U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM

1,166 posts, read 573,782 times

Advertisements

I've heard the argument several times on here from employers saying they won't hire smokers, because it shows a "lack of self-control/discipline" or it "wastes time" or "costs more for health insurance" or insert whatever other argument against hiring smokers you want to use.

I'm just curious if you'd feel the same way about hiring an obese person? Obviously they also lack self control or they wouldn't be so overweight, being overweight causes many health problems just like smoking, and fat people tend to not smell so great (countering the argument of "smokers smell bad").

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just a sign of the times. Smoking is not socially acceptable the way it was in years gone by, so it's "alright" in societies eye's to look down on/discriminate against them. But being overweight is considered more "acceptable" than in most other times in history, so it's sort of like the "new" smoking, in that it's the "hip" thing to do/be. This carries over to a bigger concept that I've had which is "Why is it okay to shame people for some unhealthy behaviors/life choices, but not others?"

BTW, I don't look down on either of them and would hire both, I simply see them as people choosing to live their lives the way they see fit. I care more about whether the person is a good worker and has the skills to do their job effectively rather than if they smoke, are overweight, like to drink, or whatever else. I'm trying to understand societies double standard when it comes to unhealthy behavior.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM

24,571 posts, read 34,746,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've heard the argument several times on here from employers saying they won't hire smokers, because it shows a "lack of self-control/discipline" or it "wastes time" or "costs more for health insurance" or insert whatever other argument against hiring smokers you want to use.

I'm just curious if you'd feel the same way about hiring an obese person? Obviously they also lack self control or they wouldn't be so overweight, being overweight causes many health problems just like smoking, and fat people tend to not smell so great (countering the argument of "smokers smell bad").

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just a sign of the times. Smoking is not socially acceptable the way it was in years gone by, so it's "alright" in societies eye's to look down on/discriminate against them. But being overweight is considered more "acceptable" than in most other times in history, so it's sort of like the "new" smoking, in that it's the "hip" thing to do/be. This carries over to a bigger concept that I've had which is "Why is it okay to shame people for some unhealthy behaviors/life choices, but not others?"

BTW, I don't look down on either of them and would hire both, I simply see them as people choosing to live their lives the way they see fit. I care more about whether the person is a good worker and has the skills to do their job effectively rather than if they smoke, are overweight, like to drink, or whatever else. I'm trying to understand societies double standard when it comes to unhealthy behavior.

Fat people smell bad? Really? What do they smell like? There are several obese people in my department and none of them smell bad. (Full disclosure: I'm not fat.) I wouldn't care if someone was a smoker, either.

I wouldn't hesitate to hire a fat person that I thought was the right person for the job. I would hesitate to hire someone who had BO or was wearing too much cologne/perfume, though. Yuck.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM

334 posts, read 150,903 times
Oh I am so sick of the damn smoking thing. On my second day of a new job, my boss "claims" that a couple of people complained to him about me smelling like smoke. Unless they have super sonic noses, they aren't close enough to me to smell it. I truly believe it is him that has the problem with it since we were working right next to each other as he was training me.

But, the non-smokers can sit there and play on their phones or walk around and chit chat and that's okay, right? Some of the best workers I have ever met have been smokers. Why? Because we don't F around. We go outside to smoke, come right back in, and get back to work. And most of us don't act like the social butterfly of the office or play games on our phone or get on Facebook/Twitter at work.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 AM

10,538 posts, read 14,044,082 times
Issues of weight isn't always a personal choice. There are legitimate medical conditions that causes a person to gain weight or the inability to lose weight. Smoking is a decision a person consciously made on their own. I would be more worry about a person on the payroll who is too stupid to know this!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Fat people smell bad? Really? What do they smell like?
A combination of fast food and BO!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Issues of weight isn't always a personal choice. There are legitimate medical conditions that causes a person to gain weight or the inability to lose weight.
"It's not my fault, I have a thyroid problem!" - says while shoveling their 6th piece of pizza in their mouths!

In all seriousness I understand that medical issues like that exist, but I think it's vastly overused as a cop out and to deflect responsibility for their overeating and inactivity.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM

24,571 posts, read 34,746,867 times
Quote:
A combination of fast food and BO!
I haven't found that to be the case. In my experience people who eat particular types of food on a regular basis are the ones who smell.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,112,720 times
Would never hire a smoker mainly because it's detriment to those around them.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM

9,449 posts, read 11,840,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Oh I am so sick of the damn smoking thing. On my second day of a new job, my boss "claims" that a couple of people complained to him about me smelling like smoke. Unless they have super sonic noses, they aren't close enough to me to smell it. I truly believe it is him that has the problem with it since we were working right next to each other as he was training me.

But, the non-smokers can sit there and play on their phones or walk around and chit chat and that's okay, right? Some of the best workers I have ever met have been smokers. Why? Because we don't F around. We go outside to smoke, come right back in, and get back to work. And most of us don't act like the social butterfly of the office or play games on our phone or get on Facebook/Twitter at work.
Apparently many smokers lack your self-discipline. They take frequent 'smoker's breaks,' and then also "sit there and play on their phones or walk around and chit chat" -- Smokers also often have higher absentee rates than non-smokers due to lung and bronchial issues, which is why smoking is a prominent concern among both doctors and insurance companies.

Also, we smoked about 35-years ago, and never realized until we quit, how noxious the odor was to a non-smoker. I was surprised to discover that one could smell the nicotine/smoke when simply walking down a hallway following a smoker. That's why hotels fine people for smoking in non-smoking rooms, why homes belonging to smokers are a very difficult sell and why so many people drive around hanging their cigarettes outside the car window, blowing smoke out the window and pitching their butts into the gutter, rather than using the ashtray.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM

10,538 posts, read 14,044,082 times
Quote:
In all seriousness I understand that medical issues like that exist, but I think it's vastly overused as a cop out and to deflect responsibility for their overeating and inactivity.
That may be, but, what we do know as FACT is the smoker made the personal conscious decision to Smoke all by themselves; no medical condition even creeps into the picture.

Attempting to deflect the badness for taking up smoking by pointing to other people's socially questionable attributes is pretty much up there on the scale of "Cop-Outs". I have more respect for a person who says they took it up to be cool, became addicted, trying but can't quit and accepts that others find it a disgusting habit versus a person who points to someone's physical shape to take the focus off of them. That's what cowards do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.