Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this will shock many of you but Managers as a whole are limp dicked feckless individuals who care more about covering their ass than taking care of their people.

The DBA group sits about 3 rows from us. Yesterday morning we heard an argument then the tussle of chairs and finally a few thuds. We look over and one guy is bleeding from his nose and another is being held back from finishing the job. I leap over and yell since their manager was on another floor as to what the hell is going on and sent each one to a separate conference room and called their manager to come down. I stayed with the guy who did the punching and got the story from his side.

So apparently about 6 months ago the guy who got hit (the punchee) was busted for having a personal laptop on the network right before he was going on a business trip so the manager forced the puncher to give up his own for the trip. Now normally plugging in a personal laptop exposing the network to outside hardware would be a fireable offense but his manager thinks he's god and got around the punishment. Even got his VP to approve a 3500 mac laptop which he got 4 months ago. Needless to say he wasn't very popular in his own group after that. The problem is ever since then he has been holding onto the puncher's laptop claiming he has files on it he has to remove. For 4 months...... The sackless wonder of a manager never did anything more but ask him periodically to get it back which he never did.

So last night the puncher has a power outage on his street and he's on call so he had to turn around and drive back into work to be near a working company computer until 9pm that night. When he got in this morning he demanded his manager make the punchee give back his latop. The manager told him that the punchee said late yesterday it wasn't a priority for him and this was after he knew the puncher was having to drive back to work. Apparently that did it this morning when the manager told the puncher the story and the puncher confronted the punchee about his comments when he got in. And when the punchee said he wasn't sorry and had more important things to do he got his nose rearranged.

So now myself, the dickless manager and another manager have to decide the fate of this employee by a manager panel.

We have 3 choices. One, suspension with pay, suspension without pay and termination. Guess where I'm leaning.

Still have to hear the other side but holy **** if this is true I dont see how he lasted this long and I know his manager and the dude is a prick and a coward.

Bob has suggested they fight to the death in a Thunderdome built from cubes but that isn't allowed.

Keep you posted on this latest discovery.

Cliffs:

Fight today
Punchee holding onto Punchers laptop for 4 months.
Puncher is on call and power out at his house so has to get back to office to work until 9 last night.
Punchee wont give it back said it wasn't a priority.
Punchee gets Punched.
3 elders decide his fate. I'm one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM

709 posts, read 656,632 times
I'd probably fire punchy because he punched a guy at work. I'd fire the punchee for his incompetence and general *******ry. The manager would get demoted until he learned how to manage something.

In a perfect world, at least.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
This one is easy.

Termination.

Workplace violence can't be tolerated. Do you really think this can be worked out?

I was the lucky manager who had an employee reassigned to me after he came back from a 30 day unpaid suspension for workplace violence. This guy was already a train wreck of an employee but always managed to get another chance-and this was before the violent episode. He returns to work and I am instructed to enforce his PIP. PIPs are normally one page-his was TEN pages.

Although there were no more violent incidents, his outrageous conduct continued. A few months in I had enough documentation of his PIP violations to warrant termination. Upper management and HR just wanted him to go away, so they did nothing. Again.

About two years later-with continuing problems with this guy-there is a reorg and we get a new top boss and in the reorg he is assigned a different immediate manager. The new boss is no nonsense and terminates him after another outrageous incident. He actually appealed his firing (it's a union shop) and lost.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:26 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
I would fire both of them and the manager of the guy who kept the laptop for 4 months.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I would fire both of them and the manager of the guy who kept the laptop for 4 months.
I agree with this option. All three of these people should be terminated.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Op, i wished you would har filmed this on your phone. It would have been fun to watch.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
at my company if you touch anybody, like physical fight, both are fired no matter who at fault, no matter who you are, automatically.

we had a college student with an ego that wanted somebody gone. he taunted him all morning, then when he walk by he purposely fell off his stool claiming he got punch. Both got fired automatically. The other person was rehired couple weeks later

Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
This one is easy.

Termination.

Workplace violence can't be tolerated. Do you really think this can be worked out?
If the computer thief returns the computer, and doesn't take anymore computers, then yes, I would consider it worked out. Bet he doesn't take anymore computers...

Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
First post & OP will "keep us updated" on a fight with "managers that are all limp....and a Thunderdome built from cubicles? " ????

Bwahahahahaha.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:03 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Fire everyone involved including those who did nothing once they knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment