Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suits your lifestyle best?
Live less than 10 minutes from work, but 20+ minutes from your social scene 13 41.94%
Split it down the middle and live an intermediate distance from work AND from your social scene 10 32.26%
Take a reasonably long commute to work, but live down the street from your social scene 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:22 PM

144 posts, read 129,880 times

Advertisements

For the past several years, I lived less than five minutes from work. No matter the hours or the weather, I never had a problem arriving to the office on time while my friends struggled to drive through the snow and ice. However, I was almost always 20-25 minutes away from any social activities since the trendy bars and restaurants were a couple of towns over. If I wanted to grab drinks with friends, I either needed to Uber $20 each way, or drink minimally to avoid the risk of a DUI while they could walk to the bars or take a very short Uber ride.

I am now on the move for a new job and, due to the layout of the city I am moving to, face this dilemma once again. I made a poll because I wanted to see how people prioritize both factors. Feel free to elaborate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,625,260 times
I say it depends on the hours you spend at work. If you are normally working 10-12 hour days then you should probably plan on living close to your job.

However, if you work a standard 8 hour work day, then by all means find a place downtown or where you like to hangout and deal with the commute.

I did a 60 minute commute each way for close to four years just so that I could live near the action. It was well worth it.

Life is is short. If your single and looking to mingle....live close to the action and figure out a way to make the commute to and from your job work for you.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
It would absolutely depend on the job. Best job I ever had was 10 minutes away in a car (seven if I was lucky). But I loved that job. I would not want to live close to a job I hated no matter how quick the commute was. I don't care so much about being near the action, because I'm not a "nightlife" kinda gal.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 AM

12,880 posts, read 9,104,887 times
Given the constraints of the problem, I put short commute. But reality is most people will have a lot more factors going into the equation. Cost being the biggest. Cost may not determine where you can live, but it determines where you can't. Then things like crime, shopping, schools all start to come into play. If you're talking about buying a house for example, even if you don't have kids, houses in good school districts resale better than ones in poor districts.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
I gave chosen to live in an area I like over convenience to work. I have briefly considered moving to be closer to work, but by that time it seems within a few weeks of taking up that thought exercise I have hanged jobs.

And most of the places I have worked I don’t really like the location all that much. It would be a compromise over where I currently live.

For me social > work. But there are jobs locations I won’t consider because the commute is too terrible. And it likely impacted my career options.

That being said, I am super excited to be starting a new job in a couple of weeks that is really close to home- walking distance. That was the dream and it finally worked out.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
A question I am currently struggling with. When we moved here - I still had a son in high school who didn't drive so he needed to be able to walk to school. I needed to be able to drive him to swim practice in the afternoons . . and I couldn't afford for that to take very long. So we moved to the burbs where it was convenient for him and only 7 minutes from work for me.

He's now living in Chicago and quite far away. I'm still in the burbs 7 minutes away from my job - which is mighty convenient. I have two dogs and I can come home at lunch to let them out AND I work from home two days a week.

But - I love going into the city to eat and shop and there is a particular neighborhood I've fallen in love with. But it would be a much smaller house and perhaps an hour commute during rush hour (any other time it would be maybe 20-25 minutes).

I hate a long commute but I'm also tired of the burbs and want to downsize. Not sure what I will do.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:27 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
I do both.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:53 AM

17,629 posts, read 13,420,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
For the past several years, I lived less than five minutes from work. No matter the hours or the weather, I never had a problem arriving to the office on time while my friends struggled to drive through the snow and ice. However, I was almost always 20-25 minutes away from any social activities since the trendy bars and restaurants were a couple of towns over. If I wanted to grab drinks with friends, I either needed to Uber $20 each way, or drink minimally to avoid the risk of a DUI while they could walk to the bars or take a very short Uber ride.

I am now on the move for a new job and, due to the layout of the city I am moving to, face this dilemma once again. I made a poll because I wanted to see how people prioritize both factors. Feel free to elaborate!
Wow! Work or where to get a buzz!

WOW!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:28 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,163 times
our home is six miles from downtown where we go for shows, dining. I would prefer to live downtown but husband wants to own a home and won't buy a condo downtown.

If I outlive him I will sell and move downtown.

Drive isn't too terrible. 20 minutes tops to downtown and I'm now retired so work isn't a factor.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:53 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,906,528 times
I commute 40 miles to work each way. There is no direct way there so it's an hour each way assuming that weather conditions are okay and that there isn't an accident on the road.

I moved to my home location because of the good school district. My daughter will be finished with high school in June 2018 but I have no plans to move closer to my workplace. My location is right next to the freeway, about 15 minutes from Erie, and about 20 minutes from a smaller city in the area. There's really nothing in the area where I work and the crime rate is quite high.

Even if the crime rate was not high there, it's still too far off the main drag for me to want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment