Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times

Advertisements

I have searched and tried different websites that look free , but after you fill out with their templates you cannot download them for free . Can anyone recommend a legit , free resume builder websites? I had one of those free critiques from Top Resume and I obviously need a lot of work to get more attention from employers since , going by what I read , 93 percent of employers use an automated system to go through resumes. Mine apparently did not make the cut to stand out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
no

Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Why do people need to pay a resume builder website anyway? All you need is MS word to create a resume.

I used a resume builder once a very long time ago. Instead of paying to download the content, I copied the HTML source and paste it in a code editor to create a replica of it as a webpage. Not sure if that trick will still work though.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:29 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
When my resume was reviewed, It said my resume didn't stand out to employers. It had too many words that were used as I was making statements instead of selling the employer on my skills such as Managed , tasks, used , Assisted, I , completed . I didn't have any percentages or related sales goals in my resume . I have never had any job where I had to meet a profit margin or sales goals. It wanted $150 for the cheapest option for a professional to re write my resume .

Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 PM

118 posts, read 107,144 times
Get a resume book from the library. Just adopt your resume to a model you like, i.e. switch out your accomplishments/ duties for yours. Google docs has resume templates you can use to organize your resume.

A key is a cover letter that matches the job description your are applying for; I have used the same letter/resume for years and simply updated it.

If you attended university, check with career services they may be able to offer resume help.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Google. Search for sample resumes for xxx profession.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Keep the format simple, it's the text that counts.
Best thing is to determine if your resume fits best into a chronological or functional formats.

Maki has a great point, include a good cover letter for any professional position.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:50 AM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
Try your public library for starters - talk to your librarians and ask for help. In NYC, the public library and the Dept of Labor both offer free workshops for resume building (as well as interview help, cover letters etc). I thought I knew everything, but I have to say that I learned a lot from them and after following a combination of all the advice I got, I had many interviews and ultimately a great job offer.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
When my resume was reviewed, It said my resume didn't stand out to employers. It had too many words that were used as I was making statements instead of selling the employer on my skills such as Managed , tasks, used , Assisted, I , completed . I didn't have any percentages or related sales goals in my resume . I have never had any job where I had to meet a profit margin or sales goals. It wanted $150 for the cheapest option for a professional to re write my resume .
It looks like the feedback was about content not resume formatting. Paying for resume templates do not make sense. You can just google for resumes. Here is the google search that I did just for resumes. Don't go overboard with fancy formats, e.g. graphics, multiple columns, colors, etc. Those resumes do not get imported correctly into Taleo or other applicant tracking sites. You are forced to fix all the imported data anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=resu...w=1920&bih=950

Look for meetups and events for networking and career advancement. You can get feedback for free. You should be attending weekly. They can help you more in a few hours than a thread here.

I had my resume reviewed for free at a charity group. I went from zero results to a call every week.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 AM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
To be honest, it sounds like they were feeding you non-sense so they can make a sale.

Each resume should be tailored to the job you are applying. There is no '1 resume fit it all.' So, it would be silly to pay 150 a resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment