Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,790,540 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who kind of hovers as my boss. He manages our group but isn't my direct boss. He's been really good to me, making sure I have a mentor at work and ask about my well-being. We get along so well that I may have gotten a bit too comfortable. He says that I'm always super sarcastic around him. Like if I try and say something nice to him, he thinks it doesn't sound genuine. For example, he brought something I didn't notice to my attention, and I exclaimed, oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I don't know what I'd do without you. And he says my tone sounds sarcastic. I said "sorry" and he says "even your apology sounds insincere". I wasn't being insincere so I said I don't know what to do or say then.

I think I just got comfortable and my tone tends to sound more playful around him than with others. Otherwise I sound super serious, which I don't enjoy so much. But the funny thing is, he has said the above a couple of times, implying he is upset, but he doesn't sound upset. So I also can't tell if he means it or not. I think he does mean it to a degree, but I actually feel pretty bad when he calls me sarcastic. Any tips? Should I distance him and put him back in the serious zone with everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,815,285 times
just keep it professional

Old 12-13-2017, 12:35 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,139,031 times
He could be trying to tell you something important about speech in a professional setting. He may be telling you that you tone and choice of words comes across as sarcastic not to him personally but in how you appear to others. I work with someone like that. Her tone of voice comes across as smart aleck and sarcastic but she insists she is totally sincere. So much so that others now consider her statements of sincerity as themselves insincere. Maybe it's an unconscious mannerism similar to upspeak?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,572,756 times
Sounds like upspeak from language choice...
https://www.npr.org/2015/07/23/42560...-womens-voices
Npr had a show about this

You don't have to say omg, thanks/etc when he showed you the error. Say you'll fix it and make sure you are careful next time. Thanking him doesn't fix the issue or prevent it again.

You could thank him after it is fixed and he probably wouldn't mind

Old 12-14-2017, 09:00 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,168,749 times
just realize, you are there to work, get paid, and go home. some people cant deal with the extra. all the extra just makes you look goofy. treat your co workers as co workers, that are not looking for friends.

sometimes the dry is desired. a simple response goes a long way. I had to endure 6 months, working along side HR professionals, that were on the bubbly/sparkly P.C. personality all day long. It was tricky deciphering what was a real genuine answer, or what was a smart ass response, with a smile. It was as if they were on some sort of "happy pills", with a painted on smile!

Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,813,811 times
For example, he brought something I didn't notice to my attention, and I exclaimed, oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I don't know what I'd do without you.

The "I don't know what I'd do without you" is seemingly excessive and somewhat sarcastic to me. I'd have simply said "Thanks for catching my error"

Less is more....

Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,652,461 times
Sounds to me as though he doesn't consider your relationship as "chummy" as you do. Maybe he's one of those up-beat personality types who come off as really friendly, but are not genuinely being friendly. They're just up-beat and sunshiny, and he may not realize that being that way lulls you into feeling more relaxed and friendly with him than he intended.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,085,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I have a co-worker who kind of hovers as my boss. He manages our group but isn't my direct boss. He's been really good to me, making sure I have a mentor at work and ask about my well-being. We get along so well that I may have gotten a bit too comfortable. He says that I'm always super sarcastic around him. Like if I try and say something nice to him, he thinks it doesn't sound genuine. For example, he brought something I didn't notice to my attention, and I exclaimed, oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I don't know what I'd do without you. And he says my tone sounds sarcastic. I said "sorry" and he says "even your apology sounds insincere". I wasn't being insincere so I said I don't know what to do or say then.

I think I just got comfortable and my tone tends to sound more playful around him than with others. Otherwise I sound super serious, which I don't enjoy so much. But the funny thing is, he has said the above a couple of times, implying he is upset, but he doesn't sound upset. So I also can't tell if he means it or not. I think he does mean it to a degree, but I actually feel pretty bad when he calls me sarcastic. Any tips? Should I distance him and put him back in the serious zone with everyone else?
Your, "Oh, my gosh!", statement came off as condescending and patronizing. That wasn't your intention, but that's how he perceived it. It's not always what you "say", it's what they "hear".

The "I don't know what I'd do without you" part was a bit much....again, not your intention, but you basically said, "Thanks for pointing out my mistakes, Dumbass!"

Tips? Stop talking to him like he's your friend or family member...keep it professional at all times. When he points something out you missed; a simple, "Thank you", is all you need. No gushing, no over the top exclamations...just, "Thank you" with a smile.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,541,313 times
I wouldn’t worry to much. People in the workplace can get irate about just about anything. I had an employee tell me she was considering filing a grievance against me because she did not agree with her performance appraisal. I told her if she wanted to do that it was within her rights. She then replied, “or you could just change it”. I replied, “ nope, I gave you what I believe is a fair appraisal. If you want to grieve it go ahead. I get paid the same whether I’m responding to your grievance or completing other work”. She was furious with my response.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:16 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,290,915 times
Hmmm,

I never knew 'Oh my gosh!' was patronizing. A little silly at work yes, but I would not call it patronizing.

And if it is indeed, "What they hear", why is the onus on the speaker and not the recipient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment