Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,594,121 times

Advertisements

Yes. We had a work from home policy at a previous company that one person abused. She was really stupid because she would do things during the day like decorate her entire house for Christmas and post it on Facebook with a “look what I did on my work form home day.” And post it at 4 pm when it was really obvious that meant she hadn’t been working her assigned times. Plus she had half the office including multiple managers as friends. After that some managers took away wfh entirely and others forced you to start tracking time on a time card while working from home. We’re salaries and it’s often hard to quantify exactly what you’re doing due to the nature of the job and constant interruptions even when home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:33 AM

414 posts, read 361,019 times
My husband’s employer used to have unlimited vacation days, but a few employees went back to their home countries for weeks at a time twice a year so that ended. However, I’m not a huge fan of the unlimited policy since employers don’t have to pay out of unused vacation time upon leaving the organization. Also it can make it easier for management to shoot down vacation requests during busy times.

A previous employer of mine had a very patchwork WFH policy - it was pretty much set by the department lead. It was fairly liberal in my department, but apparently a group of people who I didn’t know and worked in another part of the country were caught going to the movies together while “working from home”. After that everyone was only allowed two WFH days a month unless management granted special permission. I rarely worked from home at that job since I had an easy commute to the office but my colleagues with long commutes who took advantage of working from home more often were very upset.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:17 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,912,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Probably the most common cause of this is "casual Friday". The vast majority come to work on casual days in neat jeans, polo shirts, etc., but there are always a few who have to push the envelope. Ripped, faded jeans, t-shirts with offensive graphics, athletic shorts, skimpy tops. It's usually the ones that management are "afraid" of who are the biggest offenders. So, rather than confront the offender, everybody gets punished by casual Friday being abolished.

It's the old 20/80 rule: 20% of the workforce cause 80% of the problems.
We have a pretty casual dress code for our office people anyhow--they can wear polo shirt or whatever with khakis every day. On Fridays we do have the "casual Friday" with jeans and t-shirts if they want.

We did have a couple of office employees who pushed it by wearing flip-flops and holey jeans but I addressed it separately with them. I'm certainly not going to abolish a popular policy that 99% of the employees in the office seem to have no problem following (and enjoy) just because 2 people couldn't seem to comply with it. The 2 violators stopped with the holey jeans and flip flops after I talked with them, so issue solved.

I don't go out of my way to be an a$$ manager but I just prefer to professionally deal with individual offenders first. Most people straighten up when they are talked with respectfully.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM

415 posts, read 616,912 times
The place I work at didn't have a dress code when I started. One of the women in the office doesn't know how to dress herself and would wear ill-fitting clothes, shorts with socks with doilies on them, flip flops that smelled, etc. My boss got tired of being grossed out, and the employee, by her own admission, was talked to by the boss and still didn't want to reform her ways, so one day my boss decided that there will be no flip flops and no shorts in the office.

Years before I worked for the company an employee was doing all sorts of stuff on the internet that she wasn't supposed to be doing, including shopping and visiting adult websites and planning a wedding. So now my boss monitors all internet traffic.

And this same company had to create an abandonment of job policy after an employee ghosted them...showed up for a week and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment