Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 AM

268 posts, read 284,428 times

Advertisements

I previously made a thread about my job being behind on technology and how I was considering writing a letter to the CEO to express my concerns. Many of you suggested that I just talk to my supervisor, well I did and she emailed me that there is nothing to be done and says this is the way they have been doing their security measures since she started 10 years ago.

Firstly I am shocked that they have been doing this for over 10 years and not one person has questioned or throught to suggest a new system. Or maybe they have and were given the cold shoulder.

My supervisor advised me that she understands my frustrations but I basically need to deal with it because it is what it is. I guess I look weak because our whole department is like a bunch of robots who do this happily and never complain about the s-it systems. I really don't understand how someone can go into this job and be ok with how things are done.

Again, this is run by a billion dollar company, why won't anyone take a stand to make our job better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,127,381 times
Somebody, somewhere decided that there was no return on investment in upgrading your systems.

I worked at an F500 that was still using green screen technology to run their core operations. It was cumbersome and time consuming to do anything. Reports to access critical data simply did not exist, and their was no ability to create a custom report either. We simply did without. Everybody complained about it.

The CEO was pretty open about it. He viewed IT as a black hole to shovel money into, and felt that every dollar spent on upgrades was a dollar wasted. He simply didn’t care that people spent extra time keying in long command sequences simply to print anything.

In such an atmosphere, what can you do?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,798,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I previously made a thread about my job being behind on technology and how I was considering writing a letter to the CEO to express my concerns. Many of you suggested that I just talk to my supervisor, well I did and she emailed me that there is nothing to be done and says this is the way they have been doing their security measures since she started 10 years ago.

Firstly I am shocked that they have been doing this for over 10 years and not one person has questioned or throught to suggest a new system. Or maybe they have and were given the cold shoulder.

My supervisor advised me that she understands my frustrations but I basically need to deal with it because it is what it is. I guess I look weak because our whole department is like a bunch of robots who do this happily and never complain about the s-it systems. I really don't understand how someone can go into this job and be ok with how things are done.

Again, this is run by a billion dollar company, why won't anyone take a stand to make our job better?
If you like working there and are enjoying getting a paycheck, then stay quiet and follow the herd. You have already tried and got no where. No need to get fired over this. If you absolutely cannot stand this situation, then quit and get another job.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,857,112 times
Quote:

America is a corporation, it's ran and owned by corporations.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 AM

268 posts, read 284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
If you like working there and are enjoying getting a paycheck, then stay quiet and follow the herd. You have already tried and got no where. No need to get fired over this. If you absolutely cannot stand this situation, then quit and get another job.
It is unfortunate because I do like the people and the environment, but I'm not going to stay where it's most likely going to be another 10 years or even longer for a change to happen. I'm not banking on that. I just can't be a robot, it's not in me. I'm guessing things are the way they are because too many people stay quiet.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 AM

1,098 posts, read 594,223 times
My previous job was like this. A lot of the data processing was done using operating systems and software that were 15-20 years out of date. The difference was, the big boss was well aware of it and kept whining that changes were needed. What he failed to understand was, the company had been downsized so much that there was nobody left who had both the time and the ability to make the necessary changes. What needed to be done was a full-time job, and everyone there was already beyond overworked.

I left that job over a year ago, and my understanding is he's still pushing to have these changes made. It's been 5 years. Nobody's doing anything...

Old 12-18-2017, 09:03 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,600,724 times
Quote:
It is unfortunate because I do like the people and the environment, but I'm not going to stay where it's most likely going to be another 10 years or even longer for a change to happen. I'm not banking on that. I just can't be a robot, it's not in me. I'm guessing things are the way they are because too many people stay quiet.
what makes you think your coworkers aren't that way because of the old system? if you like them, maybe their personality is what lets them tolerate using the old system so they are the ones who stay around

keep job hopping in search of the greener pasture, eventually you realize that green is green

no place is perfect, you pick the issues you want to deal with. if computer system isn't yours, then maybe you like a bad boss with a modern system?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,419,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Somebody, somewhere decided that there was no return on investment in upgrading your systems.

I worked at an F500 that was still using green screen technology to run their core operations. It was cumbersome and time consuming to do anything. Reports to access critical data simply did not exist, and their was no ability to create a custom report either. We simply did without. Everybody complained about it.

The CEO was pretty open about it. He viewed IT as a black hole to shovel money into, and felt that every dollar spent on upgrades was a dollar wasted. He simply didn’t care that people spent extra time keying in long command sequences simply to print anything.

In such an atmosphere, what can you do?
Sounds so similar to a former employer of mine, but in the Fortune 200. Operations were run by mainframes. They spent a couple billion dollars implementing an ERP system designed to ultimately replace the mainframe. Over ten years later and the project is still going on that I know of and the mainframes are still chugging along running things. Much difficulty getting Oracle to interface to the mainframes. Doesn't sound like they will be replaced anytime soon.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,433,598 times
"If its not broke why fix it?"

Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,235,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
"If its not broke why fix it?"
Because in many cases it is "broke." And badly. There is a bias against major changes which is what is needed as well as it's easy to measure the cost of a new system but no one is measuring the lost productivity hours to do an good cost benefit. Too many managers see only cost and no benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment