASAP so I can’t ask them if they can wait two weeks after I finish here and I also don't want to leave a first bad impression.
I offered to finish up this week to leave no mess behind and be available by phone for the next two weeks if questions come up. I have everything pretty organized so I am not leaving behind any big problems. My general manager wants me to stay at least (!) two more weeks.
I understand that I could just walk out but that is not really my personality. Ironically, when people get fired, they don’t get a notice.
What I know is that I need time for my personal well-being. I am not lazy, I have pretty much worked for over 6 years straight without any real breaks. I just feel that I am burned out. I don't even care about the money. I would be ok with unpaid time off even though I technically have three weeks of vacation left. I understand that it is hard for the company but I put so much into this (and more) that I was hoping for something in return.

Do you have any suggestions how to handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,748 times
Can you give two weeks notice and use a week of PTO during your final week?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,082,984 times
how is it that you've worked for 6 years without taking any time off yet only have 3 weeks of vacation? I f it was a case of use it or lose it, you don't owe them 2 weeks of work.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
how is it that you've worked for 6 years without taking any time off yet only have 3 weeks of vacation? I f it was a case of use it or lose it, you don't owe them 2 weeks of work.
The only concern I would have is being marked ineligible for re-hire for not giving two weeks notice. I know that it's a petty reason, but managers are flawed human beings and can be very petty about these things.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,550,306 times
Don't burn the bridge on such a long term job. Give two weeks and see if you can end it on a week of PTO. If not, then so be it.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
As mentioned, I have never taken a whole week off at once. I always took a day or half day here and there on a Friday so not too much work would pile up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed
The only concern I would have is being marked ineligible for re-hire for not giving two weeks notice.
I would not want to work here anymore for various reasons. I am willing to give up a safe position and company car.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
The concept behind a two week notice is to give the employer time to make your departure relatively smooth. Depending on industry, that means closing out projects, transferring responsibilities, allowing the employer to release schedules without rewriting them, etc.

Telling your employer that you will be leaving in two weeks, but you will be taking some or all of that as vacation, is not a two week notice.

Although it isn’t your primary concern, there are a few things to be considered when discussing accrued vacation. Not all states require accrued vacation to be paid out, and most companies require some sort of notice/approval process for taking vacation. It is probably within your manager’s discretion to deny your vacation from now to 4/23, and if you simply stop showing up to work that would be viewed as job abandonment, not quitting. You may not care.

On the other hand, unless you are contractually obligated, your manager cannot make you stay, and the request for more than two weeks is a request, you can ignore it.

Because you are stressed, I would work until the end of next week, take a full week between positions, and accept the fact that your GM May give you a grumpy reference in the future as a result. Hopefully that will be many years from now and you won’t have to worry about it.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
As mentioned, I have never taken a whole week off at once. I always took a day or half day here and there on a Friday so not too much work would pile up.

I would not want to work here anymore for various reasons. I am willing to give up a safe position and company car.
That's not the point. If another company asks you if you are eligible for re-hire (which sometimes they do on applications), or calls the former employer for reference, and they find out that you're ineligible for re-hire because you didn't give two weeks, then it may put future job prospects in jeopardy. Do you really want to do that over getting only one week of time off?

Don't think about this in terms of short term satisfaction. Think in terms of long term strategy. If you can give your two weeks notice and take the last week off without repercussion, then that would be my recommendation. I'm not telling you this because I give a hoot about your employer, I'm telling you this to protect yourself for your own sake. I don't want you to have to deal with the stupidity of explaining to future companies why some petty former manager marked you as ineligible for re-hire because you didn't give two weeks notice.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Although it isn’t your primary concern, there are a few things to be considered when discussing accrued vacation. Not all states require accrued vacation to be paid out, and most companies require some sort of notice/approval process for taking vacation. It is probably within your manager’s discretion to deny your vacation from now to 4/23, and if you simply stop showing up to work that would be viewed as job abandonment, not quitting. You may not care.
As mentioned, I don't even care about paid vacation. I'd be ok with not getting paid for two weeks.

Quote:
On the other hand, unless you are contractually obligated, your manager cannot make you stay, and the request for more than two weeks is a request, you can ignore it.
That is true. I could just walk out. I am not obligated.

Quote:
Because you are stressed, I would work until the end of next week, take a full week between positions, and accept the fact that your GM May give you a grumpy reference in the future as a result. Hopefully that will be many years from now and you won’t have to worry about it.
If I am willing to risk a grumpy reference, I might as well leave now. I heard that most companies don't give bad references because they could get sued.

This is tough because I always (at least try) to do the right thing. But I also now what my body and mind are telling me.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
As mentioned, I don't even care about paid vacation. I'd be ok with not getting paid for two weeks.

That is true. I could just walk out. I am not obligated.

If I am willing to risk a grumpy reference, I might as well leave now. I heard that most companies don't give bad references because they could get sued.

This is tough because I always (at least try) to do the right thing. But I also now what my body and mind are telling me.
Look at it this way. In most cases where I've given two weeks notice, the final two weeks may as well have been a paid vacation at work. I was mostly checked out mentally and just provided the bare minimum in terms of transitioning responsibilities and getting work done. Most of the stress over thinking about long term commitment to the org had mostly dissipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment