Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 AM

189 posts, read 172,323 times

Advertisements

Maybe I’m old school (I’m 43) but hours at our company for most people are 8 to 5. I’m usually at my desk by 7:45. Already got my coffee and water etc....coworkers filter in around 8:15. Then go down to cafeteria to get coffee and or breakfast. Maybe talk for a bit and still leave at 5. It’s not my business obviously since I’m not the supervisor but I just wonder if you have noticed these changes in recent years? When I was in my 20’s I was usually on time as were all my coworkers and if we weren’t we stayed later to make it up (regardless if we were salary or hourly) and in some companies there were penalties for being late. It just seems like people feel more entitled now? I’m not sure. Our dept is extremely busy and most people complain how they are so behind. Well if they are late, spending so much time socializing, what do they expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Are you sure they have the same hours as you? The people I manage start anywhere from 7am to 10am, and have the option of an hour lunch or 1/2 hour and leave 1/2 hour earlier. Each has a schedule approved by me, in some cases not what they wanted since I have to maintain coverage from at least 8-4:30. I have not seen a problem with tardiness. I do wander around checking at the various times to see if people are here. On that rare case where someone is late will ask them if they are going to stay late to make it up or use PTO. A certain amount of "visiting" and breaks are normal, but if abused regularly the supervisor is not doing their job. It's not your business but I would make sure that your punctuality is documented somehow, such as by responding to some emails as soon as you get in. When eventually the stuff hits the fan you don't want to be taken down by the others, and eventually someone of greater authority is going to notice what's going on.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
This was a big problem at my last company. Hours were 8-430 and we would usually have work at our desk at or before 8. We had a 5 minute grace period to clock in. People would clock in at 8:04, then go put up their lunch. Drink a coffee and socialize. Go to the bathroom. Come in the lab at 8:15. Socialize some more. Start actually doing work at 8:30 or later...all the while complaining about how much work we have and how it's going to take all day. Take extended breaks. Spend 15 minutes in the bathroom. Etc. So glad I got out of there. Totally toxic environment.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
IF you get your Job done and on time and meet the deadlines and are competent, I don't see why anyone should ever give a crap if you're "on time" and clocked in and in your seat like a some kindergarten student when the bell rings. . Its just more games on the employers to denigrate their employees to children or less than human . Its a sick corporate game.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-15-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
I don't know what time people clock in or if they called and said they'd be late or what the circumstance may be because I'm not in the position to know that.

I guess that extra 15 mins at your desk gives you time to people watch.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:31 AM

189 posts, read 172,323 times
Wow. They DON’T get there jobs done. Some are a month behind on things. People watch? Lol I sit right next to these people I can’t help but notice when it’s completely quiet on my side of he office. Yes all hours in my dept are 8 to 5

Old 12-15-2017, 08:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I would only really care if their work impacts me in some way, shape or form. If I am being asked to do something that they should be doing, if I cannot progress because of a delay caused by them, if we are "sharing" work but somehow, I am doing 75% and they are doing 25%, then yes, it would bother me.

If it is a "problem" and people cannot finish work because they are slacking, that's on your boss.

At my job, non-management clocks in and out so there is a record and anything after seven minutes is officially late. After fifteen minutes, you are docked. We also share work and our turnaround time is measured 24/7 so most people cannot dillydally. (And yes, in that case I would be annoyed if people took breaks all of the time because there is no yours and mine it is OUR work at my job. It's all shared.)

Old 12-15-2017, 08:35 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
We have "core hours" where everyone has to be here but otherwise free to flex around that. It does bother some of the old school employees who can only think in terms of specific start and stop times but hasn't really impacted productivity.

Also many in the younger generation think in terms of work accomplished rather than hours worked. And it doesn't matter to them when or where they do the work. They're just as happy signing on from home or a hotspot as from their desk.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
I worry about being on time if I have a meeting or a deadline. Otherwise, I don't view it as a problem any more than people who expect me to answer work email after hours view that as a problem.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Personally, I show an hour early to check the schedule and plan my day. We have one guy that for 40+years is half hour to an hour late everyday. Then there are those who show up late, jump in thier company vehicles, perform a one hour work order, then travel to other buildings to grab a bite, or take a nap, then at the end of the day, park the company vehicle and go home.......no time clock to punch, and if there was, they'd find someone to clock them in and out......all on the taxpayer $$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment