Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 AM

199 posts, read 166,389 times

Advertisements

Apparently, he had some productivity issues and our boss set up a little hidden camera behind his desk where he couldn't see it.

He was called into our boss's office and was shown a video of him playing with his phone instead of working. According to our boss, he was spending hours messing with his phone each day and when he heard someone walking towards him, he would hide it.

I did hear my boss call him a lazy bum, which he is. That's a tough learning experience though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,798,297 times
He shouldn't have been playing on his cell phone. Sorry, not a lesson you should learn on the job.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
He shouldn't have been playing on his cell phone. Sorry, not a lesson you should learn on the job.
True. Imagine if you have boarded a flight that is scheduled to take off at 10:00 a.m. You see the captain sitting in one of the seats, playing with his cell phone. At 10:30 a.m., half an hour late, he goes into the cockpit and announces on the loudspeaker "Sorry for the delay, everyone. I was busy playing Tetris. We should be able to take off soon."

Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Apparently, he had some productivity issues and our boss set up a little hidden camera behind his desk where he couldn't see it.

He was called into our boss's office and was shown a video of him playing with his phone instead of working. According to our boss, he was spending hours messing with his phone each day and when he heard someone walking towards him, he would hide it.

I did hear my boss call him a lazy bum, which he is. That's a tough learning experience though.
Your boss would hate our office. People are always playing on their phones. We have a contractor who is being paid well north of $100/hr who spends most of his day playing with his phone or surfing the internet...and when he's not doing that, he's trying to engage others in conversation about how to seduce "hot chicks." (I'm female and he doesn't talk to me that way, but he does sometimes do it with other women in the office.)

No joke.

I never say anything about it because I'm not his boss and he does do the work assigned to him. Clearly he is not being assigned enough work to keep him busy (or we don't need him).

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Your boss would hate our office. People are always playing on their phones. We have a contractor who is being paid well north of $100/hr who spends most of his day playing with his phone or surfing the internet...and when he's not doing that, he's trying to engage others in conversation about how to seduce "hot chicks." (I'm female and he doesn't talk to me that way, but he does sometimes do it with other women in the office.)

No joke.

I never say anything about it because I'm not his boss and he does do the work assigned to him. Clearly he is not being assigned enough work to keep him busy (or we don't need him).
That sounds like a poorly managed organization. I am busy from the time I show up in the morning until I leave in the afternoon. If I weren't, I would become seriously concerned about job security.

Getting paid $100/hr. to do nothing? Someone will wise up and give him the boot. Hopefully he's saving his money in the meantime.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
That sounds like a poorly managed organization. I am busy from the time I show up in the morning until I leave in the afternoon. If I weren't, I would become seriously concerned about job security.

Getting paid $100/hr. to do nothing? Someone will wise up and give him the boot. Hopefully he's saving his money in the meantime.
I don't really care if he has anything else lined up, I don't like him very much. He's a jerk.

Yes, this organization is very poorly-managed. Now that it's January, the job hunt is on FULL BLAST. It's only January 12th and we have several people already working out their notices.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,454,005 times
My wife's place of work got so bad that the manager/boss had to enact a "no phones in the office" policy. There's some downtime every day, but people were leaving all the work till the last second possible and Sometimes not getting it done. So now they all get to sit and twiddle thumbs (my wife takes a book).

I expect the next thing to be cracked down on is use of business phones for personal calls.... seems like the problem people have simply switched their platform... would be better if they were fired so people who Wanted to work could have those jobs.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,125,375 times
Quote:

Is covert surveillance in an office environment legal?

It's one thing having visible CCTV cameras in a room but quite another having unannounced hidden cameras spying on staff.

What other hidden cameras does this boss have? Ones that can peek up women's skirts or down blouses?

I think the fired guy should get some advise from his lawyer or union

Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,472,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Is covert surveillance in an office environment legal?

It's one thing having visible CCTV cameras in a room but quite another having unannounced hidden cameras spying on staff.

What other hidden cameras does this boss have? Ones that can peek up women's skirts or down blouses?

I think the fired guy should get some advise from his lawyer or union
Totally legal. It's only illegal in areas such as bathrooms and locker rooms.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,224,308 times
Never happen at my office. Mgmt is the biggest offenders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment